Truck not going into park correctly

BadCompany9119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 05 qc and for the past few weeks i have been having trouble getting the truck to go into park correctly, sometimes it's fine and sometimes i have to sit there and put in reverse and back in park a few times before it actually goes into park. I though maybe it was the cable running up the steering column since i had a somewhat similar issues like this on a old truck(idiots at the shop forgot to put the cable in the right place so the gears were all 2 off on the gauge cluster). But it looks fine to me and all the other gears work perfectly fine so i don't think it could be that.

I'm bad at diagnosing problems like these so i though i would ask you guys if you had any idea what it could be.

Only when i try to put it in park and it dose not go, any other time it's fine and acts like normal.

Well two things it could be. Typically when its hard to take out of park the shift linkage piece in the valve body is worn and will stick making it hard to take out of park.

The other thing would be a simple adjustment of the shift cable in the column.

No problem. If you cant figure it out let me know and ill see if i can get you some literature on how to adjust it.

My last 06 QC did this. When you shift from drive to park, Just kind of pull up, and towards you on the shifter more firmly than usual. Once the shifter it all the way up, keep pressure towards you and up. Then while keeping pressure in the up position, push it away from you into park. After I learned to shift it into park that exact way, I got used to it and it never bothered me again. BTW, It is just a cable adjustment if you want to fix it. The next problem you will see is the key wont turn fully to the off position, until you wiggle the shifter.

BadCompany9119 said:
I have a 05 qc and for the past few weeks i have been having trouble getting the truck to go into park correctly, sometimes it's fine and sometimes i have to sit there and put in reverse and back in park a few times before it actually goes into park. I though maybe it was the cable running up the steering column since i had a somewhat similar issues like this on a old truck(idiots at the shop forgot to put the cable in the right place so the gears were all 2 off on the gauge cluster). But it looks fine to me and all the other gears work perfectly fine so i don't think it could be that.

I'm bad at diagnosing problems like these so i though i would ask you guys if you had any idea what it could be.

Mine does the same thing, i dont drive the truck much, but when it does that it drives me crazy playing the reverse park game. Let me know what you find.

I never bothered asking i assumed it was something small like this, so no real point to drive and hour to have them adjust a cable if i can do it.

BadCompany9119 said:
I never bothered asking i assumed it was something small like this, so no real point to drive and hour to have them adjust a cable if i can do it.

Damn your truck looks good..........almost as good as mine:p :D

I found this a while back on one of the forums. Mine was doing the same thing. Tried this and the problem was fixed.... Sounds like the same thing is going on with your truck.... Hope this helps.... :)

No start in Quad Cab
I found I had an intermittent problem in my new QC. Sometimes she wouldn't start in Park, but would start in Neutral. It didn't take long to discover that the illuminated square around the P (for Park) on the dash sometimes wasn't lit, and if I wiggled the shifter, I could get the square to illuminate, and then the engine would start.

I then looked down at the transmission for a way to adjust the linkage. I got a little concerned when I pulled the electrical connector off the transmission near the linkage and found it saturated with transmission fluid (the surrounding transmission is clean and dry), but cleaned it out and then focused my search under the dash. It was there that I discovered a white plastic clip that one must push 3/4 of the way off, and the the throttle assembly can slide back and forth to adjust. Once you get it where you want it, you push the white plastic clip back in place, and the throttle is secured. It took several tries to get it where the squares would light properly and consistently in each gear. Now it shifts correctly, and starts every time.

If anyone's noticed this problem, there's the solution.

Da1Chief said:
I found this a while back on one of the forums. Mine was doing the same thing. Tried this and the problem was fixed.... Sounds like the same thing is going on with your truck.... Hope this helps.... :)

No start in Quad Cab
I found I had an intermittent problem in my new QC. Sometimes she wouldn't start in Park, but would start in Neutral. It didn't take long to discover that the illuminated square around the P (for Park) on the dash sometimes wasn't lit, and if I wiggled the shifter, I could get the square to illuminate, and then the engine would start.

I then looked down at the transmission for a way to adjust the linkage. I got a little concerned when I pulled the electrical connector off the transmission near the linkage and found it saturated with transmission fluid (the surrounding transmission is clean and dry), but cleaned it out and then focused my search under the dash. It was there that I discovered a white plastic clip that one must push 3/4 of the way off, and the the throttle assembly can slide back and forth to adjust. Once you get it where you want it, you push the white plastic clip back in place, and the throttle is secured. It took several tries to get it where the squares would light properly and consistently in each gear. Now it shifts correctly, and starts every time.

If anyone's noticed this problem, there's the solution.

That is it, same as mine and that is what the dealler did exactly.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back