Tremec T56 rattle after changing to Mobil 1 ATF

Eh hem...:hmmmm: As far as all the warranty comments...I do not expect anyones modify trucks to be covered. In fact, I will NEVER EVER take any of my SRT's to a dealer for service (stock or modded). I do my own work ever since I was a tech myself 16 years ago. I am sure this is dead horse issue. The horse is probably even lunch meat by now.

With regards to the tranny fluid...I guess I should have done a search on this one before poking the bear. :D

Its all good Muzzy (btw love the name bro, used them tons back when he did work on kawasaki's)

it was in reference to the buckemiester and warranty:p and two bottless of whale oil:D

Plus Patrick Stoneboy likes the mobil 1 I like the redline dt4:D either is great.

Heck jack it up one day and try the mobil 1 atf, it only takes a few min, if ya dontlikey, then put the dodge goo backin

Im 'trying' the synchromesh right now in the t56 and love that too...a little thicker as it is more of a gear-oil, but A LOT better then the factory syncrap :D. I can actually shift in the morning now.. :D

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
Im 'trying' the synchromesh right now in the t56 and love that too...a little thicker as it is more of a gear-oil, but A LOT better then the factory syncrap :D. I can actually shift in the morning now.. :D

-Red

the only thing I can relate the factory oil to is.................a bad poo after chinese food:D

Watch those derogative Asian comments...I take offense...but not as much as the age denigration that goes on here:p ;) :D

Sincerely,

The resident half Asian, liberal, old fart...

Tremec T56 tranny fluid

RedSrt007 said:
Don't listen to us on the forum, do what I did....Call Tremec and ask to speak to a engineer who specializes in the T56 and then get your answer ;)

Also call t56rebuilds :

Telephone:
(888) 937-4411 ( Toll Free Direct )
(713) 937-4411 ( Office Direct )
(832) 488-0533 ( Cellular Direct )

Thanks RedSrt007. I called T56 rebuilds --> Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic ATF is what they use and recommend. :)

Scott Ross
Billings, Montana

BigSkySRT10 said:
Thanks RedSrt007. I called T56 rebuilds --> Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic ATF is what they use and recommend. :)

Scott Ross
Billings, Montana
Indeed....and Redline D4 has just about the same properties. ;)

Just be ready for some noise from your shifter handle.

Redline makes great products. I run it in my Ducati. I don't think ATF fluid has the same shear properties as gear lube and that's why you have noise. Stink makes a valid statement. Without long term tests, nobody will ever know the longevity of either. Good debate. This forum rocks!:rock:

walenator said:
Redline makes great products. I run it in my Ducati. I don't think ATF fluid has the same shear properties as gear lube and that's why you have noise. Stink makes a valid statement. Without long term tests, nobody will ever know the longevity of either. Good debate. This forum rocks!:rock:

Just for the info, i swapped mine out to D4 at around the 1000 1500 mark or in that area, and thouroly abuse mine:D
but at the moment she has 9800 on her with no problems

Duc's Rock btw:rock:

Stinker said:
Just for the info, i swapped mine out to D4 at around the 1000 1500 mark or in that area, and thouroly abuse mine:D
but at the moment she has 9800 on her with no problems

Duc's Rock btw:rock:
They do indeed Stink.:)

Finally got around to doing mine today.Better shifting but not as great as I was expecting.Still very much worth doing.No more noise than before,which is very minimal (guess I just got a quiet one).I have the Gen 4 shifter from X-Metal.Mine took 4 quarts of Mobil 1.

I drained off a quart of ATF and added a quart of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. I think it made it shift even more smoothly and quieted it down some too.

I am going to remove the transmission next week and drain the clutch master cylinder and then use the RFI method (reverse fluid injection) to put new high performance fluid in from the bottom up to the reservoir.The kit is available from X-Metal. Should have better pedal engagement/dis-engagement.THAT should fix all transmission "issues".

BigSkySRT10 said:
I changed to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF today. Definitely shifts more smoothly.

But now the tranny has a noticeable rattle at idle. It sounds just like my C5 Vettes (1999 hardtop, 2003 Z06) did - both had the Tremec T56. Anyone else notice this after changing tranny fluid?

I'll bet Dodge used the thick Castrol stuff to quiet down the tranny at idle. I remember that a lot of C5 Vette owners complained about the T56 rattle when the car was idling.

Just a thought. :dontknow:

Scott Ross
Billings, Montana

It's been a couple of weeks with the Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic ATF. The tranny shifts much more smoothly and the rattle is gone (at least I don't notice it!). I'm very pleased with the new fluid. :)

Scott Ross
Billings, Montana

Just an FYI...I found this in the Tremec T56 service manual:

"1-1-3. APPROVED LUBRICANT. Most T56
transmission models use Dexron II automatic
transmission fluid. Refer to the vehicle owner’s manual or
service manual for lubricant specifications.

CAUTION Do not mix different brands or types of transmission
lubricant. DO NOT USE GEAR OIL IN THE T56
TRANSMISSION SINCE THIS MAY DAMAGE THE
BLOCKING RING MATERIAL.
"

It seems like the ATF is the way to go. However, it says "most" use the ATF. Which ones do not and what do they use in place of it?

-Muzzy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back