Upgrading to Flat screen HD TV ?'s

Alberta-SRT said:
For my wife, cable is just fine. I'm not home that much and when I am I hardly watch any TV. She does not want another remote and we don't have room in our stand for anymore hardware, plus I would still like my Picture in Picture to work. We may upgrade in the future when I stop travelling, but for now we have plenty of channels and 1 remote from our BOSE home theater that runs everything. Even that took her way to long to figure out. At the farm we have a dish and she finds it too complicated. So what type of Flatscreen would be the best for basic cable?

Sony Bravia LCD

avmech said:
I don't know if you play video games or if you have grand children that play video games but a plasma TV will get images burnt into the screen as where a LCD will not. Also for a cheaper alternitave and in my opinion has a better quality picture DLP is the way to go. They are getting thinner all the time and will last longer then the plasma.

plasmas will last you about 30,000 viewing hours, which equats to about 15 years.... and I have heard that DLP is going bye bye in the future....

OCBob said:
You know what would be really cool? A tv will built in wireless networking. Have some software that would allow you to use it as a computer monitor so that you could watch stuff right off your laptop. Hell, just have a browser on it and you could surf the net on it. Could even hook up your game system wireless.

I don't think there is anything out there, at least I've never seen it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11246_7-6481048-1.html

:)

My pioneer plasma dose have a input so you can use it as a computer monitor. It is not wireless like OCBOB wanted but it is availible. One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post is that plasma Tvs generate a lot of heat. After a couple of hours in a small room the temperature of the room will raise a bnch if you don't have good ventilation.

Seems like everything in TV land is only about 52 inches these days.....

I know there's a Mitsubishi that's 73 inches.... But other than that...?

Is there a reason for the lack of 60inch screens nowadays?

D

wheredwhogo? said:
plasmas will last you about 30,000 viewing hours, which equats to about 15 years.... and I have heard that DLP is going bye bye in the future....
Didn't Sony stop making their DLP's? You can always find people that say one type of tv is going to be fazed out. For now you can't go wrong with any choice, it's all personal preference. I have preferred plasmas for awhile now and have a 50" Samsung. If I couldn't go the plasma route then I would have looked for a 3 chip DLP like jrangel mentioned. When I was looking I didn't care for the motion blur and black levels of the LCD's but each new generation (of any tv) just keeps getting better.

i went with a 46" samsung dlp (720). you may not NEED the 1080...take the money you save and buy a blueray dvd player to go along with it!

OK, so what's the bottom line: Should you go 1080p or 720p?
First and foremost, some people just want what's considered the best spec on a TV. If you're one of those people, spend the extra dough, you'll feel better in the long run. Secondly, if you're thinking of going big, really big (a 55-inch or larger screen), or you like to sit really close (closer than 1.5 times the diagonal measurement), the extra resolution may make it worth the difference--as long as you have a pristine, 1080i or 1080p HD source to feed into the set. And finally, it's a good idea to go with 1080p if you plan to use your TV a lot as a big computer monitor. That said, if you set your computer to output at 1,920x1,080, you may find that the icons and text on the screen are too small to view from far away (as a result, you may end up zooming the desktop or even changing to a lower resolution). But a 1080p set does give you some added flexibility (and sharpness) when it comes to computer connectivity.

If none of those factors jump out at you as true priorities--and you are working on a tight budget and want to save some dough--a 720p set is going to do you just fine. HD will still look great on your set, I swear.

also read this and check out the viewing chart...http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

Last edited:
SANCHOBA said:
i went with a 46" samsung dlp (720). you may not need the 1080

OK, so what's the bottom line: Should I go 1080p or 720p?
First and foremost, some people just want what's considered the best spec on a TV. If you're one of those people, spend the extra dough, you'll feel better in the long run. Secondly, if you're thinking of going big, really big (a 55-inch or larger screen), or you like to sit really close (closer than 1.5 times the diagonal measurement), the extra resolution may make it worth the difference--as long as you have a pristine, 1080i or 1080p HD source to feed into the set. And finally, it's a good idea to go with 1080p if you plan to use your TV a lot as a big computer monitor. That said, if you set your computer to output at 1,920x1,080, you may find that the icons and text on the screen are too small to view from far away (as a result, you may end up zooming the desktop or even changing to a lower resolution). But a 1080p set does give you some added flexibility (and sharpness) when it comes to computer connectivity.

