Wheel Cleaning

JGUZMAN

Reaction score
What's up guys?!

The 10 is put away for the winter... has been since October. It's unbelievable the ungodly amount of salt they use on the roads in Northern Illinois, no thanks! Anyway... I have a few winter projects in mind. One of them is to clean my wheels and make them look as good as humanly possible. I will be polishing, glazing, sealing, and waxing the face of them, but what have you guys done to clean the inside of the wheel? The actual drum part. Theres a lot of crud, I don't want to use harsh chemicals for fear of getting them on the face of the wheel. Scrubbing pads? Anything? Also, has anyone tried using an aluminum polish on this portion of the wheels? and maybe bring the shine out? Any ideas?

Thanks

Absolutely clean the inside of the wheel and paint it. As far as cleaner, I use simple green foam wheel cleaner, never needed anything harsher than that.

I tried simple green once, it didn't remove the crud.... Do you think I can somehow scrub it (with some scrubbing pad) to get all the crud out then polish the inside with aluminum polish and power ball or something of the sort?

I believe that would work.

I have never really tried hard to clean the inside of the wheel except just to take some aluminum wheel cleaner and a scrub brush which worked really well but painting it like Andy was saying is not a bad idea at all. As far as the outside, I did polish mine one time. Get some aluminum wheel cleaner and clean the outside as good as you possibly can. Then get some aluminum wheel polish (not the mix stuff....must say that its for aluminum wheels only) and get one of the power ball cones that goes on a drill. Its gonna be a time consuming process but man do they really shine when you are all said and done. Just make sure to apply and wipe off the polish with terry cloth rags. The last thing you want is hairline scratches in your wheels from using anything abrasive. Also, when you are polishing with the cone, be very careful not to get the chuck of the drill to close to the wheel cause the cone will catch and jerk the chuck of the drill onto your wheel and gash the hell out of it. Just have to be real careful and you will like how it all turns out.

"going mach 2 with my hair on fire!"

Yea, mine are clear coated as well, but I think the clearcoat is only on the face... I guess I should go back and look closer but I thought the inside of the wheels were not coated. I just really dont like how cruddy they look and would loooove to see the insides of them polished.

If they are factory, the inside is clear coated (unless someone removed it)

As the others state, the wheels are clear coated. Treat it as you would the paint on the truck. Clean it, then wax it.

I've used this on my previous truck, Challenger, Viper and current truck with no issues. The insides are just as clean as the outside now.
How harsh is it? Not sure but I can tell you from experience.. don't get it in your eyes (was using a brush and yep.. right in eye).

http://poorboysworld.com/spray-rinse.htm

I used a brush like this and didn't even take the wheels off

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Microfiber-Duster/dp/B00940DV6W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420773783&sr=8-4&keywords=microfiber+brush"]http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Microfiber-Duster/dp/B00940DV6W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420773783&sr=8-4&keywords=microfiber+brush[/ame]

Last edited:
If your inner wheels were are cruddy as mine you will have to use a special solvent to remove the crud. I was forced to use steel wool and finally fine sandpaper to get rid of the residue. You can take them to a wheel refinishing shop but around here it runs about $300.00 per wheel to get back to a factory look.

Thanks guys! I think I'll try poorboy's world wheel cleaner first, and then see what else I need from there.

I wish I had pics of my Vipers wheels. It didn't look like they ever cleaned the inside of them. I couldn't even scrap through all the crap with my fingernail.
The poorboys did the trick. It was recommended to me by a local detailer.

Just make sure that wheels are cool, do one at a time. Spray, leave for a minute, then take a brush or towel and scrub for a bit, then rinse, dry and wax

I pulled the wheels off used Meguiars Wheel Cleaner. Then used the Mothers ball and Mothers polish. Not a mirror finish, but much better.

Try this this is all I use on every car I have. See the reviews on that page or watch on YouTube. It works great for me less scrubbing, and wheels come out perfect every time

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sonax-230200-755-Wheel-Cleaner-Full-Effect/dp/B003UT3S6Q]Amazon.com: Sonax (230200-755) Wheel Cleaner Full Effect - 16.9 fl. oz.: Automotive[/ame]

If people only looked after there stuff from the start. Mine get washed inside and out evertime I clean the truck. It's hard on the hands and I usually end up bleeding but it needs to be done and takes a simple scrub, no crap build up.

I spent the afternoon yesterday with the truck on the hoist and scrubbed the whole underside.

whatever you do don't use a wire brush or wheel on a drill, it will destroy them.

Thank you guys so much! The guy before me didn't do a very good job at keeping it clean... Had swirl marks, wheels are cruddy, he ran it through the car wash (biiiiig no no) so I have to undo ten years of that... All that's left are the wheels. I will try the cleaners first, hopefully I don't have to scrub too much after wards

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back