transmission not shift in to passing gear?

rhino75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove my truck the other day for the first time in a couple of weeks and It won't shift down in to the passing gear. It will shift down but not like it was doing. whats the deal? If I drive slow in the neighborhood it will hold it in first gear for a while also. Any suggestions?

Try adjusting the kick down cable at the throttle body...

how? It doesnt have any adjustment on it that I see. I was wondering if the computer or a solenoid has anything to do with it

Make sure you didn't press the OD button, there is also a fuse that may have poped

Courtesy of "VIPR PWR (Jim)" from another thread...

ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

1.Turn ignition switch to OFF position.

2.Remove air cleaner if necessary.

3.Disconnect cable end (3)(Throttle Valve Cable at Throttle Linkage) from attachment stud on throttle lever (1). Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pry or pull cable off. (I I am pointing to the cable in this picture...)
DSCF0001-10.jpg

4.Verify that transmission throttle lever is in fully closed position. Then be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.

5.Pry the T.V. cable lock (A) into the UP position. This will unlock the cable and allow for readjustment. (Photo shown below - "A" refers to the white clip.)
DSCF0002-11.jpg

6.Apply just enough tension on the T.V. cable (B) to remove any slack in the cable. Pulling too tight will cause the T.V. lever on the transmission to move out of its idle position, which will result in an incorrect T.V. cable

7.Adjustment. Slide the sheath of the T.V. cable (D) back and forth until the centerlines of the T.V. cable end (B) and the throttle bell crank lever (C) are aligned within one millimeter (1mm).

8.While holding the T.V. cable in the set position push the T.V. cable lock (A) into the down position. This will lock the present T.V. cable adjustment.
NOTE: Be sure that as the cable is pulled forward and centered on the throttle lever stud, the cable housing moves smoothly with the cable. Due to the angle at which the cable housing enters the spring housing, the cable housing may bind slightly and create an incorrect adjustment.

9.Reconnect the T.V. cable (B) to the throttle bellcrank lever (C).

10.Check cable adjustment. Verify transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously.

(EDIT: My own photos were added for reference. ;) )

Last edited:
So...what are you saying that it is doing or not doing? Just to be clear, our transmissions are 4 speed automatics. The gear ratios are as follows:

2.45:1 1st
1.45:1 2nd
1.00:1 3rd
0.69:1 4th

There is no "passing gear" per se. That term has been around forever, but "passing gear" is really just the transmission downshifting to a lower gear.

So, to help us better understand you problem, you will need to be able to accurately describe the symtoms. At what speed are you noticing your problem, does the tranny downshift, etc.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back