Transmission Tailshaft Seal?

brassmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my truck to a shop this afternoon to have the collector flanges tightened up and my buddy told me to come have a look. Its the tailshaft seal and its leaking fairly good. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yep.... First time my local Dodge dealer parts person couldn't figure out which seal it was. Ended up at Napa for the replacement. A while later it started to leak again. Replaced with Dodge seal but still had a slow drip. Pulled the drive shaft again and while it appeared to be smooth/straight I ended up wet sanding it. Re-installed and its been perfect since.

Its an easy job just remember our drive shaft is balanced so be sure and mark the rear yoke. If you can do an oil change you can replace that seal. Do a search as I gave more depth...

Last edited:
well it also depends on if you have a damper on the tailshaft. 04 trucks didn't come with them but 05 did. this is the main cause for 04 trucks leaking. i had to get one because mine was leaking pretty bad.

71dusterjon said:
well it also depends on if you have a damper on the tailshaft. 04 trucks didn't come with them but 05 did. this is the main cause for 04 trucks leaking. i had to get one because mine was leaking pretty bad.

Thats true.... If I had an 04 I'd first start with finding a drive shaft shop who can make sure the balance is spot on.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back