Truck did something strange...

Azmal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went out to my truck to go pick up a pressure washer part and when I started it, I expected the DTE (distance till empty) number to show about 0 cuz I came home last night nearly empty... well it showed 180 miles left...

So... quite confused as to how it got half a tank of gas I start pondering how in the hell could someone have taken my truck and put gas in it w/o the keys (locking gas cap) gradually it started going back down toward 0 on the DTE and the fuel gauge wend down accordingly....

So what in the world could make it think it had half a tank of gas? When I started it, it did seem to struggle for a split second, as if it might not start, but fired right up... maybe that has some indirect relation to it?

Maybe more shorts caused by the audio handy work? To be fair though, I'm pretty quick to blame the audio guys for malfunctions with my truck, so granted, it may not be their fault... this time anyway lol

Not sure really, Somtimes if i just drop my foot on the pedal my gas gauge
goes to E then it stays there for the longest time. After i turn it off then back
on it's fine. Done this twice before. :dontknow:

Sharpi

Its done that to me also....It'll be at 3/4 tank and all the sudden dropped to E.:dontknow: Turned the truck off and then on and went back to normal. Its done it to me once since iv'e owned it.

Sounds like a short someplace... possibly in the wire that goes to the trip computer... or the bus that powers that wire...

I have had mine do that a couple of times... I was under the hood and was working on a power wire attached to the battery (not the main power wire), but one I added, and it sparked when I re-attached it doing so it "wiped" my trip computer memory for no reason.

It would goto 15mpg, and if I had less than 1/2 tank would show about miles that I get on half tank, and if more than 1/2 tank would show miles that I get on full tank.

I was reading there is a recall on the trip computer possibly to fix that problem.. but it was nothing big to me..

I'm thinking maybe I have another short somewhere. Since it was a little slow to start I'd say there's a power draw somewhere which I think that would support the idea of a short somewhere.

I don't think it's isolated with the trip computer/over head display because the fuel gauge went down in relation to the declining DTE numbers. First time its ever done it, hopefully it's last.

I had that problem as well one... I left for 4 days, and came back to a dead battery. I found that it was my remote radar detector "sending unit" up front.. so I put in on a switched connection and that solved the issue.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back