What the...?

ntw0rk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
..heck!?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok, anybody else have the little plastic "bolts" under the hood scoop just fall off?! :dontknow::confused:

All 4 of mine have now fallen out, and the only thing holding the hood scoop insert in place is the rubber gasket.

The only thing I can think of, is that they got weakened by heat, and fell out when the hood was shut. ?? :dontknow:

Anybody know how much to replace the insert?

Can you post a picture Scott,did the plastic tips come off or just the bolt?

Brat said:
Can you post a picture Scott,did the plastic tips come off or just the bolt?

The plastic tips broke off... I'll take a pic in a while.

ntw0rk said:
The plastic tips broke off... I'll take a pic in a while.
I would like to see that,never heard of the tips breaking off.:dontknow:

Here ya go...

DSC_1394.jpg

I know it's very dirty...

ntw0rk said:

Ok, anybody else have the little plastic "bolts" under the hood scoop just fall off?! :dontknow::confused:

All 4 of mine have now fallen out, and the only thing holding the hood scoop insert in place is the rubber gasket.

The only thing I can think of, is that they got weakened by heat, and fell out when the hood was shut. ?? :dontknow:

Yes one of mine, the one on the far left when looking at the engine with the hood open is broken. Sucks, they must be overtightened at the factory.

ntw0rk said:

If you don't want to replace it, it's an easy fix with some weatherproof 3m double sided tape. If you take the scoop out there is a perfect spot to place the double sided tape. Just make sure the tape you buy is the thick, cushioned type and waterproof. I'll try to dig up the part number of the tape I bought, but the thickness was perfect (that's what she said) and it will sit flush with the hood as though it was bolted in.

USMC11 said:
If you don't want to replace it, it's an easy fix with some weatherproof 3m double sided tape. If you take the scoop out there is a perfect spot to place the double sided tape. Just make sure the tape you buy is the thick, cushioned type and waterproof. I'll try to dig up the part number of the tape I bought, but the thickness was perfect (that's what she said) and it will sit flush with the hood as though it was bolted in.

Yep... that's the right way to go... :rock:

Be sure you go to Advanced Auto (or AutoZone) and get a good GREASE/WAX Remover. You can find it in the paint supply section. Advanced sells "Kleen Strip Prep-ALL" in a spray can. It's very good stuff.... but, I'm sure AutoZone or Pepboys has a similar brand. Be sure to spray it on the surface you are going to put the tape on so it sticks. Then just re-wax the hood and scoop when you are done. :)

esw362%20image.jpg

So I was just reading in the factory service manual and apparently you are supposed to replace the entire plastic ram air panel if it’s removed for any reason. That makes no sense, maybe because they feel the plastic studs are a onetime use only kind of thing?:dontknow:

Great stuff guys!!

I will be at Autozone tomorrow to get some of the tape and the Prep-All!!

I was gonna paint the the scoop grille and was trying to take one off and it just broke...I think they get brittle from the heat. I chickened out until I can figure out how to do it without screwing something up permanently. Now I have some ideas. Keep us posted Scott, I'm sure there's lots who would want to know what your fix is. Me for one :D

Cruster said:
I was gonna paint the the scoop grille and was trying to take one off and it just broke...I think they get brittle from the heat. I chickened out until I can figure out how to do it without screwing something up permanently. Now I have some ideas. Keep us posted Scott, I'm sure there's lots who would want to know what your fix is. Me for one :D

That's exactly what I was thinking. The heating - cooling - heating cycle is hard on plastic. I am going to try the tape fix today, I will let you know how it goes.

Back