Turbo build questions

heat drives the turbine wheel. the smaller the chamber, or in this case manifold the faster the turbine will spool. the down pipe needs to be big to allow the heat to continue its travel without restriction. if there is restriction then there is back pressure. then returning the excess heat into the chamber. so maybe not the tune but more of an understanding of thermodynamics will allow a more efficient set up. Downstream of the turbine you want the least backpressure possible but the heat is what is driving the turbine so that is why wrapping the pipes are beneficial because you are keeping the heat in which in turn keeps velocity up. so pipe size is crucial because too big no pressure and too small too much pressure.

Very interesting. Thanks!

Yea that seams to be the running trend on here lol. Its hard to read on how unreliable these are over 500 hp. My Ls6 is good past 600 on boost reliably.... thats 200hp over stock and it seems like this motor you add 10hp and your in the engine replacing internals.

You are looking at it wrong, WARD. There were more LS6 Corvettes produced, then total Vipers, from the beginning of the model until current. But, how many TT vipers do you see, compared to LS6 Vettes? I see more big horsepower Viper builds. What this means is that a larger percentage of the total Vipers produced are pushed/poorly tuned into destruction. This gives them the reputation of being more fragile. They aren't. There are many examples of Viper engines that lasted very, very well, under adverse conditions.

Last edited:
try to think about the combustion pressure building as it drives the piston down the cylinder and then the exhaust valve opens and releases this pressure through the manifold and to the turbine. this rapid expansion of the gases from combustion is what drives the turbine. absolutely free energy!! as the heat dissipates through the header/manifold and exhaust piping,the gases are quickly shrinking. Remember... amount of air in the engine equals the air out! only thing added is fuel and spark. the reaction is heat and expansion of that air.

the last SRT10 i did was twin sc61 .70ar .81exhaust. 15lb boost. cracked 5 pistons under boost one day because a oil line blew and lost all my oil instantly. before that it ran like a champ. never had a problem with stock internals. the reason for back story...those turbos were sport compact turbos and i think created some back pressure. but its the turbos job to take the expelled heat create then expel through the down pipe. So I would think the wastegate is the factor that allows you to control not just the turbo pressure but also opens and helps control back pressure. right? ....... :/ :shrugs:

You are looking at it wrong, WARD. There were more LS6 Corvettes produced, then total Vipers, from the beginning of the model until current. But, how many TT vipers do you see, compared to LS6 Vettes? I see more big horsepower Viper builds. What this means is that a larger percentage of the total Vipers produced are pushed/poorly tuned into destruction. This gives them the reputation of being more fragile. They aren't. There are many examples of Viper engines that lasted very, very well, under adverse conditions.

Yea I guess that is a good way to look at it. I would be interested to see if there are more viper turbo builds though over LS6. i kinnda fell off the SRT stuff when my 05 TT blew up and tever since been in the vette world.

Very interesting. Thanks!

the last SRT10 i did was twin sc61 .70ar .81exhaust. 15lb boost. cracked 5 pistons under boost one day because a oil line blew and lost all my oil instantly. before that it ran like a champ. never had a problem with stock internals. the reason for back story...those turbos were sport compact turbos and i think created some back pressure. but its the turbos job to take the expelled heat create then expel through the down pipe. So I would think the wastegate is the factor that allows you to control not just the turbo pressure but also opens and helps control back pressure. right? ....... :/ :shrugs:

The turbo is a slave! It is driven by exhaust gases to drive a compressor wheel. In the effect of it being driven it becomes a restriction. Back pressure and or vacuum act on the wastegate to control backpressure by bypassing gases around the turbo.

I had a very reliable vendor of this forum talk me out of "their system" on stock internals! I was only looking for 600whp, and he said "if you don't want to risk blowing it up, don't build it on stock internals"!!! 600hp doesn't sound to safe to me!!!

i meant to respond to this.

if you don't want to risk blowing it up, then don't do ANYTHING. and even then, let's look at several stock trucks which have dropped bearings or valve springs, or otherwise and trashed motors... shit happens.

the flip side is 100k+ mile work trucks with full bolt ons and 300 track passes, and stock trucks with 20 bottles of nitrous fed through them with no issues...

the average boosted HP for a stock truck is 600wheel. mostly 575-625wheel that have tens of thousands of miles with no issues.

you don't know if you got a motor built on a tuesday until you've tried it out;)

any time you go adding boost, nitrous, or otherwise, regardless of the tune, you're driving on borrowed time... could be 10k miles, could be 100k miles... all you can do is put all the failsafes in order, make sure your tuner is competent, and keep your fingers crossed.

i meant to respond to this.

if you don't want to risk blowing it up, then don't do ANYTHING. and even then, let's look at several stock trucks which have dropped bearings or valve springs, or otherwise and trashed motors... shit happens.

the flip side is 100k+ mile work trucks with full bolt ons and 300 track passes, and stock trucks with 20 bottles of nitrous fed through them with no issues...

the average boosted HP for a stock truck is 600wheel. mostly 575-625wheel that have tens of thousands of miles with no issues.

you don't know if you got a motor built on a tuesday until you've tried it out;)

any time you go adding boost, nitrous, or otherwise, regardless of the tune, you're driving on borrowed time... could be 10k miles, could be 100k miles... all you can do is put all the failsafes in order, make sure your tuner is competent, and keep your fingers crossed.

Yup, I expect my engine to come apart every time I make a nitrous pass, every time it holds together is a good day at the track:rock:

Like has been mentioned, tuning is key! Does higher cylinder pressure hurt our fragile pistons? Not as much as detonation or running lean! That's the killer :chain:

If you arent building the bottom end, id part out the turbo kit off the vette and buy a paxton or used paxton made for the srt 10 ram. No custom fab or down time, just bolt it on, get a good tune then have fun. Just my two cents.

Interesting... So do I see a 200 shot and a 10 second pass in your future? :D
It's already got a 200 shot, hopefully with better temps it'll sneak into the 10,s
If you arent building the bottom end, id part out the turbo kit off the vette and buy a paxton or used paxton made for the srt 10 ram. No custom fab or down time, just bolt it on, get a good tune then have fun. Just my two cents.

Best advice on this thread, and it's from a lightning guy:chain:

It's already got a 200 shot, hopefully with better temps it'll sneak into the 10,s

Best advice on this thread, and it's from a lightning guy:chain:
hahaha thats fun! I thought about a SC. because the turbo i have on the vette is too small, I am selling it anyway. Question though..... How about turbo kit with alky and e85.....? anyone have something similar with some realworld data.

hahaha thats fun! I thought about a SC. because the turbo i have on the vette is too small, I am selling it anyway. Question though..... How about turbo kit with alky and e85.....? anyone have something similar with some realworld data.

Running the engine on alky or alky injection under boost? JMB is going to be the most knowledgeable viper turbo guy on the website

Yea i called him the other day to get some info but he was traveling so i figured i would give it some time before i bugged him again. my cousin is friends with him as well and helped him a ton with his night runner a wile back.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back