Walbro 400lph install - with pics

Silver Tide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize for posting this here but I cant post to the DIY section yet. Hopefully someone else will find this helpful.

The pump came with the connector which plugged in to the factory wires. So no need to drill and run wires through the top of the pump. You will have to un-pin the factory connector and switch the wires since the pumps positive and negative are on the opposite sides.

Once the pump is out disconnect the wires and remove the fuel line from the pump.
20150413_152524_zpsqwtiq3gs.jpg

The black bracket is attached to the basket so I used a small razor blade to separate just the two tabs shown in the pic. (in this pic the walbro is already installed. the factory pump has the white top)
20150413_154057_zpst5fat4qh.jpg

Once the tabs are loose, pull up enough to remove the factory pump. Then slide the walbro under the bracket and into place.
20150413_153951_zpskxjvkekq.jpg

I used zip ties to make sure the pump stayed in place. Drill a hole just large enough into the basket and black bracket to get the zip tie through.
20150413_155121_zpsfklplshg.jpg

install the new rubber fuel line and clamps. Then connect the wires. (make sure you have un-pinned the factory connector and switched the wires!) If you look closely at the pics, I havent done this yet and had to drop the tank again to correct. :stupid:
20150413_155525_zpss9wn4ujb.jpg

I also replaced the line outside of the tank connecting the pump to the fuel line with a piece of braided fuel line.
20150413_184750_zpszqpyfw3o.jpg

With all the time and effort to install these, plan on using the right replacement hose.
Having had issues in the past due to ethanol in the gas, make sure you use the correct type of hose.

I have a question about the wiring. In your post you said you have to switch the factory connector pins? Are you saying that the factory red wire is neg- and the orange wire is pos+?

I'm guessing since you had to drop your tank a second time you had it hooked up backwards. It didn't hurt the pump when you tried to start it?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back