VTCOA Florida Race Weekend, Options, if you signed up vote here.

What track do you want to run??

• Total voters
Rice Eater said:
geeze that is a crazy ass insurance requirements for the road courses!!!! i am with NBT keep it simple stupid! the only experience i have is running many runs down the 1/4 mile...i have no experience road coursing it.

Exactly.... get your novice permit, seat time at sanctioned events through the SCCA,NASA...ect. THEN get out on the road course. The track is not going to just let 20 people show up and run it. IMHO.
AND it would not be adventageous to you or any of the others running the course. This has to be structured, organized, and staffed accordingly.
The opposite is going to produce confusion, accidents, and anger.... none of which would be worth the $$ and time put into it.

Renting part of the track is also an option(east track)...so IF we were to run Solo...the opportunity to get more runs in would be possible.

NBT said:
Exactly.... get your novice permit, seat time at sanctioned events through the SCCA,NASA...ect. THEN get out on the road course. The track is not going to just let 20 people show up and run it. IMHO.
AND it would not be adventageous to you or any of the others running the course. This has to be structured, organized, and staffed accordingly.
The opposite is going to produce confusion, accidents, and anger.... none of which would be worth the $$ and time put into it.

Renting part of the track is also an option(east track)...so IF we were to run Solo...the opportunity to get more runs in would be possible.

I concur.:rock: were still waiting for 6 more guys to vote, i think. What happens if its a 50/50 tie, hummmmm?

I am down w/ the least hassel possible. Someday I'd like to get more involved in road course racing and go to some events but I don't have the time to dedicate to that right now. That one MOPAR weekend at morosso looks sweet. Looks like there is a hemi truck shoot out and some other contests....would be nice to have a bunch of SRT10's representing there! I don't think this has to be a private "us only" event for us to have a good time. This might be a good option since its a full weekend and the cost would be down saving us more $$ for hotel and beer and dancing girls!!!!:rock:

Rice Eater said:
I am down w/ the least hassel possible. Someday I'd like to get more involved in road course racing and go to some events but I don't have the time to dedicate to that right now. That one MOPAR weekend at morosso looks sweet. Looks like there is a hemi truck shoot out and some other contests....would be nice to have a bunch of SRT10's representing there! I don't think this has to be a private "us only" event for us to have a good time. This might be a good option since its a full weekend and the cost would be down saving us more $$ for hotel and beer and dancing girls!!!!:rock:

I can get on the road courses....and have had the offer for ten of us to run. Sebring in July.... just a bit too hot. AND it always seems to rain in the summer....
I had a chat with our Medical Director....who was the MD for the SCCA/FL for many years...she is hooking me up with some contact people...and I am waiting for replies.
I agree that we should attend the gig in DEC @ Moroso regardless

Just in....

Hi Ken,

I am Central Florida Region’s chief of grid. Please let me know what you are interested in and I can put you in touch with whoever can answer your questions.

All the specialties always need a helping hand.

We have a driver’s school coming up on the 15 & 16 of July, then our double regional at Daytona the weekend of Aug 5 & 6. Will you be at either one? Please come over and introduce yourself to me.

:D

I will be attending one of the SCCA meetings locally within the next two weeks.

Like u guys said, I am down with the least hassel. Its already going to be a lot with making it a weekend, 20 or so guys, hotel, beer, hanging out, gas, and the down payment for the track, so on. I think the choice is obvious but the people have spoken so far. I just dont think i can spend that type of money for a weekend blow out. I am trying to buy a house.

15 down 5 to go. not that it matters now. the moroso guys lost the vote. :0(

I have a feeling we'll end up at Morosso. 2nd and NBT....VPRHLR wants to meet up at Morosso on Friday....you guys interested??

I'm in for Draggin, but think I'd be out for the road course..... Guys no offense but unless you've had some seat time and training, autocrossing with novice buds in PICKUP/BRICKS is a scary proposition to me. It was bad enough running paces with some friends of mine when we all had Z06's.... let alone our high hp tanks. Theres alot that can go wrong when your learning how to come out of an apex, keeping your truck straight down the short track(drag) seems like a better proposition to me.:)
But of course thats all for you to decide! count me in if ya decide its the drags.

Need4speed said:
I'm in for Draggin, but think I'd be out for the road course..... Guys no offense but unless you've had some seat time and training, autocrossing with novice buds in PICKUP/BRICKS is a scary proposition to me. It was bad enough running paces with some friends of mine when we all had Z06's.... let alone our high hp tanks. Theres alot that can go wrong when your learning how to come out of an apex, keeping your truck straight down the short track(drag) seems like a better proposition to me.:)
But of course thats all for you to decide! count me in if ya decide its the drags.

Thank You Tim
Been trying to "steer" everyone that way....Was at the SCCA meeting last night, and met the District 1 folks. There is a more to it than dropping $$, loading a helmet, and running a road course....really "can't" happen. The track will not assume the liability. And no single individual here should or can assume it either.

