what's inside my driveshaft??

gblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aloha..

I hear a noise like it's my u-joint when I go into 2nd and 3rd, a slight "clunk" when I put it into gear ...sounds like my drivetrain takes small part of a rotation before it connects.......so I jacked up the rear to check it out. There was a little play in the rear diff which seemed normal, so I started rotating the driveshaft back and forth...sounds and feels like there is a weight inside that is loose....anybody out there know what's up with that?? Any other suggestions on why I'm feeling this "clunk"? If I let my foot off the gas in 2nd and then step on it again the "clunk" happens every time....sounds like my drivetrain takes small part of a rotation before it connects......

Mahalo from Maui
Gregg

not my u-joints...

Aloha

Just put in new u-joints...still doing it....could it be in the suspension? Feels like the drive train to me but who knows??

help....

Did you check the splines on the input shaft make sure there all good and not worn, that can cause a slip.

Aloha..splines are fine....I'm stumped..
there is some slack somewhere or it's the suspension in the front..think I'll have it checked out up in the air......

chipr or misin tooth off the pinion or ring gear, busted or loose tranny mount, loose u bolts, bad bearingn in tranny, all sorts of things, hard to diagnose, over the internet " a bump when it goes into gear"

need more information

i think i know what he is talking about. if its what i think it is.....

its the crush washer for the pinion. Basically, there is a soft brass washer that when you tighten the pinion into the rear it forms to fit it snugly. Over time and with abuse they crush past their happy place and then the pinion beomes loose, its actually very common on dodge rears.

the bad part is the only way to know is to tear the rear apart and change it. SOMETIMES you can change them without removing the pinion, most times you must remove the pinion which involves taking out the axleshafts, ring and spider gears, then the pinion shaft.

GL and this is only a POSSIBILITY.....

Stanimal said:
i think i know what he is talking about. if its what i think it is.....

its the crush washer for the pinion. Basically, there is a soft brass washer that when you tighten the pinion into the rear it forms to fit it snugly. Over time and with abuse they crush past their happy place and then the pinion beomes loose, its actually very common on dodge rears.

the bad part is the only way to know is to tear the rear apart and change it. SOMETIMES you can change them without removing the pinion, most times you must remove the pinion which involves taking out the axleshafts, ring and spider gears, then the pinion shaft.

GL and this is only a POSSIBILITY.....
i think you are too sober and technical, hyou need a drink , come her son:p

I know this not the problem, but have you guys ever hear the noise a Detroit Locker makes when hooked to an automatic transmission? The clunk when it makes when you put it into gear is really loud.

Bill.

Yup - I put one in my rockcrawler and thought I had fubar the install until I did some homework...

Begood said:
I know this not the problem, but have you guys ever hear the noise a Detroit Locker makes when hooked to an automatic transmission? The clunk when it makes when you put it into gear is really loud.

Bill.

Don't mean to hijack the thread here but i've noticed that i get a fairly
loud disengagement clunk when i step on the clutch to disengage. This
happens throughout the gears and only when i disengage. Is that just
the centerforce clutch? or is something loose in my drivetrain?

EDIT: forgot to mention it's only when i'm driving relatively slowly. If i'm doing say, a 1-2 3-4 shift
at WOT i don't hear it. But then again i don't hear much ;) Only when i'm disengaging under
or around 3k does it make this noise. I personally don't think i should be worried
about it but thought maybe some of you guys might have heard this too? :dontknow:

Andrew

Last edited:
If it's a qc it sounds normal. Kinda lke when u put it out of park and into drive, you get a light clink sound. Also if I'm rolling then take my foot completely of the gas then hut it again it will make a quick clink sound. Prob due to the auto tranny being hydrualic pressure from wires and not electronic controlled.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back