Transmission leak help

sparksftball69

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed a drip coming from the tail section of the transmission (48re) where the drive shaft is. Any suggestions...should I worry.

jsut a tailshaft seal, easy to replace , should be able to get one at the local parts store for a couple bucks, could get worse I would replace

is replacing it hard. and what would cause it to start leaking. I just put in a valve body from Suncoast. It shifts really hard now. and im getting ready to put the stall in not this saturday but next. is it a easy pull and install part?

might want to check if the slip yoke is groovy or if there is alot of slop in the splines.

hell, does it even have a slip yoke????

the stuff coming out looks really dark.. almost black.. what causes them to fail?

its also been flushed recently and new fluid added 3-4 times in the last 3 weeks due to valve body issues and new install.

seals sometimes will jsut go bad, but like zx says , pull the driveshaft check the yoke, ( the part that goes inside the tranny) check and make sure its smooth, also check y our center support bearing, if it is going bad it will let the shaft wiggle and wear the seal, but the black stuff may be part of the seal, jsut nto sure without seeing it

lol

& i don't taste it:(

ummm, good thing we don't step in it:toilet::elefant::elefant::D

Dont want to be a big P***y but how do i take off the seal and install it? anything i should know before i get into it. What all needs to be done?

Zup buddy? They do make a seal extractor/puller you can prolly rent at a parts store and get your money back upon return. You can always carefully pry it out with a screwdriver as well. ON the new one, lightly oil the seal and metal edge of tranny lip where seal will install and use a socket of similar size or a little chunk of 2x4 to squarely seat the new seal into position. Lightly oil the driveshaft yoke as well before initial install of shaft. Should be good to go from there bud. Seal is not too expensive either and buy some tranny fluid while your there since you will lose a good bit out the tailshaft.:burnout:

I appreciate it. What about the drive shaft removal for taking the tranny out? Any help there on the precedure. This will be my first.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back