Watched this....

What the heck keeps that top heavy thing from falling ver hahaha
The sheer amount of hull (buoyancy) UNDER the water lol. Also all that top heaviness is balanced.

USS_John_F._Kennedy_%28CVN-79%29_in_drydock_at_Newport_News_Shipbuilding%2C_Virginia_%28USA%29_on_29_October_2019_%28191029-N-BD319-110%29.JPG

I sure hope the new ones aren't all electric!!

She was the last oil burner, it was inevitable. There will likely be parts of her incorporated into the new one, if tradition s followed. The last ENTERPRISE (CVN-65) had portholes from her predecessor (CV-6). Also you can almost guarantee anything the Kennedy family donated to display on the ship will migrate to the new one. They're nearly done:

CVN-79-USS-John-F-Kennedy-026.jpg
That is correct for the last conventional carrier. From what I remember, they had planned to make it a nuke, but things changed. We had an extra water purifier onboard, never had water rationing. This is a gorgeous ship!

Big and bad .. aren’t they making all ships Nuclear now ?
Just the big carriers. Everything else the navy has is either diesel or gas turbine powered.

I can barely back up my SUV with a camera! Great bit of navigating these captains do :D
The tugs just got her big ass lined up, there isn't room for them to be in the dock with her lol. Once she was close enough and lined up, a line was attached to the stern and a capstan slowly pulled her in. One tug at the bow to steady it and multiple lines on both sides to keep her centered.

That is correct for the last conventional carrier. From what I remember, they had planned to make it a nuke, but things changed. We had an extra water purifier onboard, never had water rationing. This is a gorgeous ship!
Congress happened lol. They got cheap, which is stark contrast to how they're bitching at the navy now about how many carriers the fleet currently has (it's an actual law that the US Navy has to have at least 11 active carriers and the ability to fight multiple front conflicts; the FORD that just joined the fleet just recently put that back at 11). That's why she has a very unique exhaust stack, integrated into the island. She was supposed to be a nuke. Made her a one off.
As each new FORD class comes online they are going to start decommissioning the older NIMITZ class carriers. They're planning a one for one replacement along the way, but that will take quite a few years.

Well I've been learning a little about our Navy ships! Never knew any of this before!

Great info Hemi and lots of knowledge you have - thanks :cool:

I don’t need no stinking camera
I don't even like that thing!! It distorts the view! All the modern conveniences that are dumbing down the population are incredible. Convenient maybe but what's the price?? Can't shift, can't parallel park, can't back up - good lord

I don't even like that thing!! It distorts the view! All the modern conveniences that are dumbing down the population are incredible. Convenient maybe but what's the price?? Can't shift, can't parallel park, can't back up - good lord
Car driving themselves while passengers sleep on a run way near you ready to take off and fly you to your destination .. Johnny CAB !

Who needs to think when the devices think for you .. hahaha ! Appears to be the way of the future AI and I-Robot

Backup cams are handy for the Rams in the same way they are handy for the Charger/Challenger/300 platform.....it's a big ass that is many times hard to judge rear distance with (side to side os for the mirrors), especially in the cars. In my old truck I set it up so I could look at it whenever I wanted; turns out my newer truck was built with this feature lol.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back