Truck problems...help...

QueLocura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well when I turned my truck on today, the idle was REALLY LOW.
The whole truck starts to shake and it hovers around only 500 rpms. The oil pressure is at about 75 psi in idle! When I drove it very softly around the neighborhood the psi dropped to around 50 but never went any lower. Changing gears was pretty violent since the RPM's would drop so quick and low.
This has happened to me once before and after a day or two, it just went back to normal.
Any ideas as to what the problem is? How could I fix/prevent this?

QueLocura said:
Well when I turned my truck on today, the idle was REALLY LOW.
The whole truck starts to shake and it hovers around only 500 rpms. The oil pressure is at about 75 psi in idle! When I drove it very softly around the neighborhood the psi dropped to around 50 but never went any lower. Changing gears was pretty violent since the RPM's would drop so quick and low.
This has happened to me once before and after a day or two, it just went back to normal.
Any ideas as to what the problem is? How could I fix/prevent this?
any check engine lights? could be a bad TPS, or the idle air control valve is unplugged or acting up

Oil pressure is high, but not crazy high. It should come down once the engine is warmed up. They might take longer then just a quick drive. I thought the normal RPM idle was 500. Higher for flashed PCM's. If it happened before and went away I would maybe some bad gas. Could be the TPS sensor also.

BOOMER said:
any check engine lights? could be a bad TPS, or the idle air control valve is unplugged or acting up
Nope no check engine light. Ran the diagnostic and it gave me no code.
Where is the idle air control valve?? :dontknow:

FlyingLow said:
Oil pressure is high, but not crazy high. It should come down once the engine is warmed up. They might take longer then just a quick drive. I thought the normal RPM idle was 500. Higher for flashed PCM's. If it happened before and went away I would maybe some bad gas. Could be the TPS sensor also.
I actually did end up driving it around for about 20 minutes, the pressure dropped to 50 but never lower, not even idling at a light. My normal idle rpm is usually around 750 rpm and it feels smooth. You can tell right away that the RPMs are too low, the whole truck shakes and it sounds like it wants to turn off.
I'm gonna be starting it up soon to see if it's doing it again.

my idle is arround 750 rpm :) on the QC which is is also shakey now I have the QA1's quite stiff untill I fixed the rear suspension...:eek:

Alright I just tried turning it on again and it is pretty bad. It's idling around 500 rpms but dips a slight bit lower and jumps back up. The truck wants to die out. It almost sounds like I've got cam :D No but in all seriousness, this is some shit.
Should I take it to my dealer and ask them to check the TPS and Idle Air Control Valve??

It sounds like an air or fuel issue.
If you take it to the dealer, they can plug it into their new computers (looks like a tablet PC) and diagnose from there.

Just make sure it's a 5-star dealer. :D

That's weird how that occured then went back to normal afterwards. Mine sometimes makes one ding sound, all of the lights in the instrument cluster come on for a second or two (as if I just started her) then they go off and everything is back to normal. This happens every now and then. But since it rarely happens the dealership is going to say the problem is unfounded and that'll be that.:dontknow:

try some stabil in the gas it will help with the moisture. i get bad gas all the time here and either that or octane boost helps it a lot.

Good morning.......

If the symptom comes and goes, then I agree (that) it could be the old "theif of bad gas".....

One thing's for sure: It's not a fouled carburetor....:eek: ;) :p :dontknow:

I can't think of anything else it could be that comes and goes like that...

But, I'm only a backyard, armchair diagnostician...

Good luck with her.... You'll find it..... Stabil is a good idea....

D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back