It seems to me that:

This needs to be established through an organization with insurances, structured itinerary, experienced workers...the list goes on.
Not even going into instruction, permit/license, seat time...ect.

I looked at finding openings at an already rented track through a local club for the later part of the year....we could get 10 of us in for the road course....but again....your "swimming with sharks"....these guys are not screwing around!
I have had the offer for 10 trucks to run @ Sebring this month....bring a helmet....and your in......and on your own... :banghead:
Call Phil and your in.... not sure if there are instructors there or not.
http://www.safemotorsports.com/schedule.htm

Again....do not get me wrong....I would love to run a road course...but I am not ready for it yet...getting there....physical is done....(anyone here have their drivers permit physical done yet?)
When I am "ready ready"...I might make a day of running this pick up truck.....
Probably only cost 1400 bucks (at least 4 tires)to run that day plus entry...if nothing busts.

I welcome anyone's input to provide me with any better information if thay can.
This is where I was at with it to date.:D However it still needs to be a hosted event.

This is where I am at with it now.....

http://www.scca.org/Club/Index.asp?IdS=01C517-1B91070&x=030|015&~=

All of us have done the burn-out at a red light, or taken that curve at more than the “suggested speed,” imagining ourselves as racers while never leaving our street cars. With Performance Driving Experience (PDX) events, you don’t have to dream anymore!

So You Think You Want To Be a Racer
Run at different track locations throughout the country, the PDX provides an instructional environment for drivers who simply want to improve their driving skills and increase their enjoyment of driving their street vehicle. True to the “run what ya brung” adage, all it takes to be a part is your street car, a valid license and a helmet.

You Will Be A Better Driver

PDX events are about you, the driver. Plenty of seat time, plenty of individual instruction and a ton of driving exercises make up a PDX; all of which is designed to educate you and make you more confident behind the wheel, both on the track and on the street.

Participants receive a solid blend of driving instruction, ranging from the classroom to in-car training to “follow me” drills. A wide range of topics are discussed and shown at a PDX, including: following a “racing line”, passing zones, speed limits and other general driving techniques. Of course, each driver receives feedback from his or her instructor at the end of each lesson.

PDX events are non-competition based. Why? Because the focus is on you. Three other levels of the Time Trials program provide competition, but it’s important that the skills taught at a PDX are learned beforehand so you as a driver can enjoy the latter levels of the program the way they were intended.

Next Stop: Club Trials
Now that you’ve received some instruction and feel you’re ready for something a bit challenging, Club Trials is where you want to be.

Club Trials continue the instruction you received in the PDX, but adds advanced driving techniques, competition rules and introduces the elements of a timed event. Your street car is still perfectly acceptable, but you might start to see a few race-prepared vehicles too!

With Club Trials, you now get to feel what it’s like to be on the track and go against the clock no matter what you’re running that weekend.

There are two more levels to the Time Trials program, designed for even more racing action! Check out the Time Trials page for more information about the levels discussed here and on Track Trials and Hill Climbs, the third and fourth levels of the Time Trials program.

Here are some SCCA pre-requisites for you to get on to some of the courses... Not sure about some of the other organizations...

DRIVERS SCHOOL INFORMATION & CHECKLIST

HOW TO OBTAIN YOUR NOVICE PERMIT:
Any SCCA member who possesses a current SCCA Membership Card, who is 18 or more years of age, and who holds a valid license in the State of his residence may apply for a Novice Permit.
The following four items are required in order to have a Novice Permit issued to you.

1. An SCCA Physical Form completed and signed by your doctor.
2. Two (2) passport sized photos
3. A photocopy of your current membership card and State Drivers License.
4. A $110.00 check made out to CFR-SCCA.
5. Mail the above items to the Regions Novice Permit Issuer:
Joyce Hayward, 457 Drage Drive, Apopka Fl 32703
email address: [email protected]
Phone & fax - 407-884-7889

NOVICE PERMIT:
Your Novice Permit serves as your license. You will be required to present it at each event until you receive your Regional Competition License. Do not lose it! Your Novice Permit goes into effect when issued and is valid for two years from date of issue. You must keep your SCCA membership active for the Novice Permit to stay valid. The Registrar at each event will ask to see your membership card and your Novice Permit.

MINORS (16 & 17 years of age)
An SCCA member who is 16 or 17 years of age, who holds a valid Operators License in his or her state of residence, which allows the solo operation of a motor vehicle, may apply for a Novice Permit, to the National Office only.
Only the National Office may issue permits to minors. Phone - 1-800-770-2055.

GENERAL COMPETITION RULES (GCR)
A copy of this very important rule book is included in the cost of your Novice Permit.
You will receive an updated GCR each year when you renew your membership.
When you receive it, thumb through it and get to know it. The GCR contains a lot of important information about how our Club works, the rules, safety equipment, and procedures that you will need to know.

