TransGo Shift Kit vs. Governor Pressure Solenoid Problem

oldguysrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On 09/14/07 at 16,566 miles I had my transmission serviced (band adjustment, fluid, filter) by a local transmission shop that I have a lot of confidence in. While in for the service I had a TransGo shift kit installed. Afterwards I posted my experience with the shift kit supporting it as the best single upgrade pertinent to driveability excepting perhaps the DC Performance Stage II tune.

To make a long story short, within the last couple of months I developed a problem of the truck intermittently behaving as though it was bumping the rev. limiter on WOT 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. More recently I started having the shift search under light acceleration on the 1-2 shift that indicates a problem with the governor pressure solenoid. My dealership replaced the solenoid under warranty. Doing so not only fixed the shift search but also fixed the intermittent indication of hitting the rev. limiter. The initial symptom of bumping the rev limiter being linked to the TransGo kit in combination with a failing solenoid is a symptom I've not seen on the forum so I'm posting in case others experience the same.

My dealership had no problem covering the repair under warranty.

Dan Cragin went the extra mile on customer service pertinent to working through PCM tweaks of the shift points and rev limiter settings even though from the beginning he believed (correctly) it was something mechanical in the transmission. He also hooked me up with Joe at Westminster Transmission as a resource. My local transmission shop spent quite a few hours chasing the problem both in test drives adn on the phone with TransGo. The service tech. at my dealership didn't have experience with an SRT10 or a 48re with a shift kit but provided excellent support in getting things back to optimum. My dealership works on a lot of Dodge diesel trucks and said they average changing one of the solenoids each day (replacement solenoid is not an upgrade).

Considering the failure frequency of these solenoids, going forward when I get my fluid and filter changed annually I'll just get the solenoid changed while the pan's off so I hopefully don't have to deal with this problem again.

Hopefully this info. is helpful if someone has similar experience. At 26,061 miles my truck's back to shifting fast and hard again, with no intermittent laydown/delay. I'm again very pleased with the TransGo kit. Oh yeah, the shop that installed my kit only drilled one hole in the valve body. The instructions allow for 1 or 2 depending on how much harder you want the shifts to be. Considering the experience with the failing solenoid I'd be concerned that having 2 holes for yet more of a pressure increase would have resulted in the WOT shift problems showing up sooner and worse.....but that's just speculation.

oldguy

great info.Very interested in the trans go kit.What kind of $$ you looking at for the solenoide??

Do you have a part # for the TransGo kit ?? And thanks for the info,sounds very similar to what I'm :rock: :rock:

Great tech tip,Thanks alot!!!:rock:

Thanks! Great Post.

I am having my tranny rebuilt as we speak so I can go over it with the builder.

GILMO'S10 said:
great info.Very interested in the trans go kit.What kind of $$ you looking at for the solenoide??

I didn't get a price on the solenoid because it was replaced under warranty. I just did a part search on the internet and it shows at $49.89. I don't expect the transmission show that does my annual fluid/filter change will charge labor since they'll already have the pan off. Considering the fialure rate of the part I'll spend the extra $50 each year to avoid the hassle of a failure.

oldguy

oldguysrt10 said:
I didn't get a price on the solenoid because it was replaced under warranty. I just did a part search on the internet and it shows at $49.89. I don't expect the transmission show that does my annual fluid/filter change will charge labor since they'll already have the pan off. Considering the fialure rate of the part I'll spend the extra $50 each year to avoid the hassle of a failure.

oldguy

U got that right old guy.What a wealth of knowledge you are:rock:

6pakattack said:
Do you have a part # for the TransGo kit ?? And thanks for the info,sounds very similar to what I'm :rock: :rock:

The TransGo shift kit I have has a part number of T22165C on the box. Joe at Westminster uses a different kit that includes a resistor that has to be installed to trick the computer to shift properly with the increased line pressure. Initially I thought I'd gotten the wrong kit installed and that was perhaps the source of my problem. Dan at Baker's Tranmission talked with the tech. folks from TransGo. As it turns out the kit I have is their newer version with the increased line pressure addressed mechanically instead of electrically as previously done.

