water temp question

john b

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck runs at 205deg. in town and 190 on the highway with 80deg. ambient temp. Is this normal? I have installed a 170 deg. stat. The electric fan is on but does not seem to be blowing to hard. Is there more than one speed? I have 50/50 mix anti freeze.

Electric fan? Stock is hydraulic... 2 speed, high speed kicks in a 213*, I believe

Tune will help, fan is 2 speed, high is like a hurricane.......coolant should be 70/30 hoat type, zerex go5

Your right, the fan is hydraulic I've never seen one of those before.I didn't look close enough. I will change my coolant and see what happens, I've been thinking of getting a tuner also. Thanks for your input.

You got 2 drain plugs on the bottom of the block for draining the coolant. One on each side of the block under the cylinder area. The starter blocks access to one side. The rad has its own drain also. A lift will be your best friend on this job.

Likely as said you need a tune to accomadate your lower temp t stat. You shouldn't be that warm. When did you swap stat? Winter mod? You've burped air from the system?

My truck runs at 205deg. in town and 190 on the highway with 80deg. ambient temp. Is this normal? I have installed a 170 deg. stat. The electric fan is on but does not seem to be blowing to hard. Is there more than one speed? I have 50/50 mix anti freeze.

That's perfectly fine, both of my gen 3 viper engines do pretty much the exact same thing. You changed the T stat but with the fan still programmed to come on at factory temps it's not going to run any cooler in town, it'll just take a little longer to get that warm.

Where is best place to get tune? Is it something I can do myself or do I have to be very computer literate, Is there any side effects of tune. What tuner is best to get with stock motor and are they expandable if I decide to do mods? I did mods over winter, I did bleed and burp cooling system. I also installed underdrive pulley jts shifter and caltracks.

50/50 is the correct ratio. good to -34 F.

70/30 is more Artic.

too much anti-freeze & ya can ran hotter & silic drop out is way more likely

50/50 is the correct ratio. good to -34 F.

70/30 is more Artic.

too much anti-freeze & ya can ran hotter & silic drop out is way more likely

I run 70/30 more for the 10deg rise in boiling point. If Pa. Ever sees -56(est) we will end up like dinosaurs. Yes you do need to add water. 70% coolant is the highest Concentration you can run. I always mix it in a 5gal bucket to be sure the ratio is correct. Or just buy the pre mixed 50/50 stuff

Where is best place to get tune? Is it something I can do myself or do I have to be very computer literate, Is there any side effects of tune. What tuner is best to get with stock motor and are they expandable if I decide to do mods? I did mods over winter, I did bleed and burp cooling system. I also installed underdrive pulley jts shifter and caltracks.

You need a SCT box to download a different tune or ship the ECM to someone that can reflash (tune) it.
The side effects can be a damaged engine! I just had a fix a melted piston shortly after installing a new SCT box! Hindsight being 2020 this is what I would do in the future. Immediately after installing a different tune the truck should be run on the Dyno to verify the results. SCT box will allow you to re tune if you do future mods. But this means another trip to the Dyno.

torrie at unleashed can email you a very safe tune and you "install" it with the sct tuner.
he answers his emails promptly and can sell you the sct tuner also.

You need a SCT box to download a different tune or ship the ECM to someone that can reflash (tune) it.
The side effects can be a damaged engine! I just had a fix a melted piston shortly after installing a new SCT box! Hindsight being 2020 this is what I would do in the future. Immediately after installing a different tune the truck should be run on the Dyno to verify the results. SCT box will allow you to re tune if you do future mods. But this means another trip to the Dyno.

Wouldn't the data logging feature on the new x3 be a substitute for a trip to the dyno? Ive never tried to log with mine so i really dont know what parameters your able to log, but it may be good option for someone with no local dyno shop.

Wouldn't the data logging feature on the new x3 be a substitute for a trip to the dyno? Ive never tried to log with mine so i really dont know what parameters your able to log, but it may be good option for someone with no local dyno shop.

Pretty sure you'll need a wideband to log AFRs.

Never had any experience with the X3 but it sounds like an auto tune module for a Power commander5(motorcycle tuner) from DynoJet. They give you wide band O2 sensors (type in A/F gauge or dynos) to replace the stock narrow band type. A starting tune or map is installed and then the box adjusts while you drive. We use them on trikes (3 wheelers) all the time. Seeing most motorcycle dinos only have one roller or drum.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back