What is a good price to swap gears?

MrBIGWORM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of 3:73 gears recently. And I am just curious... I dont want to get ripped off. What is a good price to swap gears?

If your supplying the gears I would say $700 or under as long as you dont need a new carrier. You may need a new carrier with 373's

If your supplying the gears I would say $700 or under as long as you dont need a new carrier. You may need a new carrier with 373's

I believe you are correct. As far as I know the 4:10s and 4:56s are the only gears that work with the stock carrier. At our shop we would charge $500 plus supplies (such as fluid, seals, cleaner and sealer) and tax if you supplied the gears.

I believe you are correct. As far as I know the 4:10s and 4:56s are the only gears that work with the stock carrier. At our shop we would charge $500 plus supplies (such as fluid, seals, cleaner and sealer) and tax if you supplied the gears.

4.88's don't fit?

I put 4.88's in my red truck in 07' and paid 700 and some change for EVERYTHING if that helps you any.:dontknow:;)

I rode in a truck with 88's. I didn't like them that much, I wanted to buy them till I took a drive.

Why they most certainly are!!:D Unless your truck is HIGHLY modified the 4.88's are good IMHO;) Then again I never give a F less about going to the drag strip so that's why I liked them:D

At the track or on the street either way that 4.88's are going to slow you down

Are you happy with the 4.88's?
I am. I drive mostly city streets so I can easily cruise in 5th as low as 40 mph.

I liked them because 6th gear was actually ''useable'' :)
Yep. I can go into 6th at 50 mph and actually accelorate on the highway without dropping a gear.

Yeah but 1-4 aren't....
I've got the BFG Kdw's, first gear I have to feather, 2nd I go WOT and compensate just slightly due to IMO very well adjusted cal tracs(good job me!), 3rd and 4th are hooked and gone!

Why they most certainly are!!:D Unless your truck is HIGHLY modified the 4.88's are good IMHO;) Then again I never give a F less about going to the drag strip so that's why I liked them:D
With my engine built, I got Torrie to bump my rev limiter to 6300. So when I eventually go back to the track I will be able to stay in 4th.

Also for my gear swap, I paid 650 for labor and new fluids. I provided the new cryo'd spider gears, clutch packs, ring/pinion and carrier.

Last edited:
Well Thanx for the input guys! At least I have an idea now what to expect...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back