If the T22165C isn't the part number but instead is the stock number from the supplier, a web search for TransGo to fit our SRT10s turns up the same kit regardless of source.

oldguy

There is a TSB out for this. They may not have officially listed our trucks since most at Dodge forget that they run the same model tranny as the diesels, but here it is:

TSB #21-009-07

SUBJECT:
48RE Transmission - 1-2 Shift Hunt At Light Throttle
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the governor pressure solenoid valve in the
transmission valve body.
MODELS:
2004 - 2007 (DR/DH/D1) Ram Truck (2500/3500)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a 1-2 shift transmission hunt during light throttle application.
This condition may be due to a governor pressure solenoid valve.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04617210 Valve, Governor Pressure Solenoid
4 05013457AA ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
AR 02464324AC Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan (Note: Original pan
gasket is reusable and should not require
replacement).
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable lift. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition switch.
2. Remove the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket. Clean and save the pan
gasket for later use during reassembly.
3. Disengage the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve (Fig. 1).
4. Remove the screws used to secure the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer to
the transmission valve body.
5. Remove the old governor pressure solenoid valve from the transmission valve body.
6. Clean the transmission housing and oil pan gasket surfaces.
7. Lubricate the o-rings on the new governor pressure solenoid valve.
8. Align the governor pressure solenoid valve to the bore in the valve body.
9. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve to the valve body.
NUMBER: 21-009-07
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: May 24, 2007
10. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer and attaching screws to the valve
body.
11. Connect the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve.
12. Install the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket (saved earlier) to the
transmission. Tighten attaching bolts to 13.6 Nm (125 in. lbs.).
Fig. 1 Governor Solenoid And Pressure Sensor
1 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR
2 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID VALVE
3 - ELECTRONIC GOVERNOR
13. Lower vehicle.
14. Add automatic transmission fluid to the transmission.
15. Verify correct transmission fluid level.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
21-96-05-90 Valve, Transmission Governor
Pressure Solenoid - Replace (B)
0.7 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ Service Action
21-009-07 -2-

HaroldD said:
There is a TSB out for this. They may not have officially listed our trucks since most at Dodge forget that they run the same model tranny as the diesels, but here it is:

TSB #21-009-07

SUBJECT:
48RE Transmission - 1-2 Shift Hunt At Light Throttle
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the governor pressure solenoid valve in the
transmission valve body.
MODELS:
2004 - 2007 (DR/DH/D1) Ram Truck (2500/3500)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a 1-2 shift transmission hunt during light throttle application.
This condition may be due to a governor pressure solenoid valve.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04617210 Valve, Governor Pressure Solenoid
4 05013457AA ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
AR 02464324AC Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan (Note: Original pan
gasket is reusable and should not require
replacement).
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable lift. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFFâ€￾ position.
Remove the ignition key from the ignition switch.
2. Remove the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket. Clean and save the pan
gasket for later use during reassembly.
3. Disengage the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve (Fig. 1).
4. Remove the screws used to secure the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer to
the transmission valve body.
5. Remove the old governor pressure solenoid valve from the transmission valve body.
6. Clean the transmission housing and oil pan gasket surfaces.
7. Lubricate the o-rings on the new governor pressure solenoid valve.
8. Align the governor pressure solenoid valve to the bore in the valve body.
9. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve to the valve body.
NUMBER: 21-009-07
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: May 24, 2007
10. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer and attaching screws to the valve
body.
11. Connect the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve.
12. Install the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket (saved earlier) to the
transmission. Tighten attaching bolts to 13.6 Nm (125 in. lbs.).
Fig. 1 Governor Solenoid And Pressure Sensor
1 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR
2 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID VALVE
3 - ELECTRONIC GOVERNOR
13. Lower vehicle.
14. Add automatic transmission fluid to the transmission.
15. Verify correct transmission fluid level.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
21-96-05-90 Valve, Transmission Governor
Pressure Solenoid - Replace (B)
0.7 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ Service Action
21-009-07 -2-

The dealership I use mentioned the TSB and said it wasn't specific to our SRT10s (written for diesel 3/4 and1 tons) but the condition should apply for us also. I expect it would have been covered under warrant but no doubt having the TSB helps.

oldguy

glad you got it working right. i installed the same kit in my truck 3 months ago no problems had to jack with the tv cable to get it to shift right though

i called the parts store to see if i could get a solenoid from them. if so ill post up the part nunber. i was planning on changing the fluid and filter this week anyway so it would be a good time to put a solenoid on.

Ok guys need some advice or help if you will
I had the transgo kit and the gm upgraded solenoid installed in my truck and low and behold when I'm driving home while I'm in over drive and hit the throttle the truck acts like it's hitting the rev limiter and can't find gear please someone chime in with some advice seems like I just spent money for absolutely nothing

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back