Update on the Trainman

Trainman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I know it has been too long since I checked in. Here's an update on what has been going on. I have 4 vehicles being worked on as well as working on plans for a garage and train room addition at the new house. Busy nearly every week end with the grand kids, racquetball, softball and train shows.

The SRT-10: Last December I was going to meet Chris Jensen at Famoso for a tune at the track, real cold up here at the new house, and when I started the truck it blew the oil filter and I lost all the oil. No damage to the truck, but I did not go to the track. Since then it has been tough for me and Chris Jensen to get our timing together. Was going about 2 weeks ago but the battery was stone dead, I charged it but got nothing, so I will get that checked out next week. Softball (fast pitch) this weekend. I haven't forgotten you guys.

The CTSV coupe has a new 416 stroker, ported trick flow heads, ported blower and new gear ratios in the 6-speed. The car makes 830 rwhp on C85. the problem is that when the trans was rebuilt with the lower gears (1st, 2nd &3rd) RPM changed the input shaft and the McLeod RXT for the CTSV wouldn't release all the way. With my foot on the floor at a signal, the car would creep forward even with the clutch in. Made it impossible to power shift at 7,000 rpm. Car feels real quick between gears in street driving. working on an aftermarket master cylinder for more travel, hope that works.

The 2000 Firehawk has the 434 inch LS1, built 6-speed, 9" 4.56 rear, roll bar, tubular K member, manual steering...all installed. Hoping to have it on the road in a couple of months. Friday night cruiser , a little surprise for the Dodge Demon and Hellcat boys.....( 3200 lbs, 700 NA hp, hidden nitrous just in case)

Finally....my super rare 1973 Formula SD-455 (1 of 43) is being restored after about 20 years. Car will appear bone stock, no headers, but engine is being rebuilt, extrude honed intake and exhaust manifolds, hydraulic roller , for more power, changing the 3.42 gears for 4.10's and installing a modern 6-speed (what else) for gas mileage. The original color was Aspen Silver, but I am going with the 73 Buccaneer Red, it has a White custom interior (factory) and AC. Car was original with an automatic, but I had removed the air and converted it to a 4-speed stick 25 years ago. In 73 the 4-speed Super Duty Trans Ams and Formulas were not available with AC, only 295 SD's were made in 73 and 1,000 in 74. only the automatics were available with air. My shifter will have the stock 4-speed knob, and the only change from stock appearance will be the Year One 17" Honeycomb replicas (versus the factory 15" version).

The addition to the house has been a long dream of mine. The house has an attached 4 car garage. House is 1 story (4,250 square feet) and we will be adding an additional 6 car attached garage and a second floor train room of 2,137 square feet. It will be over the new garage and half of the existing garage, we are not breaking into the living areas of the house, so there won't be the usual remodeling dust. I am also adding a 30x40 metal building on the property (13 acres) for extra storage.

I feel good for 71 (in August) years old, busy with grand kids, racquetball 4 times a week. Went to the Senior Olympics in Pasadena this June, won a silver medal in Mens Doubles Racquetball (65-69) , my partner was 66, and I won the GOLD medal in the Softball throw, beat the second place guy by 39' (157 to 118)....not bad for an old fart....they were shocked when I threw the softball underhanded.... little did they know it's easier on the shoulder.

Hope to hear from the guys....SRT Brad will be doing some videos soon as I get back to the strip....I want to get the 10 in the 10's ....stand by!

Last edited:
Hi guys, I know it has been too long since I checked in. Here's an update on what has been going on. I have 4 vehicles being worked on as well as working on plans for a garage and train room addition at the new house. Busy nearly every week end with the grand kids, racquetball, softball and train shows.

The SRT-10: Last December I was going to meet Chris Jensen at Famoso for a tune at the track, real cold up here at the new house, and when I started the truck it blew the oil filter and I lost all the oil. No damage to the truck, but I did not go to the track. Since then it has been tough for me and Chris Jensen to get our timing together. Was going about 2 weeks ago but the battery was stone dead, I charged it but got nothing, so I will get that checked out next week. Softball (fast pitch) this weekend. I haven't forgotten you guys.

The CTSV coupe has a new 416 stroker, ported trick flow heads, ported blower and new gear ratios in the 6-speed. The car makes 830 rwhp on C85. the problem is that when the trans was rebuilt with the lower gears (1st, 2nd &3rd) RPM changed the input shaft and the McLeod RXT for the CTSV wouldn't release all the way. With my foot on the floor at a signal, the car would creep forward even with the clutch in. Made it impossible to power shift at 7,000 rpm. Car feels real quick between gears in street driving. working on an aftermarket master cylinder for more travel, hope that works.

The 2000 Firehawk has the 434 inch LS1, built 6-speed, 9" 4.56 rear, roll bar, tubular K member, manual steering...all installed. Hoping to have it on the road in a couple of months. Friday night cruiser , a little surprise for the Dodge Demon and Hellcat boys.....( 3200 lbs, 700 NA hp, hidden nitrous just in case)

Finally....my super rare 1973 Formula SD-455 (1 of 43) is being restored after about 20 years. Car will appear bone stock, no headers, but engine is being rebuilt, extrude honed intake and exhaust manifolds, hydraulic roller , for more power, changing the 3.42 gears for 4.10's and installing a modern 6-speed (what else) for gas mileage. The original color was Aspen Silver, but I am going with the 73 Buccaneer Red, it has a White custom interior (factory) and AC. Car was original with an automatic, but I had removed the air and converted it to a 4-speed stick 25 years ago. In 73 the 4-speed Super Duty Trans Ams and Formulas were not available with AC, only 295 SD's were made in 73 and 1,000 in 74. only the automatics were available with air. My shifter will have the stock 4-speed knob, and the only change from stock appearance will be the Year One 17" Honeycomb replicas (versus the factory 15" version).

The addition to the house has been a long dream of mine. The house has an attached 4 car garage. House is 1 story (4,250 square feet) and we will be adding an additional 6 car attached garage and a second floor train room of 2,137 square feet. It will be over the new garage and half of the existing garage, we are not breaking into the living areas of the house, so there won't be the usual remodeling dust. I am also adding a 30x40 metal building on the property (13 acres) for extra storage.

I feel good for 71 (in August) years old, busy with grand kids, racquetball 4 times a week. Went to the Senior Olympics in Pasadena this June, won a silver medal in Mens Doubles Racquetball (65-69) , my partner was 66, and I won the GOLD medal in the Softball throw, beat the second place guy by 39' (157 to 118)....not bad for an old fart....they were shocked when I threw the softball underhanded.... little did they know it's easier on the shoulder.

Hope to hear from the guys....SRT Brad will be doing some videos soon as I get back to the strip....I want to get the 10 in the 10's ....stand by!

but apart from all that your good to go right?:D

thewelshm

Sounds like you're doing well, keep us posted. Let us know when you go out to Famoso next, I wanna see that thing run.

Most people can't handle doing one of those builds, let alone 4 at a time along with all of your other activities. Great to hear from you again, still looking forward to what that truck will run when you get it sorted.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back