Uneven exhaust tip carbon build-up

RedpopSRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been noticing a seemingly unusual carbon build up on the driver side exhaust tip. Exhaust flow seems more turbulent out of this side than the passenger side tip. Restricted cat maybe on the driver side pipe (knowing that it exits at the passenger side tip)? Maybe nothing. Any insight would be great. It's an MBRP cat-back system.

Exhaust tips.JPG

what muffler ya runnin????

looks like nothing is comin out the r.h. pipe

Does the MSRP muffler have a crossover? seems like the right hand side is blocked

If you think that cats blocked now is the time to catch it. Before you burn up your exhaust valves. Is the engine using any oil?

Thanks for all the posts thus far...definitely have exhaust flow out of the "cleaner" passenger side. As I mentioned, the flow on the "dirtier" side seems more turbulent at idle. Doesn't seem to be significantly different flow volumes from one side to the other. The cat on the passenger side (driver's side tip) was replaced shortly before I bought the truck. Everything seems to be running fine and no trouble lights. If I've noticed anything at all, there may be some hesitation under hard acceleration when the revs get high, but nothing crazy. Doesn't seem to be burning any oil. No obvious holes in the pipe from the headers back.
Is it fairly common for these engines to carbon up exhaust tips pretty quickly?

No taters or apples either...:)

Last edited:
Normally if a cat is not working (won't light off at the proper temp) or missing you will see more BLACK residue on the pipe & back of the truck. Are all 4 cats factory (the same)? Possibly one of the cats was hollowed out due to a loose core or blockage. A reputable muffler shop should be able to do a back pressure test. They will drill a hole in the pipe. Then clamp on a special pressure gauge. The engine is run to see if it has excess back pressure. If the cats good they weld up the hole.

Normally if a cat is not working (won't light off at the proper temp) or missing you will see more BLACK residue on the pipe & back of the truck. Are all 4 cats factory (the same)? Possibly one of the cats was hollowed out due to a loose core or blockage. A reputable muffler shop should be able to do a back pressure test. They will drill a hole in the pipe. Then clamp on a special pressure gauge. The engine is run to see if it has excess back pressure. If the cats good they weld up the hole.

Yes, all 4 cats are factory (same). The odd thing is that the darker exhaust tip on the driver side is the newer cats (passenger side). I would've thought the driver side cats were my problem, possibly restricting flow and therefore not darkening the exahust tip as quickly. I guess I'll try to paper test first. If that's inconclusive, I'll have to take it in to a muffler shop.
Thanks again for all the help.

Sometime there is no substitute to pulling the head pipes down & looking inside at the cats.

Having running problems at high rpm makes me think you might have a blockage.

Cats are indeed different front to rear. Fronts are honeycomb style and rear are spiral round style. You said you have new cats. New aftermarket?

Cats are indeed different front to rear. Fronts are honeycomb style and rear are spiral round style. You said you have new cats. New aftermarket?

The passenger side mid pipe (both cats) was replaced with a gently used OEM set due to blockage shortly before I bought the truck.

I did try the paper test and seemed to find less flow from the cleaner exhaust tip. I'm definitely suspicious of a restricted cat(s) on the driver side. Seems like the logical place to start.

Last edited:
cut the rear two off completely and see what happens... you don't need them and it won't throw any codes...

Good suggestion. I may end up there. I was contemplating a set of catless mids maybe. Does anyone know if Belanger catless mids will mount up and fit between the OEM headers and my MBRP cat-back?

Thanks,

JMB mid pipes should work. They are a direct replacement for the factory cats. That's what I ended going with.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back