Viper Cam Bearings

msdnga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought you guys might be interested in knowing about this. I have 2 8.3 blocks here with stock cams that had piston issues from boost and stock castings. Both blocks' cams did not go back in properly (even polished the cams) and to solve this, our machine shop has a boring bar over 50" to center bore the cam tunnel oversize.

Some may already know the Viper clearance is tight on the cam .002 as there are no cam bearings in the block. The block is machined for the cam. So anytime a failure involving metal happens, the contamination can easily damage the machined surface. To solve this, we are overboring the tunnel and aligning/ installing cam bearings. I feel this is a great mod as we can even turn down the cam journal for better clearance also. Any failures after that, the bearings can be changed out.

I have a 3rd block with billet mains I am also doing this to. This is the twin turbo engine, after working with this many and the power levels, I think if your engine is out, you should highly consider this easy mod. Later!:)

Line boring should always be a priority when rebuilding a hi po engine,I,ll be installing bearings in any future builds I,m involved in.Thanks for bring this up Marty!!!!!:rock: :rock:

Stinker, did you use the Pro Gram caps?

msdnga said:
Stinker, did you use the Pro Gram caps?

Shoot man I couldnt tell ya:dontknow: I dude in tx did all the engine work, and to be honest couldnt even tell ya the cam specs, kinda ended up a wierd deal:(
thats why this winter, mine will come apart, and go thru the entire bottom end and add heads;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back