What´s this? 3 screws in the trans..

_Malm

Reaction score
Hi. About three weeks ago, I found a leak on the oil-seal to the outgoing drive-shaft in the transmission (manual T56 trans, see pic).
I ordered a original Mopar-seal that comes from Tremec and was going to change it when I saw that there was 3 screws around the trans-house that was screwed right in to the seal. And I could pull the old seal out with my fingers when i loosened the screws. And you could clearly see that there was 3 marks from the screws in the seal (the screws are edged). I took the new seal and that was the same, I could push it in with my fingers. That isn´t correct?!
So I ordered a new seal from a friend of me that was 0,2 mm larger on the outside of the gasket and that fitted perfectly!
I took the screws, put Loctite on and tightened just a little bit so they wouldn´t push on the seal.

Now for my question; What´s the meaning of putting those screws there??? It can´t be correctly :dontknow: :dontknow:

528749_dialax.jpg

Top of the transmission-house
528750_n2swzr.jpg

Here you can see the edged-screw..
528751_fe1fy6.jpg

Thats just a feature from Tremec, considered "Heavy Duty" Mine also has a big ass balancer on the driveshaft yoke (removable)

I didn't want to ask cause I wasn't trying to... AWE what the heck? Was the seal screwed up?

the clamps are usually there to balance them. someone may have had a complaint on that truck on vibration and thats a way some places remedy it. i've seen it before and my truck does not have them either.

something to check out next time under neath.

no clamps on mine. does have the damper thingie.

is it an '04 set up maybe??? mine is an early '05 (oct. 04) RC

Last edited:
black pearl said:
The set screws have a cone shape to slightly dimple the outer seal which will keep the seal in place.

Yes, that´s what they doing, but if you must have 3 screws to hold a seal, it can´t be correct size of the seal!
I ordered the original seal and that one you could just push right in with your fingers, and that´s not the way it should be...

Anybody knows if there´s someone else that have had this problem?? :confused:

is your truck an '04 or '05, Andre?????

My '04 didn't have the clamps, or the balancer, or the set screws...

man, he's in dallas:rock:

Just got out from under my truck. The "damper", (bearing is locating inside this part) on my '05 RC looks like it is bolted directly to the transmission housing with three bolts. It has no clamps. Housing looks different than your pics.:dontknow:

_Malm said:
Hi. About three weeks ago, I found a leak on the oil-seal to the outgoing drive-shaft in the transmission (manual T56 trans, see pic).
I ordered a original Mopar-seal that comes from Tremec and was going to change it when I saw that there was 3 screws around the trans-house that was screwed right in to the seal. And I could pull the old seal out with my fingers when i loosened the screws. And you could clearly see that there was 3 marks from the screws in the seal (the screws are edged). I took the new seal and that was the same, I could push it in with my fingers. That isn´t correct?!
So I ordered a new seal from a friend of me that was 0,2 mm larger on the outside of the gasket and that fitted perfectly!
I took the screws, put Loctite on and tightened just a little bit so they wouldn´t push on the seal.

Now for my question; What´s the meaning of putting those screws there??? It can´t be correctly :dontknow: :dontknow:

528749_dialax.jpg

Top of the transmission-house
528750_n2swzr.jpg

Here you can see the edged-screw..
528751_fe1fy6.jpg
How many miles on tranny seal?

andrew heywood said:
How many miles on tranny seal?

I only got 5500 miles on the truck! And the seal was already broken :mad:

joemags54 said:
Just got out from under my truck. The "damper", (bearing is locating inside this part) on my '05 RC looks like it is bolted directly to the transmission housing with three bolts. It has no clamps. Housing looks different than your pics.:dontknow:

Could you please take a picture on your trans-housing? What you mean is that you haven´t got the three screws that holds the seal?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back