Valve train noise

EODSRT-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok its been a while fellas i know. Just got back from the sand box again.
So I am driving down the road today and turn down the radio only to hear what I thought was an exhaust leak. I pull over and pop the hood, no exhaust leak! I have always had some valve train noise, I know this but now it sounds like a lifter! just reving the engine a little by the throttle body I hear this ticking a little but when the engine is under a load while driving down the street I hear it very well. Any thoughts? I haven't gone over 3K RPMs since I noticed the noise and am down to riding the R1 until the turbo gets put into the stang and hope I don't have to tear apart the engine in the truck right now

have someone hold the brake and the e brake on , take a long piece of heater hose, hold it up to the oil pan and to your ear, have the put a little pressure onthe pedal and hope to goodness you dont hear anything.

very little have these engines had much valve train noise, it does happen , just not often

Stinker said:
have someone hold the brake and the e brake on , take a long piece of heater hose, hold it up to the oil pan and to your ear, have the put a little pressure onthe pedal and hope to goodness you dont hear anything.

very little have these engines had much valve train noise, it does happen , just not often
What he is doing is creating a very crude form of a stethescope. Whats up Doc:D

Mine has always had a ticking. Local dealer said it was the injectors firing. Sounds to me like a lifter.Mine has done it since day one.

I think im experencing the same thing. The sound seems to be coming from the passenger side. It doesn't do it all the time with me, but sometimes when I give a little gas the noise is there. I've changed the flange gaskets, no luck there. Was told by a friend that it might be a bad spark plug, and or maybe my header gasket. :dontknow:

If there is noise in the oil pan what does that mean Stinker?

mine does it all the time... but i'm sure my big cam and heads work dosen't help hahaha

if there is noise in the oil pan, spun rod bearing,

if you dont here it there most likely ya good to go.

and yep , a good ol fashioned stethascope:)

Ok just woke up and gonna go check it out. Thanks for all the input, I'll let "you people" know in a few. LOL yes I said "you people" dam speed freaks!!!

Dang just woke up....must be nice. Been at work since 6am :p

Yea I am working nights this week and didn't get home till 7:20 this morning.
OK I have a mechanics stethoscope and listened to the whole passenger side oil pan under a load. It sounded nice and smooth, no clankidy clank what-so-ever. I scoped the whole top side of the engine as well, all the valve train sounded normal, of course there were some minor variances from rocker to rocker but these are stock so I expected that.
I am just concerned because this tick was not there or at least not that pronounced before and seeing as how I am under boost and all the horror stories I have read you can understand my FREEKING OUT.

Alot of people say these trucks make alot of noises, to get used to it, but when its a new noise, its hard to overlook it ya know.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back