truck down, parts on backorder w/ no ETA

kcsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to take the 06 RC in today because of a bad front right shock, and loud rattle coming from underneath in the mid area. Turns out that the shocks, and the mid-shaft, all need to be replaced. Both parts are on backorder with no ETA. Anybody have an idea what the wait is going to be like for these two parts? btw, the truck still has about 9mo left on the original 3/36 warranty, and has about 13.5k miles on it.

We should have plenty of front shocks laying around, I'm certain someone will chime in on those but what the hell is a mid-shaft???

Make sure they order part number 456782ab to replace the muffler bearings. Its standard procedure when realigning the mid shaft.

Dealers just adding shit to his ticket "your shock , mid shaft , aft shaft and ass shaft all need to be replaced but your in luck were having a special on giving you the shaft this week":D

"intermediate" shaft, and i'm not sure which one he's talking about. everything is covered by the 3/36 warranty, so if the dealer is screwing anybody, its Chrysler who is taking it up the pooper.

kcsr said:
"intermediate" shaft, and i'm not sure which one he's talking about. everything is covered by the 3/36 warranty, so if the dealer is screwing anybody, its Chrysler who is taking it up the pooper.
part of the steering wheel? if so upper or lower? Shocks are in stock in dallas...

kcsr said:
intermediate shaft sounds like the tranny, not sure how it would actually make a bad enough noise, but who knows?

but one thing, are you sure the shock is bad, if so how did they check it, I have never seen a bilstein actually go bad without some sort of damage to it?:confused:

BigRed460 - thanks for the 411

Hatedonmostly - guess i'll give them a week or so to try to source the parts, and then look at just buying upgrades or maybe used stock shocks.

Stinker - tranny intermediate shaft is what i'm thinking, based on where it sounds like the noise is coming from (approx. below the sub box). the shock is making a loud squeaking noise - so loud that i can hear it over Judas Priest turned up to 30. :) KC roads are full of potholes and notorious for being hard on wheels, tires, suspension, so that could have been a factor.

kcsr said:
I had to take the 06 RC in today because of a bad front right shock, and loud rattle coming from underneath in the mid area. Turns out that the shocks, and the mid-shaft, all need to be replaced. Both parts are on backorder with no ETA. Anybody have an idea what the wait is going to be like for these two parts? btw, the truck still has about 9mo left on the original 3/36 warranty, and has about 13.5k miles on it.
In some states you can file a claim for damage due to pot holes, I do not know what exactly the warranty covers, But Bilstein has lifetime warranty.

Lemon Laws in California
California Lemon Laws
The California lemon law is also known by its less popular name “The Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Actâ€.

Warranty law in any state is a complex set of rules that may be understood in basic terms by most consumers. Like most law however, there is not a one to one translation from legal text to plain English.

This California lemon law explanation was created to help simplify the basic concepts of the law. To validate the credibility of this information, there are government reference links placed at the bottom of this article to verify the information provided.

The California Lemon Law
The California lemon law protects consumers that purchase or lease new automobiles. The law clearly states that a vehicle manufacturer must be able to repair a new car in accordance with the express written warranty.

If the vehicle manufacturer or their authorized representatives are not able to repair the new vehicle after a “reasonable number†of tries, they are required to replace the car or refund the money paid for the car to the individual who purchased it.

The buyer is responsible for deciding whether to have the automobile replaced, or receive a full refund for their purchase. This includes all tax & license, towing, registration, finance charges, repairs and other expenses that the consumer has paid and is directly related to the automobile in question.

The buyer is responsible for paying for the use of the automobile however, regardless of whether they decide to receive a refund or have the automobile replaced. The formula for this cost is provided by example.

California Lemon Law Example
Price of Vehicle = $30,000
Number of Miles Used or Traveled in New Car = 12,000
Required Denominator = 120,000
30,000 x 12,000 / 120,000 = 10% of the Purchase Price = $3,000 Required Amount.

In the case example above, the consumer purchased the vehicle and drove it without issue for 12,000 miles. At 12,000 miles however a vehicle problem emerged that could not be resolved after a “reasonable†number of repair attempts. Therefore the individual who purchased the vehicle is responsible for paying for the use of the vehicle prior to the emergence of the problem.

This California lemon law example assumes that the 12,000 mile problem occurred within the vehicle warranty time frame. So if the vehicle warranty is valid for 3 years or 30,000 miles, it clearly falls within the warranty period and thus qualifies under the California lemon law.

If abuse of the vehicle is proven, the California lemon law will not apply. READ THE WARRANTY.

Lemon Law – What is “Reasonable�
As you have read, a vehicle manufacturer or their authorized representatives must repair the new vehicle after a “reasonable†number of tries or be obligated to either replace the automobile or provide a refund to the consumer.

This begs the question, what is a reasonable number of repair attempts?

There is not one answer to this question, but there are guidelines that limit the possibilities.

If the defect of the vehicle is life-threatening such as a faulty steering mechanism or brake failure a reasonable number of repair attempts is 2 or more attempts. This includes the vehicle owner contacting the manufacturer at least 1 time notifying them of the needed repair in accordance with the warranty given at the time of purchase.

In this situation the so-called California lemon law applies during the first eighteen months of ownership or eighteen thousand miles, whichever occurs first.

In other, less critical repairs the number may be 4 or more attempts to repair the vehicle, with the vehicle owner contacting the manufacturer at least 1 time notifying them of the needed repair in accordance with the warranty given at the time of purchase.

The final test for reasonableness provides that if the vehicle has been out-of-service for a total of thirty days or more since the vehicle was purchased it qualifies for replacement or a refund to the consumer.

It would benefit the consumer greatly to read the warranty details and owner manual for specific instructions related to direct manufacturer notification of the vehicle problem(s). The consumer’s failure to follow these instructions may result in a less-favorable settlement in the lemon law case.

These lemon law numbers are not an exact science however and they will be subject to arbitration or a judges ruling. In some cases the manufacturer may request additional repair attempts and based on the arbitration or judgment a ruling on the request will follow

update: i'm sitting at the dealership right now. they got the parts in last friday, so i brought the truck in at 7:30am today to get the work done. tech said he thought they could get it finished in a couple hours, so i'm waiting for it. :) considering the circumstances, i'll be a happy customer to get it fixed in just a few weeks time.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back