U-joints going out?

Sithor

Reaction score
I have about 14K miles on my '05 QC and was wondering if anyone has had the issue of feeling a loose rear end feeling on shifts. I almost feel as if it's a u-joint. Just curious if anyone has had this issue.

Reach under there and try to turn the driveshaft, push and pull etc. You'll be able to tell if a u joint is loosening up. Also visually look for missing caps. Doesn't sound like your problem though.

Describe more what you think is wrong. A clunk during shifts? A clunk going into drive or reverse from neutral?

Sithor said:
Yeah there is a pretty loud clunk at times when shifting from reverse to drive.

Hate to tell you brother, but you may have the same problem I just experienced. Broken spider gear teeth. If the truck makes any kind of popping sound when going around a corner at slow speed, like around a parking lot, then that is likely what is wrong. Easy to self-diagnose, just pull the rear diff cover with the wheels in the air. Rotate the diff 360 degrees. If you see any abnormally worn or broken teeth on the four gears inside the diff, you my friend have a serious problem requiring immediate care.
Have you had any wheel hopping recently? That was the cause of my failure. Good luck with that, and I feel your pain.

Greg

mine makes it from time to time, sounds like it in the transmission to me. had a z-71 do it a couple of years ago, reverse went out after about a month, i know its a totally different truck but it sounds the same.i would check the ujoints first.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back