Turbo questions

Smokey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone on here have some BB turbo knowledge? im looking at a garrett 4088R for a killer price, anyone have some info on it?:D :D

specs? from what ive heard, good upgrade for me. but i cant really seem to find and info on it

thanks alot justin, i'll have to give um a call and figure out what size A/R it is. it would be a amasing single/top turbo

If you look at the attached Garret specs, that turbo is ideally sized for around 475 hp. The compressor side and the turbine side are too small. It is sized for up to a 6.0L motor. Even at the largest A/R of 1.19, it doesn't support enough exhaust flow for big HP. It would likely work with a huge external waste gate so that enough exhaust could be bypassed, but it would make for a system that would have high exhaust temps and it would be hard to make it work well. It would be a good as a twin setup, if you could get another one, although it would probably be a little laggy as a twin.

A better choice for a single would be a 4294R (94 mm) or a 4202R (102 mm).

Attachments

• GT4088.jpg
    GT4088.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
yea, the more i look around and research the less appealing. what do you think about a 64/71/13(maybe a SS cover) then putting a S488 on top of it down the line? i have the fuel now to run the 64, a better cp3 would fuel a 66 no probs, im open to idea's, and they dont have to be a BB turbo

I just noticed you are running a diesel. It would be a decent fit for you.

Smokey said:
yea, the more i look around and research the less appealing. what do you think about a 64/71/13(maybe a SS cover) then putting a S488 on top of it down the line? i have the fuel now to run the 64, a better cp3 would fuel a 66 no probs, im open to idea's, and they dont have to be a BB turbo

I'd do the SS so that you can run higher EGT's. I would think the 66 would be so laggy it wouldn't be fun as a dailer driver, but would be great for towing.

Do you have the intake and exhaust for a 64? If you supplemented with a 50 shot of Nitrous or a propane kit, I think a 64 would be a blast. I'm not really a diesel guy though, so others may chime in with more experience.

rhino75 said:
I have two new 88mm Garret turbos in the garage for sale that will do the trick!

What are the specs, and how much?

Here are the specs of guy over on the competitiondiesel forum running low 11's, weighing in at 7300lbs

Here's the parts run down:

Air:
MPI 62/71/13ss ^ S480 race cover

Fuel:
F1 diesel Flux 3.8's (190 hp)
PPE dual cp3 kit ( Floor It Stg.2 on bottom& stock Dmax on top)
FASS 95gph

Tuning:
I have a Smarty TNT/ R & a PPE Hot+2 Lite timing. These passes were with the low timing PPE. I didn't have time to Load the Smarty to compare, but more timing from it will Def. net me some more HP.

MP8 pressure box on about 70%

Hard Parts:
F1 Helix 2 Spartan Billet cam & Tappet set
F1 sportsman valve springs
Hamilton Diesel's Billet push tubes

ARP 625 studs (@ 150 ft. Lbs.)
O-ring'd head with stock thickness 12v gasket thats been CNC'd to match the CR block water ports from Mumau Diesel.

Stock pistons but ceramic coated on top with teflon skirts. Slightly decompressed- about 16:1 ratio
VP rods - Lightened, polished, radiused, and balanced.
Balanced rotating assembly to zero.

Tranny:
Garmons full Billet with a Diesel Performance Converter triple disk.
Manual TC lock up switch - locking in 2nd gear.

Tires:
Toyo AT 285/70/17 45psi front / 40psi rear

Other:
Wicked Diesel bypass
TS Shift Master
Quadzilla boost fooler

WOT: ive seen that truck over there, its a nice rig. bare in mind he's prob running down the track at 4-5k rpm's. i have the fuel and tuning to run the 64 with no probs, and right now that would put me in the 600 range right off the bat.

turbo's for diesel and gas are very similiar in concept

RHINO: specs and how much? might be a good bottom turbo

Notice, he is running the 62/71/13. I would think the 64 and larger would be laggy.

Not sure about the actual specs. A friend and I was going to build a twin turbo 03 mustang with a 400 cubic inch motor. We got most it done and then we quit on it. He sold the car and has the turbos in my garage he wants 3000 for both of them.

rhino75 said:
Not sure about the actual specs. A friend and I was going to build a twin turbo 03 mustang with a 400 cubic inch motor. We got most it done and then we quit on it. He sold the car and has the turbos in my garage he wants 3000 for both of them.

too much for me right now and i only need 1:p sequential's work best on diesels...smaller feeding the big

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back