WET SANDING

Yellow venom

Boosted Venom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple questions on Wet Sanding. I just got my taillights and 3rd brake light done,and I was woundering on proper procedure on wet sanding?,I have the wet paper to do it,just want to double check on exactly on how to do it,I don't want to ruin the work I have done,Do you just wet them down and sand them lightly then your done? Or do you have to polished them with plastic polish after sanding?

Iam not a professional by any means, but this is my process I use.

I start with 600 grit, dip in water, slowly take down all the rough areas, or high spots,

then move to 800 grit doing the same

ending with 1000 or 1200, but on this grit its hard to tell if you are actually done, so I usually dry it good, hold it up in flourescent light looking for spots, then resand. this stage usually took me the longest,

but afterwards other than prep paint, thats where I stopped:D

My dad, (Who was one of the best body shop guys I have ever seen) would actually use slowly running water in the last two sandings with 1000 grit or better.
Using running water helps take the sanded material away from the job, preventing it from becoming part of the sand paper.

And that's my $.02 worth!

Good luck, be sure to take before and after pics!!!

So after clear coat has dried,it says on the can you wet sand after 48 hrs,so then I wet sand and thats it? or do I have to polish them after wet sanding?

Yellow venom said:
So after clear coat has dried,it says on the can you wet sand after 48 hrs,so then I wet sand and thats it? or do I have to polish them after wet sanding?

Yes, you have to polish them after wet sanding. The surface will still be hazy looking after you sand it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back