Truck buy update

BecauseRacetruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so a new challenge have presented itself. Since I will be required to carry full coverage on a financed vehicle I've been trying to get insurance quotes for the Ram I will be buying. So far I've just been getting online quotes from all the major ins. companies, for basic it comes up with a quote in the 150-200 a month range but when I try to add higher levels of coverage it comes back with things like "vehicle unacceptable" I understand that these are obviously high performance machines and are high risk to insure but you'd think they would still want my business right...? I've done some asking around and it seems like I might not be able to get full coverage until I'm 25. I will need to actually call and talk to some of the insurance agents to see if there's a way to get full coverage as I know there's no way in hell I can get the bank to make an exemption on their full coverage policy. Even if I can't get insurance the idea of having my truck spend the next two years just sitting in the garage on a trailer waiting for weekend track days isn't too terribly unappealing as it would save me all the money I would spend on gas, maintenance, and insurance which I could use towards paying it off that much faster. What do you all think? Would the bank give a crap that I don't have insurance on a financed vehicle if it's not being driven on the street? Honestly I've always just saved up cash and I haven't financed a vehicle before so I'm just new to the process and I don't want to get screwed over in some way I'm not expecting or be forced into a vehicle I don't really want or something like that. Any tips or advice is very appreciated.

get an 04 , the srt version was an option in 04, it can be listed as a regular hemi truck
05-06 was not an option
you will get alot of opinions on this, but my personal 10 has been listed as a regualar hemi since 04, hence the rates being alot lower

I'll look into that, 05 had a lot of updates over the 04 that I really want (better front brakes, 4.56 gears, etc..) But if it helps me get a 10 easier I would take an 04 without bitching. :D

i have an 05 and its listed on my insurance as a standard quad cab ram and my insurance isnt to bad. but my age might play into why its not to bad also dont know how old you are

not really man, the brakes have two more pistons, but you will never use the ones on the 04 to full potential

4.56 gears are nice, but not that noticable, plus 05/06 you have to contend with knock sensors, 06 is fatass's:D but the best thing is the 04 are the originals;)

Mine is a normal Ram with the srt10 motor swap and im insured through State Farm. I told them i have the SRT wheels, motor, wing and few other parts and wanted to see about covering as a SRT and the lady told me most SRT10 are insured as normal rams also and that if i were to get into an accident or anything and needed my stuff covered id be fine so mine cost me 55 bucks a month for full coverage as a normal ram lol and thats the way it will stay

You crash that truck and Ull get paid how its listed.they think their insuring a dodge ram hemi you'll get paid for one.your taking a huge risk on a big loss.

If you can't afford insurance probably don't need to get a SRT truck. I have a flawless driving record, over the age of 25 and using solid company for insurance in USAA and I'm still paying $120/month, but it's listed as an SRT-10 and I have full coverage and won't ever not have full coverage. Gotta pay to play my friend.

If you can't afford insurance probably don't need to get a SRT truck.

It's not that I won't be able to afford it or that I'm not willing to pay for it. The problem is that they literally will not sell me full coverage until I'm 25, and because I'm financing I'm required by my bank to carry full coverage. If I can't work this out with the insurance company my truck will be track and show use only and will sit in the garage 99% of the time until I'm 25. But I am very committed to getting a 10 regardless.

You crash that truck and Ull get paid how its listed.they think their insuring a dodge ram hemi you'll get paid for one.your taking a huge risk on a big loss.

not true, when you sign up, you give then your vin number. right there tells what you drive.

thats on them then.

not true, when you sign up, you give then your vin number. right there tells what you drive.

thats on them then.

Exactly, also when you set up your insurance there's a space on the form labeled "custom equipment" where you put in the value of all the aftermarket stuff on your truck.

Mine is a normal Ram with the srt10 motor swap and im insured through State Farm. I told them i have the SRT wheels, motor, wing and few other parts and wanted to see about covering as a SRT and the lady told me most SRT10 are insured as normal rams also and that if i were to get into an accident or anything and needed my stuff covered id be fine so mine cost me 55 bucks a month for full coverage as a normal ram lol and thats the way it will stay

Been down this road before. Your vin says it's a hemi ram. Insurance doesn't pay for add on's without additional coverage. Get it in writing. The lady at yur insurance co aint gonna pay outta her pocket for your upgrades if u wreck...even if she said it's covered.

If It's not a daily driver,go with haggerty or grundy.I pay 630.00 a year,no deductable and will receive 30,000 if totaled

Great idea, I didn't even think of collectors car insurance. That will be perfect as my truck probably won't be a daily driver for over two years.

Yep... all you typically have to do is prove to the collector/specialty car insurance company that 1) you have another vehicle that you drive daily, and 2) you have a secure place where your vehicle will be stored (garage).

I have both my late model sports cars with Parish-Heacock and pay $1100 total for both and they are valued pretty high. I cannot drive them more than 3k miles a year, but it sounds like you won't, either.

Sounds good to me, I only need to drive around 6K miles a year as it is. That's the main reason I've never really given a sh*t about gas prices. I could drive the Ram up to half the year without going over the mileage restrictions, so pretty much all summer.
I'm sure this is full coverage right?

My father has been an insurance fraud investigator for 30 years.what I said is true smart ass.it does go by the vin which will indicate the engine telling them its a srt10.not saying its fraud but if they think for some reason your insuring a reg ram and charge you reg ram premiums and you have a loss you will get paid for a reg ram.I've seen many Buick grand nationals insured as regular regals and some very sad people when they get hit in the front and the intercooler cost more than a reg regal bumper header panel grill and core support.there's nothing wrong with trying to get a good deal but you must protect your investment.that's why the bank requires full coverage to protect theirs.there are so many expensive parts on our trucks I couldn't imagine not having full coverage.

I agree and full coverage is the way I want to go, I just have to find a company that will actually sell it to me, most don't seem to want to go anything above basic, it's not like my driving record is even bad.

You'll be glad you did.and if you go the collector car route most have mileage limits but sounds perfect if that's how you'll use it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back