Unknown seal

moshehabi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm facing a little problem here and after going nuts over the past few weeks trying to figure this out, was hoping you experts could help me out!

I had a leak from the transmission and ordered an output shaft seal to replace the current one. After we removed the drive shaft, we found the faulty seal...except my replacement one was completely different.

I searched the 2004 Ram SRT parts catalog for hours and hours, and each time I think I've identified the part, it turns out to be different.

Finally after sending the pictures to a number of other mechanics, one of them told me the transmission on the truck isn't the original, and might not be the Ram SRT variant since they don't usually have the Viper logo on them.

I purchased the truck a few months ago and have no idea what the previous owner has done (buying with cars emotion rather than logic gets me into ridiculous situations...).

I have now almost given up, and I'm thinking this was some makeshift seal that the previous owner made in their garage one fine weekend afternoon.

I attached pictures of where the seal sits, and of the seal itself.

Any chance some of you more mechanically inclined folks could take a look at the photos and give me some idea as to what the heck it is I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Mad, confused, and haven't driven my truck for a month :mad:

Attachments

• WP_20140913_002.jpg
    WP_20140913_002.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 290
  • WP_20140913_003.jpg
    WP_20140913_003.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 271
  • WP_20140913_006.jpg
    WP_20140913_006.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 170
The transmissions in the truck most certainly do have the viper logo on them. The seal is different from a viper car transmission to a viper truck transmission. Make sure the place you got the seal from didn't give you the wrong one.

Thanks for the quick response VPRPWRD. Good to know the Viper logo is on both trannys.

I purchased the seal from a well known Viper car and truck parts dealer in the US (I would put the name but not sure of posting rules), and also checked with the local Dodge dealer, and both pulled out the same output shaft seal which didn't fit.

I'm probably ordering the wrong part. Problem is, I can't figure out which part this is to order it, and neither could the local Dodge dealer. My local mechanic says it is definitely the output shaft seal, but every output shaft seal I've seen on the internet looks different. Very frustrating.

Thanks for the quick response VPRPWRD. Good to know the Viper logo is on both trannys.

I purchased the seal from a well known Viper car and truck parts dealer in the US (I would put the name but not sure of posting rules), and also checked with the local Dodge dealer, and both pulled out the same output shaft seal which didn't fit.

I'm probably ordering the wrong part. Problem is, I can't figure out which part this is to order it, and neither could the local Dodge dealer. My local mechanic says it is definitely the output shaft seal, but every output shaft seal I've seen on the internet looks different. Very frustrating.

Give me some time and I will post up the part numbers for both.

If it's too small you received the Viper Car seal. Ours has a 1.885" yoke barrel diameter whereas the car is 1.68"
I can get you the correct seal sir.

Viper car : 4531216AB

Viper truck: 5166053AA

List price on the truck output shaft seal is $20.50. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with.

one more thing to add. There is a tech tip from Chrysler if you are replacing this seal and your serial number on the transmission is lower than 01890 you should also replace the extension housing (p/n 05174631AA), the output shaft seal (p/n 05166053AA), vibration damper (p/n 05174632AA), and the 3 screws that hold the damper on (p/n 06101462)

Hi VENOMOUS1,

The seal I'm trying to replace is 2.5 inches across (edge to edge), about 1.8 inches inside edge to edge, 8 inches around the outer edge, and 0.32 inches thick. It is metallic all around.

Hi VPRPWRD,

The part I ordered was in fact 5166053AA, and that was completely different. It was too large, and didn't look the same. We even checked 05086341AA, 05019026AA, 05080155AA just in case, but they were also different.

The only potential part I haven't been able to locate and physically compare this to is 05086343AA.

Thinking might just order that and see what shows up.

Just had my transmission rebuilt recently and it had the Viper logo on it. As my transmission guy said "the Viper logo means you've got one of the good ones". (stronger internals)

Hi VPRPWRD,

OK that might explain why the new seal doesn't fit. I'll check the tranny serial number.

Thanks!!!

I had my tranny out and can't remember there being a sneaky pete on it! could that tranny be out of a gen 2 viper?

I had my tranny out and can't remember there being a sneaky pete on it! could that tranny be out of a gen 2 viper?

It's on the side of the shifter housing I believe. Every tranny I've seen has the logo cast into the housing. I wouldn't think any truck came with the Viper car tranny could be wrong.

Every single Viper transmission I have seen has sneaky pete on it. I've had them out of Gen 1,2 and 3 Vipers and several viper trucks.

It's on the side of the shifter housing I believe. Every tranny I've seen has the logo cast into the housing. I wouldn't think any truck came with the Viper car tranny could be wrong.

I agree with Scott, I doubt one would come with a Viper car transmission. Not to mention the front of the driveshaft would have to be altered.

Not sure if I'm missing something, but I've been trying to find part #05174632AA, Vibration Damper, as recommended, but it doesn't seem to exist. Mopar has no record of it. Is this not manufactured anymore?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back