Unbelieveably stupid (stereo) question...

Ronin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance that the empty hole underneath my passenger seat (driver side) is where the subwoofer is 'sposed to be? There's an unplugged wiring harness just sitting there...

Me thinks that's why my stereo does not rock...at all. Had it up all the way (38) with the windows up and thought it was a joke. My salesman is double checking with service/techs (I bought it Saturday and picked it up yesterday).

To be honest, I had the stereo turned way down and off when I was checking it out, test driving, etc. I was more interested in hearing the motor/exhaust (still NOTHING beats the exhaust on a Jeep SRT. They sound unreal, bone stock...best I've ever heard!) than cranking the local crappy FM stations (lousy expired Sirius!).

Speaking-o-Sirius, if I were to swap to an RB1 (that's the DVD-Rom based nav, correct?) would I loose my Sirius subscription? I wasn't sure if it was head unit dependent...

Thanks!

Ba-ba-booey, ba-ba-booey Howard Stern's penis, ba-ba-booey!!!

Yup, sounds like somebody pulled it out. If you change the stereo you will just need to contact Sirius and get them to swap the subscription I believe.

OCBob said:
Yup, sounds like somebody pulled it out. If you change the stereo you will just need to contact Sirius and get them to swap the subscription I believe.

Thanks OCBob...that's what I thought but the what the hell do I know?! If I'm wrong 90% of the time and right the other 10%, I guess I gotta be right at least some time!

The Sirius shouldn't be head unit specific. I switched out the stock 6 disc in dash for the RB1 in my 05 and the Sirius plugged right in and still worked fine. Even kept my presets. Of course I also wanted to run an external 6 disc changer but fortunately I hooked up with Patrick (Dragon) who hooked me up with a splitter to run both of the single 10 pin connector in the back of the RB1.

The sub should be behind your armrest in the standard cab and its under the seat in the qc. If you have to replace it, you can go the stock route or look at getting a better sub/amp combo. Mine was stolen so that's what I did and it made a huge difference.

But in general, the stock stereo is pretty weak as most are and a pain to replace all the dash and door speakers. If you just want more bass, that's easier to do. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies!

Anyone just replace the H-U with an aftermarket? Crutchfield says you can (and they're usually on the $), but it requires Metra's CHTO-02 radio interface. I'd think you'd loose Sirius too... "Entertainment" is the first priority, more power, bass, etc. will come later.

Thanks!

hell i'm just tryin to get the upgrade amp to work for more than a day that i got from Crutchfield

ZCx said:
hell i'm just tryin to get the upgrade amp to work for more than a day that i got from Crutchfield

Didja use a Clean Sweep or anything like that? Hmmm...

yep. they told me to use the JL Audio CL-144 first. then found it was the wrong one. that amp failed. then they sent me the MTX re-Q5 processor & that amp lasted a day
i'm tryin to use that new Alpine amp, PDX-5. replaced all the speakers with Infinity units.

Last edited:
ZCx said:
yep. they told me to use the JL Audio CL-144 first. then found it was the wrong one. that amp failed. then they sent me the re-Q5 processor & that amp lasted a day
i'm tryin to use that new Alpine amp, PDX-5. replaced all the speakers with Infinity units.

I feel your pain and hope you get it squared away, the automakers are in such a hurry to grab some of the aftermarket A/V or Nav $$$ that they make it easy if you decide to go aftermarket. The aftermarket usually gets it figured out with an adapter, etc., but it sure ain't like the old(-er) days.

Good luck!

thanks. real worried about hookin the 3rd one up till i can figure out whats the deal.
was hopin the was a stereo guru here, but no one has answered my thread yet

ZCx said:
thanks. real worried about hookin the 3rd one up till i can figure out whats the deal.
was hopin the was a stereo guru here, but no one has answered my thread yet

Most of the other forums that I'm on have a separate "Audio/Video" or "Stereo", etc., forum so those posts don't get lost in "General" discussion, etc. Super-noob here is thinking that might likewise be a good idea here???

that would be a great idea for a choice here. HINT HINT:rock: :rock: :rock:
most say that the factory system in our trucks was pretty much made for our trucks.
so info be a bit thin so far.

ZCx said:
that would be a great idea for a choice here. HINT HINT:rock: :rock: :rock:
most say that the factory system in our trucks was pretty much made for our trucks.
so info be a bit thin so far.

I shot a PM to "The Management", I know I'm a noob and all, just thought it'd be a good idea...

got to start some where:rock: :rock: :rock:

ZCx said:
got to start some where:rock: :rock: :rock:

Right on... :top:

I was gonna start a poll ("Who thinks we should have a new/separate forum for Stereo equipment, etc.") but thought I should be here longer for a week before throwing something like that up...

You're not kidding about our stereo being a limited production/application, that sure doesn't help. With the LX platform (Magnum/Charger/300) there's a ton of info out there 'cause of all the people on the road with 'em.

We'll see...

hell even the QC is a bit different from a RC. at least by the factory wirin schematic & what Crutchfield sent me.
just checked out the specs on the MTX re-Q5. should be able to handle what the factory head gives it no prob.
be my luck, but to have 2 amps fail the exact same way is a bit wild.
go for the poll man

The answer to a new/separate forum for Stereos is a "no". That's cool because the "Search" feature works just fine here... :top:

On another note, the sub's in and the verdict is too...

Not gonna cut it. Sure there was some bass and the rear view mirror was shaking but I need bass (on occasion) that punches you square in the chest. The bride wasn't happy to hear that I wasn't happy with it, and I told her it's a similar analogy to having 500HP; I don't need that kind of power all the time, but on the occasions that I do, I need it to be there...

Back to reading!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back