What is the secret air filter install trick???

GRB

Reaction score
I've beat, hacked, smacked, whacked, hammered, elbowed and done everything short of actually getting the top to reseal and latch down properly so I figure this must be one of those little booby trap, just to drive us nuts things, that mfgs. do. Oh, it all goes back together just fine UNTIL YOU PUT THE FN NEW FILTER IN THE BOX!!! Sorry, I lost it there for a minute. Any input will be appreciated.:dontknow: :mad:

Are you trying to put a K&N filter in stock air box?
It was really tight. The rubber seal on the K&N is thicker and I had to take off the air intake tube from the lid. Put in K&N and then Lid and last the tube.

Last edited:
GRB said:
I've beat, hacked, smacked, whacked, hammered, elbowed and done everything short of actually getting the top to reseal and latch down properly so I figure this must be one of those little booby trap, just to drive us nuts things, that mfgs. do. Oh, it all goes back together just fine UNTIL YOU PUT THE FN NEW FILTER IN THE BOX!!! Sorry, I lost it there for a minute. Any input will be appreciated.:dontknow: :mad:

Drink a few (several) beers and try it again...that always works for me...does something to increase your determination, or is it that it lowers your give a shit factor? Dunno, but it seems to work when nothing else will.

Of course then there's the KY Jelly approach, I use that alot when I have something that won't fit...

Apply BFH :dontknow: :D

As mentioned, remove air intake tube, takes a couple of minutes....

Razor knife here I come. Might not be much left of the filter but it will go in.

Job done. All the filter needed was a little attitude adjustment. Two or three minutes with a good sharp blade will do wonders in that regard.

She may get a K&N or whatever pretty soon, but right TFNM she's getting a cheap ass O'Reilly filter!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back