Went to get my 4.56 installed and then.....

JGUZMAN

Reaction score
Went to my mechanic... Dropped off the 4.56 ring and pinion along with the install kit. He said he'd have it ready in no time. I had to leave town for work for the week and I get a phone call. He had taken the diff cover off, and noticed that the spider gears were in his own words "broken". :(

I asked what he thought. Was it due to harsh use? Normal wear? What was it.... He told me that by the looks of it, and the condition that it is in, he strongly believes is a manufacturing defect. I assume they are only cracked? Or else I couldn't drive the truck? :dontknow: Idk, got a set of new ones, he will install them now that the whole thing is appart for the 4.56 gears. Also, looks like I may need a new clutch soon. Im thinking centerforce cluth with the hydraulic upgrade kit? What do you guys think? :confused:

Spider gears are a pretty common part to break in our rear ends, normally caused by wheel hop. And drag racing. Centerforce is a decent clutch, the viper hydraulics will make the clutch pedal as soft as a Honda accord.

Spider gears are a pretty common part to break in our rear ends, normally caused by wheel hop. And drag racing. Centerforce is a decent clutch, the viper hydraulics will make the clutch pedal as soft as a Honda accord.

Oh is that why? Wow, any effective way to get rid of the wheel hop? I have never drag raced is, I just got it about a month ago, but I would like to take it to the track ocassionaly just for fun. Also, what are these track lok clutches you wrote about? Where do I get them?

Thanks!

Oh is that why? Wow, any effective way to get rid of the wheel hop? I have never drag raced is, I just got it about a month ago, but I would like to take it to the track ocassionaly just for fun. Also, what are these track lok clutches you wrote about? Where do I get them?

Thanks!

He's taking about your limited slip clutches bud in your rear end while they're in There. Wheel hop is prevented by positively locating rear end lengthwise as well as preventing the springs from wrapping and unloading continuously. We developed a traction system to not only do this but provide weight transfer as well ;)

Thanks!

For just ocanssional trips to the track with street tires then something like JMB performance stage 1 kit would probably work ok. If you want to add sticky tires and and get a little more serious about it then something like the V1R traction bars.

Get your new spider gears nitrated .Along with any type of tractions bars will help big time .
If last owner did a lot of street show-off burn outs would do it also .

Nope, someone else will chime in with the difference but I'm driving so I can't right now

Long bars are longer as in name and work well if you do a lot of drag racing IMHO .
Caltraxs are shorter been around a long time .Good for street and dragging racing .But I would say for a truck its more like occasionally drag racing .
I want a 4-link setup but don't drive mine as much to warrant it .YET

I have 4:56,s and thinking of going to 4:10 's

Last edited:
Long bars are longer as in name and work well if you do a lot of drag racing IMHO .
Caltraxs are shorter been around a long time .Good for street and dragging racing .But I would say for a truck its more like occasionally drag racing .
I want a 4-link setup but don't drive mine as much to warrant it .YET

I have 4:56,s and thinking of going to 4:10 's

what's the average cost of a 4 link set up.

what's the average cost of a 4 link set up.
Depends if you can do the fabricating on it .Did an old dodge demon once it was about 2000 give or take it was a down and dirty backyard setup but worked well .Depends on what one wants out of it and how fancy you want your parts :dontknow:
seethrough is doing one, he has posted a lot of pics of it too

If I didn't already have the caltracs, I would go with the V1R Long Bars. They not only do the job, but they also look cool.

Oh and you might as well put new clutches in the track lok too

So I guess when my mechanic went to order the spider gears, he ordered the whole kit (clutches, gears, all that junk).... Score 1 for me! :D HAHA :rock: I just can't wait to get it back (hopefully tomorrow) because I have a set of Belanger long tubes, catless mids, and MF catback waiting to go in! :burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back