What diesel truck is better?

ive had a poerstroke and an 07 classis duramax....which we sold because it was beat to **** the body...but it had 120k miles sold it for 5k lol

Dom, you sold an LBZ with 120k for 5G?? Christ that went quick (Not guessing, I KNOW it did) cause I've seen Totaled LBZ's go for 10G. Just for motor/tranny. Wish I knew when that went up. Don't care where you live I'd pick it up.

You have to not even consider FURD! I work with these trucks daily and Ford hasn't been a good Diesel since the 7.3 Powerstroke:dontknow:
They have been thru about 6 or more different engines since then!
Dodge really has the Diesel market sewn up for sure. :D
Now if you get an 05+ Duramax, they are Powerhouses for sure!:D

01 to 04 is no slouch. Dmitri has a 2,000+ Hp LB7 (No, I didn't Typo two thousand). 06-07 LBZ is most sought after, only real problem with 01-04 is injector issues but an aftermarket fuel filter had guys putting a few hundred thousand miles one one set without more failures.

Lurk on the Cummins forums before jumping on that motor. The newer Common rail 5.9 and the 6.7 are not very reliable at all. The older ones will go for-F*cking-ever, they just aren't overly fast. Their Autos suck, the front end sucks almost as bad.

Ford (What I've seen posted) got the trannies better. Towing they don't last still, though. A friend is a service manager at a Ford/Suby DLR. (Drives a DMax BTW
happy0007.gif
)
I may be a little bias, but I looked at all 3, and when I looked around at the good/bad, the other two were no longer considered. JMHO

The reason the trannies go in the Dodges is cause all these guys crank the HP right up in them because they can take it and they make way more HP/TQ then ford and chev so of course they are going to eat the trannies out!! LMAO!!
We can back and fourth for weeks on who has the best this and that!! ITS SIMPLE!! When you increase the power you have to beef up the DRIVE LINE!! Common sense here!! Its always going to be the weakest link to go next!!
Do you see any of these guys that race only build up an engine and run the rest stock?? or race a stock engine with a $10 000 built tranny??? LMAO!!
Buy what you like,build it for what you plan on using it for and be done with it!!
You are on a Dodge site and most guys here are going to favour the Dodge,Go on a Ford or Chev site and ask them what they think??lol

I remember seeing quite a few Diesel owners on here with every type. I'm just looking for experiences.
I'm pretty familiar with Ford's 7.3L and that engine never let us down in all 3 of our trucks and it wasn't just a drive around truck we used all of them to tow mostly 15000-30000# loads. Also the 6.0L which has great power and is quick but it's not that reliable.
I've heard mixed reviews also of the new Cummins engine how they aren't what they use to be, and I'm already quite familiar of the POS 48RE transmission.
I'm not a fan of Chevy, bc I used to have a normal GMC Sierra and that truck was always broken. Maybe I'll give them a look anyways.

Why not buy the stick cummins, they are pretty much indestructable? I love my manual 2011 cummins, havent had a single issue with 20K hard miles on it so far (turned up the entire time).
Justin

My 2011 Cummins has been the best one I've had also with the best power,the tranny is excellent,I have about 40K hard miles on it with zero issues!

My 94 dodge 12 valve is about to hit 200,000 miles. It's ugly,handles like crap but I would not sell it. The 04 automatic has a 100,000 miles with a shift kit installed at 30,000. The only problem it has had was a fuel pump and a brake caliper. My 11 3500 DRW is the best cummins truck I've own, still kind of new. If you want to really know about cummins turbo diesels PM me and i will shoot a good forum to go look at

i have a 2011 chevy dually with about 20k miles on it. really wanted a new dodge dually because they look better but i got a better deal on the chevy. fixing to go hook to a 34 foot gooseneck trailer and haul a backhoe to town. the allison is pretty much indestructable. Justin idea is a good one if you dont mind switching gears. i havent heard many things about the cummins engines lately have heard ford was having a few problems for a few years. my brother has a f250 with about 120k on the clock and he is fixing to sell it. its a harley edition truck if your interested. they are all highway miles. he does sales and used it. has a edge chip and the cats and filter taken off. gets 19mpg highway at 80mph

I would love the manual for work but I couldn't do that as a daily driver, although that's the best drivetrain option.

I really like those Harley editions from Ford. I almost bought one a few years back before I went with the king ranch. Mine with similar mods was getting about 20 on the Highway also.

had to haul some something today. my brothers is a 08 ford with 109k on the clock, hes asking 31k has a bigger fuel tank under the bed. i think it holds 60 gallons

Attachments

• 2012-04-04_14-45-49_647.jpg
    2012-04-04_14-45-49_647.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
I too have been checking out the 2012 Ram Diesels ! They are now out with a 6 speed auto,and I haven't heard anything bad about them yet !! Am looking at the 3500 so I can get a Car Hauler to Take my Wife's '68 "cuda,and my new project '69 Dart together to save putting miles on her #'s matching Formula S !!

Dodge : Ram 2500 Dodge : Ram 2500 - eBay (item 260995591425 end time Apr-09-12 15:40:23 PDT)

Love that truck. I saw it also. Problem is it's going to sell in the high $30k's. I'm looking to get something with no payments like $10-15k cash and save my money to buy a house on the water for the boat:D

had to haul some something today. my brothers is a 08 ford with 109k on the clock, hes asking 31k has a bigger fuel tank under the bed. i think it holds 60 gallons

Love the big semi wheels. I have to say that's the only way I like chevy is when they are on the semi wheels. BTW I used to tow same stuff backhoes and gooseneck trailers!

I'd say drive each, and talk to anyone you know in the service side of a dealer or large garage. At least around here, you'll get more options/newer/lower mileage for the $$ in a Ford, then Dodge, the Dmax will be the most pricey. I also flew from NY to OK and drove it home 1500 miles cause I'm kinda picky.:D (And no-one had a loaded LBZ/LLZ for sale on the east coast that didn't sell before I got there)
I also had very good experiences with GM, my last DD car I finally dumped with 330K on the clock. Not bad for a gasser and it didn't burn oil (not enough to show on the stick between changes anyways) and still ran like it did new. My Ford was the worst, 2 months driving,10 down and I didn't beat it.

Don't be stupid, buy the cummins, resale will hold value over 500k miles all day, and you can have a dependable trans built for it..with fuel prices the way they are, a 600hp cummins will still get 25mpg all day, something the ford will NEVER do...oh and the chevys are just butt ugly, i mean damn, you'll spend enough to buy 3 Dodge transmissions trying to make the chevy look half decent lol

Last edited:
Damn that's not bad at all right there. I wasn't really looking for a dually but for that price and the miles I would not even question it. Problem is I don't want to buy this truck cash and then still make payments on my truck.

I had 6.0L Ford was tuned making some serious power. Off the line it would be dead even with my buddy's 2 door SRT-10 until about 50 mph. That's the reason I sold it to get a 10.lol I was getting 31MPG on the overhead display, (didn't actually calculate by fuel tank) at 70mph across alligator alley. I have the pic somewhere I'll try to find it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back