Unreal!!! Blown Engine......AGAIN!!!!

faslane505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i wasn't going to do this publicly, but i feel obligated to do so now. as many of you know, about 3 months ago i blew my engine. dodge voided my warranty because i was "racing and abusing the truck".....i can deal with that. so then i decide to go ahead with the rebuild (almost a full rebuild....2 rods and 2 pistons and a crank) and THOUGHT i was taking it to a respectable builder. i picked the truck up in austin, tx last friday. i was so excited...everything appeared it was going my way.truck drove great..sound from the new headers was fantastic..new clutch, new flywheel...lots of new parts. it was alot of money...but worth it. anyways so im under the hood a couple days after i picked the truck up gettin ready to clean my volant air filter when in noticed a set of vacuum lines just dangling in the front of the engine bay on the driver's side...not connected to anything. i grab them and follow them to the underside of the throttle body...im sure it is really easy to overlook such a small object. i mean sure..i wasnt real mad about this...it was a easy fix. Nonetheless...its something that should have been taken care of. so i hook it back up and THEN notice that the IAC (idle air control) does not have anything on it! i started really racking my brain on this one. i think when i first got that Volant CAI..i didnt hook the IAC up to the intake (bonehead move)....the volant intake had a rubber cap instead of the rubber hosing that leads to the IAC. Now granted that was something i did with the old engine for about 25,000 miles....which could explain for how the engine blew the first time, my fault completely... but with a new engine...being built by a certified viper technician....its the mechanics responsibility to identify those types of foul ups and get it right. so i ended putting about 400 miles on this truck while all the time the engine was sucking unfiltered air. i was so mad at this point....but even still, i wasn't going to make a big deal about it...i was just gonna say something to Robert about it and be done with it. so it comes time for my 500 mile oil change. i take it to my local car wash/oil change facility and get the full service job done (minus the happy ending) and about 10 minutes into the oil change the manager asks me to walk downstairs to the oil bay and that he had something to show me. i walk downstairs and i get to where we are standing under my truck and he points up to the cross member and start pulling bolt in and out of the holes. one didnt even have a nut and the other 3 only had a couple turns of the nut on them which left a good inch+ of wiggle room. at this point i am just furious and burning up the phone with robert and him telling me that he get back with me. just moments after i get off the phone he calls me back over to the truck and then he points to the transmission mount. i dont know if it was where the tranny mount bolts to the crossmember or if it was where the tranny mount bolts to transmission...either way, there is a spot for 2 bolts....and NO BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT GET IT!!!!....i dont believe it affected the drivability of the truck at this point since i had drivin it 500+ mile with it like that and for the simple fact that i hadnt had it over 3000rpm yet. so i called back Robert just moments later. No answer. i leave a voice mail explaining the latest problem with the "missing bolts" situation. havent heard from him yet. so today im out getting a few things from around town and im exiting off I-45 and after slowing for a moment or 2, at about 50mph I down shifted to 3rd and then heard a very distinct metal on metal tapping sounds. i immediately pull over into the first parking lot i come to sure enough its coming from the engine...quickening its metal on metal tapping/screaching with every tap of the gas. truck has 800 miles on the new rebuild. im positive none of the other problems had anything to do with the engine taking a poop...but what it does say is how close and how thorough this "viper tech" pays attention to his work. nothing against Robert....hes a great guy and really helped me alot through my rebuilding process and cut me one hell of a deal. But if i have any say in this what so ever...i will never let that viper tech touch my truck ever again. its completely unacceptable for that many items to have been overlooked in the final stages of such a big and expensive job.
Like i said at the beginning...i didnt want to do this publicly, but in light of number of mistakes in correlation with the blown engine, i felt something needed to be said ive rambled on enough for the time being...

Last edited:
i'm sorry your engine blew dude,but do it friggin right next time,all new pistons and rods etc,u get what u pay for,goodluck

Where are you located?

Soooo damn sorry for the problems...and you are not in the mood to hear the following so just don't read...

But for everyone else:

#!. When you blow an engine...going the cheap route is just not smart. If you have bad pistons and rods...think about what you want from your truck...most of us view these things as long term partners...replace all of the rods...hell go to forged rods and pistons if you are already in there!

#2. If you have lines off, return it to the person who did the work immediately. If you find bolts missing, stripped or not tightened, don't drive it until it is made right...and then drive (or have it transported) straight to the mechanic that overlooked doing it right. You may consider arriving at the mechanic's shop with a breaker bar in your hand.

Prof said:
#!. When you blow an engine...going the cheap route is just not smart. If you have bad pistons and rods...think about what you want from your truck...most of us view these things as long term partners...replace all of the rods...hell go to forged rods and pistons if you are already in there!
Prof, what rods did you go with?

That totally sucks!! :(

I would be hard pressed to choose between kicking someone's a$$ and sueing them :mad:

You could always kick yourself for going the cheap route on the rebuild but if you find that many bone head, half ass mistakes on the outside....Then how many did they make on the inside :dontknow: :(

Make them fix it right on their dime..

mmmmtorque said:
That totally sucks!! :(

I would be hard pressed to choose between kicking someone's a$$ and sueing them :mad:

You could always kick yourself for going the cheap route on the rebuild but if you find that many bone head, half ass mistakes on the outside....Then how many did they make on the inside :dontknow: :(

Make them fix it right on their dime..
I agree ................

Prof said:
Soooo damn sorry for the problems...and you are not in the mood to hear the following so just don't read...

But for everyone else:

Man, that is shitty.

I have to agree with Prof. I had a dealership ready to swap out ONE piston, and put the engine back together. Guess what? 8 of 10 pistons were broken. It's almost cheap insurance to swap all of the lower end stuff if it's already out of the truck.

Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction!

What a bad experience....hope it works out.....and please use paragraphs the next time you do such a long post...hard on these old...uhh..tired eyes...

Sure he even owns a torque wrench or knows how to use it?

And the dealership deal is universal.
Had one pull a motor to replace only the rod bearings cause it was warranty work :dontknow:

I am crying on the inside for you dude.

It a sad thing when you put your trust in a shop, and find out that they are not what they appeared to be. Take pictures, and get a statement from the guy who changed your oil. TAKE THAT TURD TO SMALL CLAMS COURT!

Who did you take it to? You just might save another Viper Truck owner from making the mistake giving their pride and joy for these Yo-Yo's to work on.

Let us know how this comes out.

Sorry to hear for the unfortunate problems...Really hope that garage is
going to take care of you...They really should...Hang in there...:(

JOSH!!! DUDE ANSWER YOUR PHOOOOONE!

Sorry to hear this mess hasn't come to an end yet. I am REALLY wondering if you took your truck to the place in Austin I WAS going to have the ROE twin screw SC installed. I'm feeling like I'm glad I didn't go there after all.

You taking her all the way back to that clown probably wouldn't be the best idea. You're going to end up pointing out to him all of his mistakes, so why waste more time with an incompetent tech? I think I mentioned to you that the Viper techs at MacHaik Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep will take way better care of you. Every time I go there I am satisfied. Don't give up bro. She'll be right again.

that sucks. hating it for you dude. keep us posted on how the dealer handles this situation.

I feel your pain!!!,:(
I would definitly bring it back to the dealer.
First,I think they should of warr. the engine in the first place!!:mad:
I say, call the (800) cust. service number in your owners manual and plead your case(LOUDLY).Who cares if your dealer gets mad,Demand a full refund and a recommendation of a 5 star dealer nearest you!!

yeah....if it wasnt a 4 hour drive i would have taken it back to the dealership for the missing line and such....and anthony...i did take it to austin to MacHaik dealer....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back