Whining Noise

Mpolizzano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need some help. I have noticed a whining noise coming from the 10. Only noticeable at higher speeds. Noticeable around 60-80 mph. Just wondering what this could be. FYI, I use the white viper filter and truck has 30,000 miles.

I am catless. Lol. Power steering has lost power a couple times for 5-10 secs. But I'm talking a whining noise that starts at around 60 mph and gets louder as I press the gas. As I let off the gas the whining slowly goes down and when I'm under 60 mph it disappears.

I would check your power steering lines and power steering fluid anyway. Mine did that after I replaced lines and had air in them.

might try kickin it out of gear & see how that affects it

Yes like ZCx says take it out of gear at said speeds. Rev engine to same RPM. Auto trannys like to do this upon going out. Clogged filters, pump starving :(
Whatever it is you'll have to replicate at same speed while ruling out engine, tranny, power steering, etc.

Ok. So ill drop it in neutral and get rpms up to around 2,750 around operating temp. If it doesn't make the noise then that rules out the tranny correct?

Ok. Ill try to check today or tomorrow. The noise only comes sometime after 60 mph and the pitch gets higher as the rpms get higher. Once I drop below the 60 mph mark the noise disappears. Also it has only done it when engine is around 190-195 operating temp.

Ok. Ill try to check today or tomorrow. The noise only comes sometime after 60 mph and the pitch gets higher as the rpms get higher. Once I drop below the 60 mph mark the noise disappears. Also it has only done it when engine is around 190-195 operating temp.

Specifically try to go in neutral at 65 or wherever and while in neutral rev to that same RPM you hear the noise. Could be oil pump pressure relief or tranny. Don't see it being power steering.

possibile.

most common on the '04's & early '05's.

got my info from Kevin @ Exotic Engine. but any of our venders should be able to help ya out. they will need the casting number off the front cover to see if ya need the update

Last edited:
possibile.

most common on the '04's & early '05's.

got my info from Kevin @ Exotic Engine. but any of our venders should be able to help ya out. they will need the casting number off the front cover to see if ya need the update

Yep

Dom
Undefeated on the Internet

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back