White Viper filter blown--rescued

shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st let me express my greatest appreciation to Justin Sandlin (jsandlin). :top: The man drove 38 miles one way with his 3 year old (?) in the back seat to help a fellow VTCoA member out of a real jam. Plus a bonus, had my butt puckered for the 1st time in a long time getting a ride in his sweet Camaro. This gentleman took me to the Dodge dealer to pick up filter and oil, then used his creeper, filter wrench and rags and got down under the truck and did the work for me. I have a replacement knee and it is really hard to get down and up again to even change a tire. I didn’t even have to say anything; he just jumped to the work at hand. Justin is a standup guy and exemplifies what made America great. I also want to give a big thank you to Scott (VENOMOUS1) :top:for posting my problem, being the go between and checking afterword’s that all turned out ok. Also thanks to ULTRADRIVER 10000 and IRONHEAD for offering assistance. The 240 mile ride home was much joy for me knowing there are folks like this around to help an old man out.

2ndly, this is filter number 2 I have blown. First was an aftermarket before I knew the problem with our filters. I bought 3 “VIPER’ filters from my Dodge dealer, used 2 with no problem and the 3rd blew out yesterday. :dontknow: Visible hole in the side, no double gasket. Have never seen my pressure go above 75 pounds so do not believe that is the problem. I drove the truck 2,000 miles before this happened. Looked in the rearview mirror at the car I just blew by and saw the smoke coming from the back of my truck. 1st thought it was a tire, then the rear end leaking, then break line and finally looked and saw the oil flowing from under the front of the truck. Popped the hood to look for a cooling line but not oil there, started the engine, with VENOUMOUS1 on the phone, and saw the big stream coming from the filter, about midway up on the side. Then my guardian angels came to the rescue.

I have a floor jack in the back of the truck and now will also have oil, filter, filter wrench and rags, just in case this happens again. By the way, caught it in time as 4 quarts brought it up to full and after the drive home oil still full and absolutely no problems cept for the need to wash top to bottom. Thanks to all for the help and support. :rock:

:rock::rock::rock:

beautiful beasts:rock::burnout:

beautiful folks:rock::rock::rock:

i have learned over the years that gauges don't show everything. there can be nasty spikes in a system, oil in this case, that won't show on the dash.

might be a by-pass valve stickin

Last edited:
Thats great that you got out of that jam with help from vtcoa. Really cool. Crazy about your filters though, wonder what the deal is with that? I always carry extra oil/filter/rags just incase something like this happens. Hope you have more "trouble free" miles from now on bud!

Followed this story as it unfolded yesterday. All I can say is there are not many people who would go to those extremes to help a follow Human out in there time of need. Great Job to all of those who participated in and offered their help to a stranded Brother.

:congrats:

Followed this story as it unfolded yesterday. All I can say is there are not many people who would go to those extremes to help a follow Human out in there time of need. Great Job to all of those who participated in and offered their help to a stranded Brother.

:congrats:

Maybe it's a Texas thing? We help others because either we've been stranded with no help before, or maybe because most of us carry a gun so no needs to worry about helping a total stranger. While many believe to let a stranded guy just wait on a tow truck or help from someone they know, people in our great state tend to lend a hand or two and do it outta the kindness of our hearts and because our parents, grandparents, and many generations have helped one another in times of need.
For a second, imagine it was the mid 1800s and your cutting across the state in your horse pulled cart and your horse dies ( happened often) or wooden wheel broke, you're stuck in BFE with no such thing as phones, gas stations, dealerships!! We relied on each others kindness to help one another out. Do you think 5-600 other carriages on the Chisolm Trail just passed right by the carriage with the dead horse or broken wheel?? Absolutely not!! Hell back then it was probably a crime to not help another man/woman.
Just a quick rant about the downfall of human kindness and how we must instill into our younger generation not to fear other humans, yet offer kindness and compassion to others in a time of need.

Thanks for reading and glad I could help arrange Justin to meet Shorty. Justin is the carriage that stopped to offer a hand in the middle of the desert while others passed. That speaks his character very well in my book and I've known Justin for about 4-5 years. Only wish everyone could be such stand up people.

Props to Justin for being an outstanding human being!!

To the OP: PM SRTBrad. He can fill you in on exactly why you are having this problem and how to fix it.

Good news, glad to hear all went well

Glad to hear all went well, sounds like your truck is a PITA, Shorty. Hopefully your troubles with it end with this.

I always try to lend a hand, because I'll never know when I might need it from someone in return. Karma I guess if you believe in that. I've bee in that situation before, you feel helpless it sucks. Plus as Venom says I'm always packing so I'm not fearing my fellow man. I've helped push cars, fix cars, and take people to gas stations. If an hour of my time saves you're ass its totally worth it. Plus I always like making new friends.

I've had a member of a car club I belonged to when I lived in NY call me and ask where in Texas I lived because his brakes went out while driving to Mexico. Luckily he was in Houston so I directed him to my house. We wrenched on his Jetta all night, put new lines, rotors and pads on so he was on his way in the morning. NBD

Glad everything worked out and you were able to make it home!

Great to hear. Its always nice to know that there are still some stand up people in this world willing to give others a hand and not expect or require anything in return. They help just because they feel its the right thing to do and thats just the type of person that they are. :rock:

It was good to meet you Shorty. I hope that others would do the same for me or my family if in need. I have always liked being apart of the VTCOA family and have traveled to several GTGs (even Panama City, Fl) to hang out with others that suffer from PA (Performance Anxiety) like myself. Hell I havent even had a 10 for over 2 years and troll this site more that any other. Im glad that Shorty made it home safe and all is well.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back