What a 48RE auto transmission looks like taken apart...my truck in the shop...

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a week of my truck in the tranny shop because the warranty d*ckin around:mad: :mad: Here it is at a awesome trans shop here in south fla...ATF...Oh and also in the pics there is a Yellow Viper on the rims getting a tranny overhaul..and a red RC srt 10 (i don't know who it is????? Maybe a member here) It has work done to it supposedly. I was wondering what that box by the spare tire is:dontknow: :dontknow:
photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

download21.jpg

download.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

download321.jpg

kickinassrt-10 said:
After a week of my truck in the tranny shop because the warranty d*ckin around:mad: :mad: Here it is at a awesome trans shop here in south fla...ATF...Oh and also in the pics there is a Yellow Viper on the rims getting a tranny overhaul..and a red RC srt 10 (i don't know who it is????? Maybe a member here) It has work done to it supposedly. I was wondering what that box by the spare tire is:dontknow: :dontknow:
photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

download21.jpg

download.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

download321.jpg

I suggest getting your flywheel inspected while you have the tranny out. There are somewhat routine failures at the web from cyclic fatigue.

oldguy

I was going to until i realized this transmission shop also obviously knows of these problems too and was going to install the necessary parts under warranty coverage...No doubt that Dusty knows his transmissions though.

Here some pics of mine.
The tranny is fixed yesterday and put now under the truck.
Put a bigger oilpan for more ATF.
Fixed the cooling problem in P.

48RE05006.jpg

48RE05002.jpg

48RE05011.jpg

Here the old parts

DodgeS10015.jpg

DodgeS10006.jpg

DodgeS10020-1.jpg

DodgeS10011.jpg

DodgeS10022.jpg

DodgeS10016.jpg

DodgeS10023.jpg

DodgeS10008.jpg

DodgeS10013.jpg

DodgeS10002.jpg

Alex

Mine looks the same way with worn out plates and band...what did they overhaul on yours and was it under warranty? my shop is going to the 5.0 lever by the way, new springs, new plates, band, selenoid and a few other goodies...

I think that 5.0 lever has is pluses and minuses. In a towing or diesel app it holds that band tight. In our application, it is too slow and holds the band too long.

kickinassrt-10 said:
Mine looks the same way with worn out plates and band...what did they overhaul on yours and was it under warranty? my shop is going to the 5.0 lever by the way, new springs, new plates, band, selenoid and a few other goodies...

From my understanading the 5.0 lever is whats in there stock,you need to change out the valve body to increase line pressure,these trannies stock do not put out enough line pressure to hold the bands tight enough and they slip then fail,there's more too it but thats a quick version of it,I'm doing the valve body,bands,clutches,actuator, solinoids,springs, HD strut and a 4-2 lever,might be a couple more things,whatever Dusty recommends I'm changing.:rock: He told me $614 for the parts:rock:

Yellow venom said:
From my understanading the 5.0 lever is whats in there stock,you need to change out the valve body to increase line pressure,these trannies stock do not put out enough line pressure to hold the bands tight enough and they slip then fail,there's more too it but thats a quick version of it,I'm doing the valve body,bands,clutches,actuator, solinoids,springs, HD strut and a 4-2 lever,might be a couple more things,whatever Dusty recommends I'm changing.:rock: He told me $614 for the parts:rock:
That's different from what I was told...the 4.2 comes in from factory...the 5.0 which should have been in there factory wasn't because of disagreements and legal between 2 companies and the 5.0 design...supposedly the 5.0 is what you want to support the torque:dontknow: go figure money was involved so affect's the end result..look at Ford and International law suit and how they produced 6.4L which is one of the worst engines they made when it comes to problems

kickinassrt-10 said:
That's different from what I was told...the 4.2 comes in from factory...the 5.0 which should have been in there factory wasn't because of disagreements and legal between 2 companies and the 5.0 design...supposedly the 5.0 is what you want to support the torque:dontknow: go figure money was involved so affect's the end result..look at Ford and International law suit and how they produced 6.4L which is one of the worst engines they made when it comes to problems

I think you have it backwards. According to Dusty the 4.2 lever was a previous setup that worked. Chrysler sold of the patents and had to re-invent the wheel so to speak and came up with the 5.0 lever. Dusty gives you a worked valve body, 4.2 lever, HD Band and strut, springs, billet accumulator, and now the bottom spring that goes under the accumulator. It is not installed in the 10's. Makes the shifts firmer. Might want to give Dusty a call to confirm if your truck is still apart. You might want to get some parts to have them put in for you.

SlvrSnake said:
I think you have it backwards. According to Dusty the 4.2 lever was a previous setup that worked. Chrysler sold of the patents and had to re-invent the wheel so to speak and came up with the 5.0 lever. Dusty gives you a worked valve body, 4.2 lever, HD Band and strut, springs, billet accumulator, and now the bottom spring that goes under the accumulator. It is not installed in the 10's. Makes the shifts firmer. Might want to give Dusty a call to confirm if your truck is still apart. You might want to get some parts to have them put in for you.
I spoke to Dusty originally, but the shop here is getting it done under warranty work. I have a tranny shop here locally I have great faith in...they have built several of these tranny's and have one in a dodge diesel running high 10's and they have 2 other srt's in their shop...I'll keep you posted on how it turns out I hopefully will get it back today...I'm expecting great results:rock:

kickinassrt-10 said:
I spoke to Dusty originally, but the shop here is getting it done under warranty work. I have a tranny shop here locally I have great faith in...they have built several of these tranny's and have one in a dodge diesel running high 10's and they have 2 other srt's in their shop...I'll keep you posted on how it turns out I hopefully will get it back today...I'm expecting great results:rock:

I am sure it is going to be a new driving experience for you once you get it back. Looks like they are rebuilding the whole thing. Definitely a good thing.

Yeah the 5.0 lever is what we have stock. it puts more pressure on the band. more holding force. You put 1 ftlb in and get 5 out. Something to that effect. Now on diesels this works, that why patc uses them. Dusty found that the 4.2 works better for what ever reason. And while most shops us the 5.0 as an upgrade he only uses the 4.2 that I can see. And there isn't one bad thing you can find about him on the net. Not one.

All that aside your tranny will be great. Have fun!

bigike said:
Yeah the 5.0 lever is what we have stock. it puts more pressure on the band. more holding force. You put 1 ftlb in and get 5 out. Something to that effect. Now on diesels this works, that why patc uses them. Dusty found that the 4.2 works better for what ever reason. And while most shops us the 5.0 as an upgrade he only uses the 4.2 that I can see. And there isn't one bad thing you can find about him on the net. Not one.

All that aside your tranny will be great. Have fun!
Yea no doubt that Dusty knows his tranny...if it wasn't covered under warranty I would have turned his direction or if I had the money to buy his tranny outright...but I'm sure I'll be more than happy with my newly built tranny....I get it on Monday so I'll let you know the outcome!!

Just a question but what were the miles on these trannys?

and were the motors stock?

thewelshm

THEWELSHM said:
Just a question but what were the miles on these trannys?

and were the motors stock?

thewelshm
mine just hit 41,500 and I bought it a month ago at carmax.......all stock except 2 rear cat delete..and kn added about 2 weeks ago..basically stock, the transmission is just straight up doo doo

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back