ENTRY FORMS
Entry forms for Central Florida Region schools are published in the Region's Newsletter THE CHECKER. They are also published on our CFR website at WWW.CFRSCCA.ORG. If you are attending a school outside your home region, you will have to call to have an entry form sent to you. There is a list of driver schools, dates, and phone #'s listed in your "Sportscar" magazine each month. Or you can log onto the Southeast Division web site at WWW.SEDIVRACING.ORG.
When you receive the form - fill it out COMPLETELY and mail it to the Registrar listed on the entry with your check for the entry fee amount.

RACE CAR
Obviously, one of the top priorities is to have a car! Your car must conform to one of the SCCA race classes as outlined in the General Competition Rule book. If you have any doubts as to your car meeting the regulations, contact your Region's Chief of Technical Inspections or the Chief of Driver Training. You will find their phone numbers listed in the front of the "Checker".
If you are renting a car for the school, you should make arrangements as soon as possible. Be sure that you understand what the rental includes, i.e.: track support, fuel, tires, etc. BE SURE you are aware of the owner's position on damage to the car. There are quite a few racers who are willing to rent their cars. Be sure all conditions of rental are in writing.

PERSONAL SAFETY EQUIPMENT
The following is a list of REQUIRED safety equipment that you will need. Refer to Section 17.23 of the GCR to get specific requirements for the equipment. (Safety Helmet, Driving Suit, Underwear, Gloves, Socks, Hood and Shoes).

CREW
You will need to line up one or two crew volunteers. You will be much too busy to spend much time on your car without missing something. While you meet with your instructor, your crew should be able to check the tire pressure, torque the lug nuts, and check the oil, coolant, and other fluid levels. The crew should also be aware of your needs. It is of vital importance when you get out of the car to get cooled down and get fluids back into your system. BRING GATORADE OR WATER ---NOT SODAS!!

SCHOOL PREP
It is a good idea to pack all of your equipment as early as possible to avoid the last minute forgetfulness that we all suffer from on occasion. Be sure all your paperwork is in order; you have your Novice Permit, your membership card, your GCR, the car's Log Book and Transponder number. Make sure you have all your Driver's equipment and a good supply of Gatorade or water. Confirm your crew and that your car is ready. Bring your GCR along as well. You will need it at the school.

FRIDAY EVENING
ALL Phase One Students (those who are attending an SCCA Drivers School for the first time) are required to be at the Friday Night Classroom session. Be there early enough to go through Registration prior to class. If you miss part of the class, you will miss important information. The class is interesting and informative and will help you as you go through the school as well as throughout your racing career. There is a 50-question test at the end of the class that covers the material discussed and general knowledge of the GCR (Know your Flags - section 9.4). Passing the test (minimum 80%) is required prior to being allowed on the track Saturday morning.

SATURDAY MORNING - BE ON TIME!!!. The drivers meeting on Saturday morning is where you will be assigned your instructor. If you are not there on time and miss your instructor's assignment, you may also miss the "station wagon tour" of the course, which is important to familiarize yourself with the course. This is graded time, and counts as part of your track time.

After the Drivers Meeting, you will spend the next two days in constant contact with your instructor. He or she will watch your driving, evaluate your techniques, and suggest improvements. Your instructor will be grading you on a 1 to 5 scale with 1 being the lowest and 5 the highest. The average Phase 1 Student should receive 2's and 3's while the average Phase 2 Student should receive 3's and 4's. To get a 5 in judgment, technique, reactions, or lap times means you are equal to an experienced driver. Very few students are in this category so it should not be considered bad not to get 5's.

Your instructors are there to HELP YOU. As well as the entire staff at the Driver School.
They have given up their weekend to help you get started, and teach you as much as possible; so listen to them, and take the time to try and do what they tell you. It may not be easy at first, but little is easy to begin with in a sport as complicated as racing. Just remember they are VOLUNTEERS; this school, and your future in racing could not happen without them.

Central Florida Region, SCCA

Last edited:
nbt, they will live and learn. Like i said I cant afford to blow that kind of dough for a few days of track time. Moroso is more of a fit. If one of these guys screws up on the track because they dont have the expecience, they are going to be in a world of hurt and pretty pissed off if something happens to there truck. probaly count me out for the track but i will go just to watch have hang out. if its moroso, i will run her down the track for sure.

Rice Eater said:
I have a feeling we'll end up at Morosso. 2nd and NBT....VPRHLR wants to meet up at Morosso on Friday....you guys interested??

Ur a freakn mad man? Not in this weather. The rain is god awful every stinkin day. plus i am going out of town for awhile. I'm out for friday. thanks for the invite though.

Sorry for dropping the post....

My day for you fellas.... getting some "homework" done.....

sebring0706040.jpg

sebring0706031.jpg

sebring0706006.jpg

sebring0706010.jpg

sebring0706024.jpg

Let's all do each other a favor...and stick to the straight track. MAYBE...the short track at Moroso.:dontknow:

We are not qualified, have the appropriate staff, volunteer's, insurance...ect...ect...ect. to pull off Sebring.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back