Transmission adapter info here

Scrambler1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you considering a tranny swap to a Chevy or other automatic, John Donato (Donato Engineering) is the source. He is very familiar with the variances between different model year blocks. Kit includes the adapter plate and new flywheel. Price is close to $2,000 depending on your year model. He is the only one I know of that makes these adapters.

Haha well he can also convert your 48re to a 48rf. Basically turning it into a regular automatic instead of one that is electronically controlled (as it is now). If I wasn't going as high on HP as I am I might have considered that as an option.

Scrambler1 said:
For those of you considering a tranny swap to a Chevy or other automatic, John Donato (Donato Engineering) is the source. He is very familiar with the variances between different model year blocks. Kit includes the adapter plate and new flywheel. Price is close to $2,000 depending on your year model. He is the only one I know of that makes these adapters.

We'll see how things go for me on the track with the Tremec.

If I just suck shifting, I might consider installing a monster TH400 I have sitting in my shop. Damn thing was built to go behind a 700+ cubic inch engine on three stages of nitrous, so it will probably be quite happy behind my engine. It also has a trans brake for wicked-fast launches!:rock:

Hell, add an air or electric shifter, and I could bracket race that puppy.:burnout:

BTW, have a link or phone number???

Last edited:
John Donato - 248-676-8554

Yeah I'd say that one built for a motor like that would work just fine in your truck. What happened to the 700ci engine??? That is my kind of engine!!!!

MG42pillbox said:
How much did that TH400 cost?

Hmmm lets see, don't remember what just the TH400 was. Total was $7800 including a gear vendors (~$2600) and a custom converter (~$1500) so the tranny itself between $3500 and $4000. Yeah that sounds about right.

MG42pillbox said:
How much did that TH400 cost?

Pretty close.

The trans had just been repaired and completely gone through by Hutch Transmissions (who built it in the first place) before I bought it. It came with a nice converter for $3,500.00.

BTW, I wasn't the one with the 700 inch engine, the seller was. This was his primary trans until he broke it. It had lasted so long he decided to use his other one (identical to this one) as his sole trans, and sell this one off after it was repaired and freshened up.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back