wanted wrecked truck bed.

Bed tailgate doors fenders grill bumpers hood core suport and maybe cab?

TNVIPER said:
I agree with Dawg about weight....I was just lookin at the truck the other night thinking about carbon fiber panels....other than minor power mods I am putting my money towards losing weight...me & the truck....:p

Did this with my 93 mustang. You would be surprised on what you can loose for weight. It is a fine line of saftey and how much you want to keep the truck streetable or usable.
In the Mustang, we stripped the interior. Scraped all the sound deadener (black tar stuff), brackets that really weren't needed holding stuff in, new seats (no backseat). We put the plastic interior stuff back in.
Then if you really cared, the body is next. You going with the bed is a good idea, what about doors, front fenders, maybe whole cab?? Glass is heavy (plexy back window?). Is there anything you can do to the mechanics that will safley loose weight? Then you can go after weight of things that spin like rims and driveshaft. Would tube type control arms save anything?
You can go on and on and drive yourself crazy.....

linemup said:
Bed tailgate doors fenders grill bumpers hood core suport and maybe cab?

I wouldn't want to drive that on the street and definatly would want one heck of a cage around me.
I have seen people pull the metal part of the bumpers off of cars to save weight........

walbert said:
Did this with my 93 mustang. You would be surprised on what you can loose for weight. It is a fine line of saftey and how much you want to keep the truck streetable or usable.
In the Mustang, we stripped the interior. Scraped all the sound deadener (black tar stuff), brackets that really weren't needed holding stuff in, new seats (no backseat). We put the plastic interior stuff back in.
Then if you really cared, the body is next. You going with the bed is a good idea, what about doors, front fenders, maybe whole cab?? Glass is heavy (plexy back window?). Is there anything you can do to the mechanics that will safley loose weight? Then you can go after weight of things that spin like rims and driveshaft. Would tube type control arms save anything?
You can go on and on and drive yourself crazy.....
Thats why I am just sticking with the bed and of course the hood. The bed is very easy and doesn't take away from safety and gives you more options at moding the rear end. look at the nascar trucks the bed is just a shell with an x frame and weight over the wheels. and yes rims and tires help loose weight also. plus I want to keep the body stock.

Prof said:
Just for you Matt:

f0015.jpg
Is the bed even on there anymore? thats just a little took wrecked for me thanks though:D

DevilDawg3097 said:
Thats why I am just sticking with the bed and of course the hood. The bed is very easy and doesn't take away from safety and gives you more options at moding the rear end. look at the nascar trucks the bed is just a shell with an x frame and weight over the wheels. and yes rims and tires help loose weight also. plus I want to keep the body stock.

I totaly agree. Wouldnt a thin metal shell with bracing be lighter? I'm no Nascar fan, but what are the bodys made of? Metal or composite?

just shave 75lbs off the truck another 80 soon no one will notice .....hint no carbon fiber that is a weight savings of 150 lbs hahahahhahahah thats cuttin stuff out that does not need to be there

505'sFastestViper. said:
just shave 75lbs off the truck another 80 soon no one will notice .....hint no carbon fiber that is a weight savings of 150 lbs hahahahhahahah thats cuttin stuff out that does not need to be there

Just have all the parts Acid milled. Oldest trick, a few seconds in the tank and the bed can be 1/2 as thick(1/2 the weight):D The prosess is used a lot in the arospace industry.

includemeout said:
Just have all the parts Acid milled. Oldest trick, a few seconds in the tank and the bed can be 1/2 as thick(1/2 the weight):D The prosess is used a lot in the arospace industry.
Yes, this works great. Just don't leave them in the tank too long, or it's good bye part. Is there any acid tanks big enough for the bed of the truck to fit in?

Bill

Silverback mentioned aluminum...what is better, cheaper, easier...???

walbert said:
I totaly agree. Wouldnt a thin metal shell with bracing be lighter? I'm no Nascar fan, but what are the bodys made of? Metal or composite?
Composite and fiberglass. Yes 505 I am cutting out stuff that serves no purpose the carbon fiber will just be used for cosmetics purposes.
ANd the cost of acid dip for the bed around here cost more than a new bed:marchmellow: The bed when I am done will just be a shell to keep it looking like a normal 10 there will be a cover over it to hide the skeleton. and will be tubbed to take slicks. Then when your not racing you put youe orignal bed back. Then I can concentrate on placing the weight where needed. Ill find the site of the truck bodies.

Gosh Matt, sounds like you are mixing apples and oranges....a street truck (daily driver?) and you are going to have a carbon fiber, tubbed bed?

I would stop right where you are and consider what you are doing...

It just seems to me that you are in need of two trucks...one for the track and one for the street. Better think hard about what you want the truck to be. If you are going to try to build a 10 second truck, it will be very expensive and difficult for it to also be a street machine...

Just my opinion...but it might be more cost effective in the long run to have two vehicles for your wants and needs.

Prof said:
Gosh Matt, sounds like you are mixing apples and oranges....a street truck (daily driver?) and you are going to have a carbon fiber, tubbed bed?

I would stop right where you are and consider what you are doing...

It just seems to me that you are in need of two trucks...one for the track and one for the street. Better think hard about what you want the truck to be. If you are going to try to build a 10 second truck, it will be very expensive and difficult for it to also be a street machine...

Just my opinion...but it might be more cost effective in the long run to have two vehicles for your wants and needs.
Not really the bed comes off in ten minutes and as far as hp for daily driver I am where I am at the 750hp comes after I forge then I can spray. Thats all the hp I think I am going for now. Also making another bed will just be for track racing. Id doesn't matter what vehicle if you can't get some of the weight off you can build a 2000hp truck and only run 11's.

Removing and reinstalling a bed will take 15 mins at the most when I am done, by myself, have a hoist in the shop. When you don't do it for a living it seems like a major task. Remember how you said sean can change your plug wires in a 1/2 hr now. It is just second nature to us who turn wrenches for a living. Now I beleive I too can change my plug wire not in 1/2 yet but less than an hr. And Then I will have the best of both worlds nothing comes easy without blood sweet and tears.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back