Weight reduction questiion (bumpers)

KyleB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some good solid info, pics, and how much weight they lost in the bumper area? I have read tons of old threads but no for sure answer.
I saw where JMB had a bumper cover support? Are these still available?
Also, the tow support bar in the rear, anyone know what this weights?
Basically I plan on dropping a little weight but not effecting the truck in any way, driving or creature comforts.

Current plan of attack:

Spare 81 pounds
Spare Carrier 4 pounds
Jack 9 pounds
Battery tray 3 pounds
tow support bar ?

Possibly:
Removing bumpers and brackets, etc
Plastic tray behind seats and under sub (10 pounds)
Front sway bar (26 pounds) - I will be removing it, but I do a lot of high speed driving, so if I don't like how it feels, it will go right back on.

Future:
Fidanza aluminum flywheel (lighter and faster revving)

Any other ideas are welcome.

Last edited:
I have a CF hood :)

and the fiberglass fenders I have seen fit like crap!

Last edited:
I have a CF hood :)

and the fiberglass fenders I have seen fit like crap!

a good body man can fix that in a hurry and can save some great weight

a good body man can fix that in a hurry and can save some great weight

14 pounds to be exact for both fenders

Not worth the money or hassle in my opinion. I was looking at just removing stuff I didn't need.

Weight reduction is one thing, weight percentage (back to front) is another.

Basically the higher the Point is where you reduce weight, the better the truck handles. Means a CF Hood, Fenders even under the Hood parts that can be mounted at a lower Point in the truck helps to optimize the handling by lowering the Center of gravity.

If you remove parts from your truck it Overall looses Pounds which is good, but if you remove a lot from the back, it will just increase the tire Spinning.

So removing the battery from front to back helps. removing the spare tire and tow bar might help reduce Overall weight, but might also loosen up the rear end....

Our trucks will never drive like a sports car but it can be improved........

My truck actually hooks pretty darn well

V1R long bars, and some 31x12.50 Hoosiers on the back do the job. Also have a set of M&H 31X12 slicks if needed.

I feel this is so far the most comprehensive weight reduction thread on the forum, not because it's mine, because I spent the time to actually weigh all of the parts and updated with actual 1/4 mile times after the weight reduction. Speaking of that, I should get back to shedding some more weight.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/vprpwrds-weight-reduction-thread-54504/

Although my thread doesn't answer your bumper question since I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

I know this isn't exactly what you're talking about (removing parts) but a great way to loose about 20lbs out of the nose of the truck is to get rid of the regular battery and use a Braille light weight battery. 20lbs out of the nose is HUGE!

I know this isn't exactly what you're talking about (removing parts) but a great way to loose about 20lbs out of the nose of the truck is to get rid of the regular battery and use a Braille light weight battery. 20lbs out of the nose is HUGE!

I really should have kept that thing. Good to see you here Jeremy, I hope all is well. :D

You can totally do away with the rear bumper, just use a few pieces of aluminum angle in a couple spots to hold the plastico on. I bent up an aluminum support for the front but it eventually started to warp the bumper, you can cut the factory front support A LOT. Just make sure the cover is supported all the way across the top and secure the ends by the fenders.

Would the Fidanza aluminum flywheel be an improvement? I know it saves weight but if you are drag racing don't you want the extra reciprocating weight on a heavy truck to help with the launch. A heavier flywheel will also lower your RPMs between shifts in the event that you are a shitty slow shifter like I am.

I feel this is so far the most comprehensive weight reduction thread on the forum, not because it's mine, because I spent the time to actually weigh all of the parts and updated with actual 1/4 mile times after the weight reduction. Speaking of that, I should get back to shedding some more weight.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/vprpwrds-weight-reduction-thread-54504/

Trust me, I have read your post and like every other one several times. Tons of good info in there!

I have considered it, I was actually going to hit up vprpwrd because I saw he had one for sale last year and never posted that it sold, but from the looks of this thread, it's gone :(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back