Trunk Scanner

jrangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I been looking for one for myself for Xmas. Any one know which model would be a good entry level desktop version? I was looking at Uniden Bearcat or Radio Shack. I want to listen to my local police and fire.

jrangel said:
I been looking for one for myself for Xmas. Any one know which model would be a good entry level desktop version? I was looking at Uniden Bearcat or Radio Shack. I want to listen to my local police and fire.

There are a couple of things that need to be addressed. Is you local police and fire broadcasting in Digital? If so then you will need a digital scanner. Digital scanners can be a real pain in the a$$ to program unless you spend the the money to buy software that programs the radio through your PC. Digital scanners also cost more. Now if they are not digital and they probably are not. I would recommend the radio shack Pro-107. I think it's $179.00 and you don't have to program it. It comes with the entire countries data base of frequencies. It is small and designed with ipod ease. You select the state, county and then the city. Then just listen. Rumor has it that it will becoming out in a digital version sometime next year.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3730721#

noid said:
There are a couple of things that need to be addressed. Is you local police and fire broadcasting in Digital? If so then you will need a digital scanner. Digital scanners can be a real pain in the a$$ to program unless you spend the the money to buy software that programs the radio through your PC. Digital scanners also cost more. Now if they are not digital and they probably are not. I would recommend the radio shack Pro-107. I think it's $179.00 and you don't have to program it. It comes with the entire countries data base of frequencies. It is small and designed with ipod ease. You select the state, county and then the city. Then just listen. Rumor has it that it will becoming out in a digital version sometime next year.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3730721#

I do not know. I listen to them via the web. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=201

I doubt they are digital as the city does not have the funds for that.

Do you know if there is desktop version?

I pretty sure they do not make a desk top version based off the 107. But i think you will be happy with the 107 just for the ease of taking it with you. And the ease of using it. You could always plug a cheap set of computer speakers for more sound and a AC adapter. Any other scanner your going to have to program. If you buy the 39,000 channel digital scanner. I can program that for you if you buy it. But it's not cheap and you would never get the full function of so many channels if it's always stationary.

noid said:
I pretty sure they do not make a desk top version based off the 107. But i think you will be happy with the 107 just for the ease of taking it with you. And the ease of using it. You could always plug a cheap set of computer speakers for more sound and a AC adapter. Any other scanner your going to have to program. If you buy the 39,000 channel digital scanner. I can program that for you if you buy it. But it's not cheap and you would never get the full function of so many channels if it's always stationary.

Sounds good and thanks. I will go to Radio Shack and look it over.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back