Well potentionally a new member...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordh8tr

Reaction score
I will be in the market for a new ride in a couple weeks, and I did find an 05' SRT-10 regular cab at a nearby dodge dealer. The starting price seems good, $26,000 with 20,xxx miles on it. I know that this forum would be a little partial to the SRT-10, but i was also looking at an 06' Trailblazer SS. As far as the SRT goes, how does it handle being a daily ride? I know the gas milage isn;t that great, but it's not too far off from what any other fullsize V8 truck gets. But what are, if any, some of the problems with them? I have read that the clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder isn't the greatest and the shifter takes some time to get used to, but overall, would woudl this truck be as a daily ride. Also, what is the warranty like? Isn't the factory warrany 3 year 36,000 mile? On this truck i would think that it would have the balance of 1 year and about 12,000 miles of a warranty left on it. Thanks

Welcome Bud!

You're right - NOT the ideal daily driver, but if you already drive a full-size pick up, then you should have no problem with this either.

Gas mileage kinda sucks, but that's to be expected. I can't see it being much worse than the TB SS.

Probably not the vehicle for snow/ice either. In fact, you need to be careful in the rain! Plenty of Torque to get you sideways if you're not careful (Or if you just want to go sidewayz!:D ).

Factory Warranty is 3/36 from the In-Service Date, so the 3 year part could be very close already if this was an early '05. Better check on that. Better yet, purchase an extended warranty.

I owned mine for almost 3 years/8,000 miles and never had any real problems. I did smoke the clutch twice in that time, but nowhere near enough to destroy it. Once it cooled back down it worked fine. Shifting can be tough, especially the 2-3, but with the Viper Master cyl/slave upgrade, that can be cured as well. Or you can just deal with it like I did. Very tough to powershift 3rd, but you can lift off the go pedal and shift to 3rd very quick instead. Obviously that would be your decision.

IMO, the TB SS can be a cool ride as well - especially the AWD version!. Definitely fun when modded.

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
Depends on whether you want an SUV or a truck.....not apples to apples here.........if you want an SUV you need to drive a Jeep Cherokee SRT8 before buying the SS...If you drive one you will never look back at the SS............Now if you want a truck..and not just any truck but a fast truck...go with the SRT10..Like Hamrhead said the gas mileage is close but the SRT10 will leave a SS in its smoke...and almost anything else that challenges it..;)

WELCOME! to the sight....yes there is a 3 year-36,000mi.factory warranty on the trucks. i have an 04' and i drive a "work vehicle" (8,400mi. on the srt)lots of folks on here use it as a daily driver though.i have had only one problem requiring the dealer and that was a throttle position sensor (easy fix). this is by far the best vehicle i have owned. the truck is well put together and is a blast to drive.:elefant: IMO a trailblazer SS is just "another" SUV:( have the dealer check the lower pulley bolt (crankshaft) for proper torque. torn door seals was a problem for some.(warranty fix). others will chime in on items i have missed:dontknow: :rock: there is a lot of info here on the site,the search feature works great! just remembered one other item,make sure your hydraulic lines (clutch) are moved away from heat sources.(don't know if they re-routed them on the 05s')

Last edited:
I bought my Srt10 new as a daily driver work truck. I have put on over 41xxx hard miles on it. As a daily driver I would say it's the best truck I've owned in many aspects. The gas mileage sucks but the truck has way too many positives compared to negatives. If you get the truck you'll be happy you did. If you get the SS you just have a truck.

Fordh8tr said:
I will be in the market for a new ride in a couple weeks, and I did find an 05' SRT-10 regular cab at a nearby dodge dealer. The starting price seems good, $26,000 with 20,xxx miles on it. I know that this forum would be a little partial to the SRT-10, but i was also looking at an 06' Trailblazer SS. As far as the SRT goes, how does it handle being a daily ride? I know the gas milage isn;t that great, but it's not too far off from what any other fullsize V8 truck gets. But what are, if any, some of the problems with them? I have read that the clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder isn't the greatest and the shifter takes some time to get used to, but overall, would woudl this truck be as a daily ride. Also, what is the warranty like? Isn't the factory warrany 3 year 36,000 mile? On this truck i would think that it would have the balance of 1 year and about 12,000 miles of a warranty left on it. Thanks

Well,my QC is a Daily driver,coming up on 57K mi too !!! No problems at all,except not as much HP as the RC !!!But then again there are not that many out there withmy kind of mileage either !!! GO FOR IT,YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE !!!!

