Transmission noise after the rear axle ratio was changed

Padre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just got my rear axle back installed.
The rear axle ratio was changed from a transmission company to 4.88.

Now I have a loud noise from the gearbox.
Not at full throttle but when I drive slowly and then very little gas give ...

is such a known problem?

I'm desperate ... :(

The workshop is to reach no longer over the weekend ...

Padre

Hi guys,

is such a known problem?

Padre

I know my tranny makes a bit of noise when your rolling with the clutch out and kind of lunge the truck with the throttle off an on at very low speeds... i just noticed that after I rebuilt it - maybe that's a problem?? Also i get a fairly loud whine from the gear box. Even in neutral and reving it goes with the RPM of the motor... :dontknow:

oh, and my shifter vibrates a fair bit at idle... as well as in fifth gear i get a pretty good vibration. something to worry about?

don't mean to hyjack the thread but maybe your problem is similar to one of those??

Hi guys,

is such a known problem?

Padre
it may sound like the gear box but most likly they didnt get the lash correct on the ring install,

I think so too...

I installed the oem shifter back...

Check this out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3u2QgN18Tg&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - Transmission noise SRT-10[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlc6vnMTZoQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - Transmission noise SRT-10[/ame]

:(

Is there any "free play" up and down on the pinion? Seems like alot of turn play. My installer did the same thing. They are scared to cook the pinion bearings so they leave them alittle loose. i had to pull 2 shims out of my stack to get it right! There is no "crush washer" , has to be shimed perfectly on both sides of the pinion bearings.

Hm, there is not to much free play I think...

I think I have to bring the truck back to the installer!?

What is a crush washer? And what do you mean with stack?

Sry dude, my english is not so good...

Padre

Just had a lot of work done to the tranny and differential, I agree with everybody else that it isn't shimmed correctly. I got a lot of info on this subject the past few months and my first gear set did the same thing until we put in a new one and shimmed it again.

yeah there is like a pattern you wnat to achieve, you want the pinion to ride perfectly on the ring, if not on the drift sometimes if you get it out of synch it will what they call sing, alot of times on the draw or downside of shifting

I wish alexspop woudl chime in, he is a king on rear axle set ups:rock:

just so ya know a 4.88 rear end will be a bit more louder than the rest ,,,the angle on the gear to pinion is less ,,,the straighter the gear teeth to pinion teeth the louder it will be ,,,

Hm, there is not to much free play I think...

I think I have to bring the truck back to the installer!?

What is a crush washer? And what do you mean with stack?

Sry dude, my english is not so good...

Padre

the crush washer is a round spacer that is sort of hollow as you tighten down on the pinion nut it will basiclly smash down to form a tight seal ,,,

the stack is the different size washers /or spacers you use to shim the pinion gear so it will mess with the ring gear ,,,the more stack washers you install ,the closer your pinion gear will get to the ring gear ,,

the crush washer is a round spacer that is sort of hollow as you tighten down on the pinion nut it will basiclly smash down to form a tight seal ,,,

the stack is the different size washers /or spacers you use to shim the pinion gear so it will mess with the ring gear ,,,the more stack washers you install ,the closer your pinion gear will get to the ring gear ,,

well look at you:D:D:D

the stack is the different size washers /or spacers you use to shim the pinion gear so it will mess with the ring gear ,,,the more stack washers you install ,the closer your pinion gear will get to the ring gear ,,[/QUOTE

You said it better than I ever could!!!

yeah there is like a pattern you wnat to achieve, you want the pinion to ride perfectly on the ring, if not on the drift sometimes if you get it out of synch it will what they call sing, alot of times on the draw or downside of shifting

I wish alexspop woudl chime in, he is a king on rear axle set ups:rock:

Was with him today tony, and it's funny we were talking about changing gears out and such, Yeah donny is a smart guy.

Also got to hear his camaro today, sounds like a old muscle car :rock::rock:

Yesterday I brought my truck to the garage ...
I hope I have my truck back soon ...
With no noise ...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back