Transgo question

homsh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be putting in the transgo shift kit (thanks Troy) and I thought I remember reading not to use the green spring but can't find that thread again so I'm asking the powers that be. :dontknow: Also opinions on drilling one hole or going with 2 for shift firmness. Just a play toy with occasional trips to the strip.

Thanks,
Ray

id like to see what people say since i might install mine next week, i know i heard more then once to leave that green spring out but iiunno about the holes.

Yeah don't use the green spring. I tried it at first. And just bounced off the rev limiter like crazy. It would also hang third just a bit.

with the holes if your just installing the kit just do the one hole. If your installing the stall as well do the two holes. The two holes will make if feel like everytime your doing light to light medium acceleration your drive shaft is going to snap with 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. At WOT its awesome. But with the one hole its just right. i have the two in mine now but i just installed tony's stall and it makes it absolutely perfect and smooth to drive. Shifts just about as it did OEM. but before the stall it was pretty violent shifts. but thats just my 2 cents

sparksftball69;1010394 Shifts just about as it did OEM. but before the stall it was pretty violent shifts. [/QUOTE said:
When i had my 05 QC it would give me whiplash every timje it sgifted 1-2, no matter how much throttle i gave it. EVERY TIME......kind of a PITA.

Was ther somethin wrong or do all the A/T shift 1-2 like that?? just wondering

I used one hole and installed all the springs included with the kit,,,,,But I still did not think it was good enough so I bought and Suncoast Modified Valvebody w/ shift kit and installed it. I am still not personally satisfied with the trans shifting. I think it's more do to the 48RE being a crappy trans and needing to keep the bands adjusted on a regular basis. It does shift strong and chirps the tries under moderate acceleration and light acceleration will break them loose on wet roads without trying..Wot is hard and will sometimes chirp them going into 3rd especially from a roll and hitting the tow/haul button.....The hardest part was getting the kick down shift points to where they felt the best during light and part throttle....All in all much better than stock...

Last edited:
When i had my 05 QC it would give me whiplash every timje it sgifted 1-2, no matter how much throttle i gave it. EVERY TIME......kind of a PITA.

Was ther somethin wrong or do all the A/T shift 1-2 like that?? just wondering

Mine only did it with the light throttle. I'm pretty sure its all do to the increased pressure. Thats why I say that if your not going to do the stall that 1 hole should be fine. If you are 2 holes will be good. I have both holes right now and running the stall and its really smooth. Not sloppy smooth but crisp smooth. I'll shoot a video so you can take a look. I dont have video of before! You'll enjoy it.

Was thinking of getting the same shift kit but i dont want to snap my baby's neck when he is the car is the driveability really that bad?

It will bring it back to as it did from the factory with firmness if you use just the one hole. Also If its still shifting to hard there is a hex bolt that you are supposed to back out flush...I increased mine a bit to incease the pressure and shift a little firmer. I ended up doing the same thing that VIPR PWR did and went to a suncoast valve body (LOVE IT) when i took mine into the dealership to have the bands adjusted, the TV cable and was having a slight 1-2-1-2 shift problem. When i got it back from the dealer ship it never shifted right again... i dont know what they did but i just ended up getting the suncoast. They do good work. I was happy with the Transgo shift kit until I let the dealership touch it though. Sorry got a little off topic!

Got my truck back now for about 3 weeks its annoying with the shift kit installed cant wait to get the stall converter in to loosen up the 1-2 shifts

what did you end up doing with the valve body 1 or 2 holes also...if its shifting two hard you can use this to adjust it... Heres a shot of the hex bolt to adjust the pressure.

WP_000304.jpg

WP_000364.jpg

Its the hex bolt on the end of the orange spring. To do it while its in the tranny you'll have to cut a allen wrench quite a bit...the closer you get the plate to the head of the bolt the less pressure...Transgo instructions say to back it out flush if i remember (could be wrong)...the only thing that sucks if you have to pull the trans pan off just to get to it and if you dont like the adjustment you have to do it again...believe me I know...lol

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back