If you want a sports car but need a truck, the RC is a great option. Maybe I'm an old fart, but as a daily driver i get tired of the harsh ride of my truck. But then I floor it and all else is meaningless. As for the TB SS, it isn't very fast stock and GM vehicles do not hold up well IMO. Dodge knows how to make an interior that looks new for years. My interior still seems brand new. The SS won't hold up so well. One last thing...the SS is sure to lose value pretty quickly where the SRT is already low and can only get better. All my humble opinions of course.

If you want an SUV that's fast, the GC SRT8 is unbelievable. I know it is at least $10,000 more but it is well worth it if you can afford it. Maybe check out a lease on one for the lower payment. Wish I had bought one instead of my SRT10. The GC SRT8 is the fastest SRT in the line with a 0-60 of 4.6 seconds, AWD, and it's rare. Good luck. You have a bunch of cool options. Buying a new vehicle is a tough decision.

Get on the trailblazer SS forum and read about all the trouble they are having.
Transmissions are going out right and left. If you want to mod you can do the trailblazer a lot cheaper but you can not come up with nearly as much power as the SRT but the SRT cost serious cash to mod compared to the SS.
Also as a daily driver the SS will get around 50% better mileage in combined driving but as TN Viper says these are not the same vehicles. If you want to haul anything except groceries you need to find a trailer and hitch for the SS.
You will need to pull the spoiler on the SRT also and if you install a hitch it can void the powertrain warranty. And you can not buy the SRT without a warranty as the power train can cost 20,000 dollars if you grenade the engine and trans.
Both vehicles have their limitations.
The SRT is a serious gas hog at about 10mpg average much less if you play with it and if you run the freeway and don't pass any cars about 15 mpg.
It is a lot less than most trucks get when you are daily driving.Maybe cause the engine is about 3 liters larger than most other trucks
30% to 75% less mileage depending on driving style.Yeah I know you will drive it like an old man and get more than 10mpg just like the guys on this forum.Some of them get 7 and 8.
Heck some of them have got 20mpg looking at the meter rolling down a long hill and posted it as if it were correct. So don't be looking for unbiased opinions here.
The SS transmission will break but it is not that expensive to fix.
Neither of these is a daily driver as the SS is flawed and an old looking design.
The SRT can make stupid power if modded (10k for a blower installed) but cost 30 cents per mile just for gas or more without the blower so not really a daily driver unless you have a huge ego to feed and a good paycheck .
Why do you think most of the 04's have less than 20k miles on them?
They are driveway queens. You make payments on them and drive something
you can afford to put gas in and tell yourself you are saving the truck.
A few people really are doing that so don't be offended please.

Last edited:
Why do you think most of the 04's have less than 20k miles on them?
They are driveway queens. You make payments on them and drive something
you can afford to put gas in and tell yourself you are saving the truck
some of us work offshore 8 months out of the year;)

Mine is a garage queen :D Welcome to the forum and I think you should get the 10 :rock:

I drive my truck daily in all weather conditions. Have owned about a year and a half and just passed 36000 mile mark. The truck WILL get an honest 18 mpg on the interstate at 70 mph with the A/C on. It will get about 11mpg around town driving carefully. I loce the bitch!!!

Mine is a 2005 R/C, light mods.

Get them BOTH!:dontknow: The SRT10 will run you about the same amount as buying them both once you begin the mods... It's an addiction!:rock: :rock: :rock:

I was choosing between the 2 myself at one point.
I bought a Quad Cab SRT10. I didn't like the interior of the SS (they didn't have leather here) and the exterior seemed a bit blahhh...The SS seemed cramped to me too.
The SRT10 has much more presence (WOW factor) on the outside and I love the interior. It feels much roomier. Just my opinon... Good luck! :D
SUC50188.JPGSUC50185.JPG

just buy the damn truck...there awesome

My QC is alot of fun in the rain...donuts with out having to lose alot of tires...priceless

Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back