If none of those factors jump out at you as true priorities--and you are working on a tight budget and want to save some dough--a 720p set is going to do you just fine. HD will still look great on your set, I swear.

also read this and check out the viewing chart...http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

1080p

Learned a lot talking with one of the Sears sales staff.

http://pages.samsung.com/us/hd/?INT=us_home_banner1_hdsite

This is the one I like. Gotta have the 120 hertz and and 50k to 1 contrast ratio. Of course it aint cheap. 40' was $1600, 46' not in stock, 52' $2600. Not in a rush to buy so I will keep educating myself.

Once I really started paying attention to the features, you really see the difference in different brands and models.

patrick

I didn't have time to read all the other posts, so Im sorry if offend or say something again.

1080p is the only way to go, if you are looking for quality.

LCDs are not the way to go. They are too slow EVEN at 120hz. DLPs are LCDs/light engines etc.. also. I have a 72" DLP running at 120hz, and you CAN see ghosting.

Plasma will give you the best picture possible! Panasonic is ALWAYS rated very high in consumer reports!!

DO NOT BUY AN LG EVER, TRUST ME, TOO MANT PROBLEMS, AND BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

I have heard good things about Vizio, but again its an LCD.

If you are looking at 42" and under, go for a 720p, You cannot see the difference between 1080p and 720p at that size.

I have had very good luck with every Samsung I every bought.

Jeff Kehoe said:
I didn't have time to read all the other posts, so Im sorry if offend or say something again.

1080p is the only way to go, if you are looking for quality.

LCDs are not the way to go. They are too slow EVEN at 120hz. DLPs are LCDs/light engines etc.. also. I have a 72" DLP running at 120hz, and you CAN see ghosting.

Plasma will give you the best picture possible! Panasonic is ALWAYS rated very high in consumer reports!!

DO NOT BUY AN LG EVER, TRUST ME, TOO MANT PROBLEMS, AND BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

I have heard good things about Vizio, but again its an LCD.

If you are looking at 42" and under, go for a 720p, You cannot see the difference between 1080p and 720p at that size.

I have had very good luck with every Samsung I every bought.

Very good info there, folks. ;) Some say... "Oh, but Plasmas only last 15 YEARS!!!" :confused: :dontknow: .... I don't know about you, but with the way tech is moving, who is going to have a TV for over 15 years? :eek:

Black1 said:
Very good info there, folks. ;) Some say... "Oh, but Plasmas only last 15 YEARS!!!" :confused: :dontknow: .... I don't know about you, but with the way tech is moving, who is going to have a TV for over 15 years? :eek:

I have the Vizio 60" plasma and its nice...i really like it...great picture...awesome customer service, at least with me.....

From what I've been able to glean from the industry people 1080p is way ahead of the broadcast curve anyway. They say that is is very rare for a broadcaster to present anything on screen that's more than 720p. Moreover, they won't be broadcasting in 1080p for awhile to come.....

Has anyone else heard that and what is your opinion...?

D

I have had my sharp aquos for over a year now... the tv is just plain awesome. Adjust to the light in the room... killer set. Would buy more if I had the money laying around.

Django said:
From what I've been able to glean from the industry people 1080p is way ahead of the broadcast curve anyway. They say that is is very rare for a broadcaster to present anything on screen that's more than 720p. Moreover, they won't be broadcasting in 1080p for awhile to come.....

Has anyone else heard that and what is your opinion...?

D
i read this:
What content is available in 1080p?
Really, nothing at this point. Today's high-def broadcasts are done in either 1080i or 720p, and there's little or no chance they'll jump to 1080p any time soon because of bandwidth issues.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back