Truck Dead, Help

Does weather play a factor? IE: Rain/temp?

No. It has only happened when it is warm and dry outside so I do no think weather or moisture plays a part.

I do have a theory though: I think the problem is inside the ECM and I think it is a software problem as opposed town a hardware problem. As I previously stated, I was having this problem last fall. It stopped immediately after I uploaded my first tune. I thought it was a coincidence. The problem started again a few days after I removed my tune. Again I thought it might be a coincidence. I tried re-uploading the tune but the problem persisted. However, after having the alternator test good, I dont know what else to think. I am going to contact Torrie to see if he has any ideas. Maybe Justin, Ronnie, or a few of the other guru's will chime in too.

I don'tknow, it's spins slower correct ? I may be wrong.

I would think being a higher amp, that a slower rotation would not hurt it.

I could be wrong, but an audio forum would have a sure answer, they are only allowed 1500rpm during burps in the lanes.

good question, I'll see what I can find out.

slower

Updates:

I did some research via google and found that my problem is common among the Cummins owners. They feel a faulty voltage regulator is to blame. The voltage regulator is inside the ECM, so it is not an easy fix. What some of the diesel guys have done is to splice into the wiring harness and add an older style external voltage regulator. This is a ingenuitive solution, but I was not excited about slicing into my wiring harness. So my only option was to try another ECM.

I was given two extra ECM's to try (THANKS DOM!!!!!!!!!). I did not have either ECM flashed to my VIN. Both of the ECM's produced the same result: The truck would start, idle for about 15 seconds, then die. But, during those 15 seconds, the battery was charging normally. I then reinstalled the factory ECM, just so the truck was in one piece and suddenly everything is working normally again. I still plan to have one of Dom's donor ECM's programmed to my VIN, so I am covered when it breaks again.

Thanks again for all you guys' help and a huge thanks to Dom for saving me a ton of cash!!

I was browsing thru this forum as I am experiencing the same problem. My alternator stopped charging this morning. I've encountered this problem before when it acted funny like charging for a while then turning off. I was wondering if it has something to do with the crank or cam sensor or is it the ECM. Based from your discussion, I'm thinking of replacing the ECM. Thanks guys for the help! :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back