transmission oil change

Houstonsrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question, I want to change the transmission oil on my srt some folks are telling me not to take off the pan because the tranny will never be the same ,my reason for wanting to change is because I've been working out of town and the truck has not been turned on in a long while and the gears don't shift the change

Pull the pan to change the filter...gasket is reusable...never heard that before ---you need to also adjust the bands when doing and 1 is adjusted with the pan removed....

You have other problems if it is not shifting!

Could have it power flushed , cleans out all the old fluid, even from the torque converter, then adjust bands, change filter.

Put a bigger pan on while you are it at too. More oil equals lower average temps, which equals longer transmission life.

Houstonsrt10 said:
...and the gears don't shift the change

Are you saying it doesn't shift? Does it just stay in first gear?

Oh, and you have to remove the pan to change the filter.

"some folks" must be smoking crack... It's necessary to change the filter and adjust the rear bands.

I'd suggest a fluid exchange; I own a T-Tech machine that does it, but any trans shop and some quick lube places should have one.

The issue doing just a pan drop is that you get 1/3 to 1/2 of the total fluid; there's a lot still tied up in the cooler, lines, valve body, and converter. A fluid exchange takes care of that.

DO NOT take it to someone offering a "power flush" - there are not many of these, but they can damage a transmission vs a non-pressurized fluid exchange such as a T-Tech.

Houstonsrt10 said:
I have a question, I want to change the transmission oil on my srt some folks are telling me not to take off the pan because the tranny will never be the same ,my reason for wanting to change is because I've been working out of town and the truck has not been turned on in a long while and the gears don't shift the change

I just bit the bullet and paid the stealership to do it.. They did a flush and checked everyhing out for $140. Changed what needed to be changed and filled her up... I don't have the time/tools between my 60hr work weeks and 15 units of school to tinker on a tranny flush :(

Houstonsrt10 said:

That is pretty dumb whoever told you that. Should have been never drop the pan and your transmission will never be the same.

By the way if it is not shifting right it is more than just the fluid. Fried bands, clogged gov solenoid, or something along those lines.

HaroldD said:
"some folks" must be smoking crack... It's necessary to change the filter and adjust the rear bands.

I'd suggest a fluid exchange; I own a T-Tech machine that does it, but any trans shop and some quick lube places should have one.

The issue doing just a pan drop is that you get 1/3 to 1/2 of the total fluid; there's a lot still tied up in the cooler, lines, valve body, and converter. A fluid exchange takes care of that.

DO NOT take it to someone offering a "power flush" - there are not many of these, but they can damage a transmission vs a non-pressurized fluid exchange such as a T-Tech.

Glad ya caught that ( power flush) wrong terminology:eek: "fluid Exhange" is what I was attempting to say LOL The shops around here refere to it in those terms, I guess it just sounds good ;) ;)

you can get that done here for 110 with the pan power washed.
best to take it to a transmission shop iom, someone thats been doing it for 20 years is not going to screw it up the way a new guy would.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back