what can you tell me about the Syclone

chad434sc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked it up and it doesn't seem to special to me. I know the SRT has many more years of technology behind it but the Syclone just seems so plain. The reason I brought it up is on a local forum I am on which has a bit of everything on it and everyone knows everyone outside the forum there are some guys going kind of crazy over this truck and I'm like...really? I don't get it. I thought maybe you guys could shed some light on this "awesome" truck for me. Whats in it...how durable was it...and how fast was it? I don't want one...no truck could replace my SRT-10 I am just curious.

The Syclone was the coolest thing back when I was in High School... Like 12-15 years ago. For the early 90's,,, that thing was "fast"... I saw one about a year ago in person and it looked SO dated it wasn't even funny.

Turbo, AWD, it was way cool in its day. I'd like to have one as well as its brother the Typhoon!

Those trucks where the sheet in its day:rock: I would own one if I had the money. At that time a Car and Driver (I think) put it against a Ferrari Testorossa in the quarter mile and beat it. As far as reliability goes I have heard the tuning can be tricky on them.

A stock syclone will take any of our stock trucks 0-80 or so. After that we over take them. Top end on these trucks were only around 120. I got to drive one when I was young, uncles truck. Jumped on it and it just flat out went. No fun factory though. Auto tranny, no tire spin. Minimal cabin space, tall people were cramped, after all it was a S10 standard cab.

Syclones and Typhoons share alot of technology with Grand Nationals and other Turbo Buicks. They have different engines (4.3 vs 3.8 V-6), but I think they share turbo and computer stuff. Generally what works on a SyTy works on a GN. The motors are stout and simple upgrades reap huge power gains. Both engines are torque monsters-my 4.1 GN based motor makes around 700 ft/lbs on pump gas and meth injection depending on where I set the boost. A GM 4.3 V-6 is basically a 350 less 2 cylinders. I have lots of respect for these cars and trucks.

Originally the 4.3 turbo'd was tried as a prototype engine for the corvette to have power and fuel mileage. Was too powerful (torque) and made the corvette too tail happy. They found once it started to spin out, most people didnt have the reflexes to bring it back and keep from wrecking it. I used to beat Corvettes with my 3.8 (bore/stroke to 8 cyl 305 spec) Regal T-type up to about 80-90. The rear weight in the regal body made it hook up alot better than the vette. Then they put it into the Comm Indy 89 T/A, and then bumped stroke and bore (to 8 cyl 350 spec) to make a 4.3 and into the AWD 91 Sy and 92-93 Ty. I never rode in one but would love to own one day.

Dated YES fast? YOU BET!

I have had several GNs over the years (two currently) and know guys with these trucks, believe me when i tell you if you are stock DO NOT MESS with them! Most of the guys running these trucks have modded them. The tune is TRICKY but it does not take much to get TONS of power out of them. The AWD makes them wicked quick out of the hole. The whole V6 turbo line from GM in the late 80s was ahead of its time and LOTS of these cars/trucks met a sad fate when unknowing inexperienced drivers discovered BOOST!::burnout:

just wicked??? not evil wicked mean & nasty????

l8rg8rz said:
Originally the 4.3 turbo'd was tried as a prototype engine for the corvette to have power and fuel mileage. Was too powerful (torque) and made the corvette too tail happy. They found once it started to spin out, most people didnt have the reflexes to bring it back and keep from wrecking it.

The V-6 corvette idea died because the corvette world was not receptive to a non v-8 corvette. I would find it hard top believe that the engineers couldn't have figured out a way to handle a torque problem. The corvette has traditionally had high torque motors.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back