upgrade questions

Srt-BoZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinking of going turbo or blower, my questions are

1. ive heard the motor can take quite a bit of hp what would be a good stopping number 600 650?

2. besides the fuel and tuning, what other upgrades are needed with that power or in general.

3. what can the 05 quad cab trani take power wise?

any other things chime in please.

Srt-BoZ said:
im thinking of going turbo or blower, my questions are

1. ive heard the motor can take quite a bit of hp what would be a good stopping number 600 650?

2. besides the fuel and tuning, what other upgrades are needed with that power or in general.

3. what can the 05 quad cab trani take power wise?

any other things chime in please.

I'm going to let Nowwhat handle this one.

ive kinda looked on the search but i figured somebody had all the answeres lol

I can show you a pic of my piston when you go "over the top" without either a proper tune or too much power with stock internals. I also have a picture of the hole in the block of my original motor. I'll add that the previous owner ran too much nitrous/propane through the motor before switching to the Paxton. It pains me emotionally and financially to go over the details again.

I think that its safe to say that if you have a Paxton or Roe professionally installed and tuned you'll be fine with stock internals. Not sure if any upgrading of the tranny is required with this setup on a quad cab.

Otherwise, the best bang for the buck would be a blower flash from Boomer or DC Performance if you go the Paxton route.

Don't have a QC, but Paxton is a very proven system with these trucks and have a very high success rate. You can push upwards of 8psi with the gen 3 blocks and be in good shape with a nice safe tune. If you take a good tune out of the picture, then your in a world of crap :D

As for the trannys, other QC owners would be better to ask for this, but from all the feedback and 1st hand experience with DC & Nowwhat, the 48r's are junk when you start adding hp to them. In the stock form they are fine, but even with the slightest mods (from what I have seen), an aggressive flash with deletion of the tq management can cause the auto's to give-way.

So to sum it up.... Paxton, built tranny, and good tune :D

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
Don't have a QC, but Paxton is a very proven system with these trucks and have a very high success rate. You can push upwards of 8psi with the gen 3 blocks and be in good shape with a nice safe tune. If you take a good tune out of the picture, then your in a world of crap :D

As for the trannys, other QC owners would be better to ask for this, but from all the feedback and 1st hand experience with DC & Nowwhat, the 48r's are junk when you start adding hp to them. In the stock form they are fine, but even with the slightest mods (from what I have seen), an aggressive flash with deletion of the tq management can cause the auto's to give-way.

So to sum it up.... Paxton, built tranny, and good tune :D

-Red

I couldnt agree anymore!!!

We have ONE person who did not damage their vehicle with a turbo!!! ONE !!! I lost count on how many blew up.....some twice!!! Stay with a Paxton with help from DC Perf. or Boomer. Or you can look into the Roe Racing SC. Otherwise stick with bolt ons.

patrick

sounds like the blower is the route to go, ive never had a novi ive had two vortech and procharger blown vettes and a 04 cobra so i have experience with the roots "twin screw" and the cent. blowers.

so back to the trani thing what all needs to be built and who does it? cost?

Srt-BoZ said:
so back to the trani thing what all needs to be built and who does it? cost?

Suncoast Converters for your transmission...... Get all the billet internals that you can. You'll be happy you did. Best upgrade to start off with is the trans IMHO. That is how you transfer the power to the ground.:burnout:

Buy an RC to play with.
Bad Venom had one for sale already blown with built innerds!

Hennessy

How much cheddar you trying to spend. All I got to say is 1000 Horsepower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This package is pretty expensive but you can get a 1000 HP or an 800 HP upgrade. :rock:

I have a Suncoast and full billett and I have been happy with it, except for a leak that I'll address when I get it back from Boomer. Nowwhat did fine with an upgraded band and strut, you can PM for details. Also I think he and 1fast400 have been real happy with a transmission guy at DC Performance.

Just a Paxton on a otherwise stock internal motor is good for around 650hp w/o any problems. Mine is at Boomers right now getting nitrous added so we'll hopefully see what it makes on how much juice pretty soon. Deffinately get Boomer or DC performance to do the Paxton. IT'S ALL IN THE TUNE!!

Joe

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back