What is this crap in my Clutch reservoir?

05srt6spd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck has 43k.. had it for about 3 months.

Clutch pedal always felt soft and sometimes almost impossible to get into reverse/first.

Checked the clutch fluid reservoir and this is what it looks like:
clutchfluid_zpsnzuv5oj4.jpg

Hopefully the slave is alright, I just purchased a MityVac. Best way to flush out all the fluid?

Suck the rest of that crap fluid out. Add new DOT4 then start sucking from the bleeder fitting that sticks out the left side of the bell houseing. Just don't let it run dry. When you have new fluid out the bottom top the master off and your done

Yeah that looks pretty nasty. Bleed and refill. If whatever that junk is clogs the lines and you can't clear them out, you may need to replace it.

Just an update for anyone having trouble getting into gear and a soft clutch pedal. After bleeding all the fluid, night and day difference.

I had issues with the MityVac so I open the bleeder and let it drain while keeping the reservoir full. Then it took about 8 times pushing the clutch pedal to the floor, holding it in place with a car jack (something heavy to keep the pedal to the floor) then opening the bleeder. After about the 6th time I got pressure back in the pedal and was solid after the 8th time.

Just an update for anyone having trouble getting into gear and a soft clutch pedal. After bleeding all the fluid, night and day difference.

I had issues with the MityVac so I open the bleeder and let it drain while keeping the reservoir full. Then it took about 8 times pushing the clutch pedal to the floor, holding it in place with a car jack (something heavy to keep the pedal to the floor) then opening the bleeder. After about the 6th time I got pressure back in the pedal and was solid after the 8th time.

You're supposed to have somebody help by pushing the clutch pedal. It's another good use for a good woman

well you know how the story goes. I wanted to take her for a ride but the girlfriend was not home. So I did what any man would do and used my own two hands to get the job done.

well you know how the story goes. I wanted to take her for a ride but the girlfriend was not home. So I did what any man would do and used my own two hands to get the job done.

Lol. That must be one hell of a meat stick if you have to use 2 hands. Either that or you got some sort of three-way going. Lol

I had the same problem as you, sucked out a bunch of crud and Teflon, had to have the kid pump the pedal because I got air in the system, pedal still wasn't perfect but not bad, now after 300 miles the master is leaking very slightly on the interior side and makes a pop noise. My truck has 23k. I'm changing out all the hydraulics because I don't trust it.

So why do the slave/master suck so bad on these trucks? Isn't it basically the same as an LS1 setup? Sorry.. only can reference Pontiac or Chevy in this case, it's all I've dealt with with a T56. I know the T56 had upgraded internals, but the slave has to be about the same.

So why do the slave/master suck so bad on these trucks? Isn't it basically the same as an LS1 setup? Sorry.. only can reference Pontiac or Chevy in this case, it's all I've dealt with with a T56. I know the T56 had upgraded internals, but the slave has to be about the same.

I have never had an issue with OEM hydraulics (when properly maintained) They work great IMO.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back