Water in the rear part of the cab?

SergioL.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been raining a lot lately and I keep getting water in the storage compartments behind the seat and on the sub. I'm not sure where it is coming from looks like maybe the rear window. Has this happened before?

yes, probably leak in the third brake light. Happened to me last year during some heavy rain. Dealership told me that the seal that goes behind the light can't be sold separately, that you have to purchase a new third brake light in order to get the seal, but they had a guy who makes his own seals out or rubber cement-like compound that seals way better than any rubber seal. Only issue with what he did was when I needed to remove my light to install an aftermarket one it was a huge PITA to get the light off because that stuff is sticky as hell!

My rear sliding window leaks. Take your truck through a self propelled automatic car wash and watch to see where the water comes in.

I have noticed small water spots on the inside of the rear window but I just don't see how that much water can get in. Have you found a fix for this caveman or are you just learning to live with it?

I don't want it to start to smell/rust.

Last edited:
yeah silicon will probably work. Mine wasn't a lot of water, I couldn't even tell because it was just dripping down from above the headliner, but a buddy was riding in the backseat and he saw the water going down my seat and noticed it was from a leak.

I took the third brake light off and the seal seems to be in excellent condition. Everything looked dry behind it but I still cleaned the area up and put a thin bead of silicone on the seal to make sure. I will wait and see what happens but I think it will end up being the rear window. If it is I might just end up swapping to a solid rear window for a cleaner look.

I have noticed small water spots on the inside of the rear window but I just don't see how that much water can get in. Have you found a fix for this caveman or are you just learning to live with it?

I live in the high desert (very dry and hot), so I am not super concerned about it. When I get around to fixing it, I'll send you a PM letting you know what it took.

Switching to a non-sliding back window seems a little extreme. It looks like mine is an easy fix. Did you try running it though the car wash, yet?

No, not yet. But it seems to only do it when it wants to. Sometimes it rains and it's dry other times there is a puddle back there.

mine was like that when I bought mine. that week I went through a carwash to get the pollen off and noticed it. I took it back to them and they cried "Wolf" and wouldnt fix it. I took the 3rd light off and used clear Silicone around the edges and havent had a problem since. Hopefully I wont ever have to replace that light though.

One thing I started doing [after finding 1" under rear passenger seat] was to park the truck on a slight incline so water does non run down the full length of the roof.. It's been dry since then.

One thing I started doing [after finding 1" under rear passenger seat] was to park the truck on a slight incline so water does non run down the full length of the roof.. It's been dry since then.

Do you have a QC with a sunroof? If so, check the seal clearance on your sunroof. Should be able to slide a business card between seal and body and have slight resistance when removing. If it just falls in then there will be way too much water getting into the drain channels/tubes and will overflow and then leak either out of the front grab handles or down the back window and behind the rear seats depending on which angle the truck is parked. To clean the drain tubes you have to drop the headliner. I posted about this also in the past as I had quite a leak which resulted in having to get the carpets replaced due to mold. That is when i discovered that in addition to sunroof seal being off the third brake light seal was tango uniform as well. It's fixed now but it really made a mess because it was leaking for some time before I discovered it.

If you don't have a sunroof then I just typed this all for fun and it is your rear sliding window or the third brake light. :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back